Arquata del Tronto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wvscorchy

Re: Arquata del Tronto

Post by wvscorchy »

Bill, It seems many Italian immigrants had a "stop" in Philly ...maybe it was a way to meet with other immigrants before moving to other parts of the US, smaller towns, rural areas .. a way to learn some English and have a support network before going to your "permanent" home. I have seen several names listed for the same address on Christian St. Some of our ancestors ended up returning to Italy. It was nice hearing from you. I searched the Ellis Island records for Antonio Colacicco found Antonio Liberato Colacicco. (Is this your grandfather?) He sailed on the Prinzess Irene from Port of Naples (manifest Line 0005) , a laborer from Cervara, Caserta arrived May 18, 1913, 18 yrs old Single Male 5'5" tall with a scar on forehead, father Guiseppi .. at least 5 others from Cervara, Caserta sailed on the ship with him ....my grandfather's trip to the US was similar...several others from Colle sailed together to the US ...the writing on this ship manifest is more difficult to read than the one listing my grandfather's information ..difficult to read the destination info. Ellis Island records were a great resource for researching the info about my grandfather. Others (from Colle) who sailed on the ship with my grandfather were friends and cousins. You may find some other relatives if you search the entire passenger list for this sailing. England is a long way from Philly ...you must have an interesting story about how the family migrated to England. Cindi
bill52pa

Post by bill52pa »

Hi Cindi, nice to hear from you. My grandfather was on the Duca Degli Abruzzi which sailed from Genova in April 1909 and arrived May 10th 1909. His name Antonio Colacicco (don;t know his middle name). I can see his name on the manifest as being Angelo.
He came from Ausonia, Caserta. He settled permanently in Philly living mist of his life in Christian St. That was the point of interest when I asw the posting in this forum.
Bill
wvscorchy

Post by wvscorchy »

Bill, Ahh, okay. I saw the "Angelo" listing....thought it may have been another family member. Have fun researching your family history. Cindi
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

Since this is a place to talk about Arquata, is there anyone here that has roots to Vincenzo Lauri or Filomena Santolini....their children were Lewis (Laurie in the US) Lauri and Maria Lauri....there also was another son I thought I found named Arturo (Arthur Lowery in the US) Lauri.....

The records are so misleading on ancestry.com. I have seen where Lauro means Lauri as well, but how are we to know if a Vincenzo Lauri is the same person as a Vncenzo Lauro if their birth dates were about 1863 and 1864 in different places.......

Any sleuthing tips?
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

For instance, a search of the Ellis Islands records for "Vincenzo Lauri" - born abt 1862 in Italy yields these results....

Vincenzo Lauria - abt 1861, traveled 1911
Vincenzo Loru' - abt 1863, traveled 1920
Vincenzo Di Lorie - abt 1862, traveled 1913
Vincenzo Lauri - no birth date, traveled 1952
Vincenzo Lauro - abt 1862 (Oschia), traveled 1920, again in 1903, and 1904
Vincenzo Lorio - abt 1859, traveled in 1911

Am I to assume that these are all the same person?
wvscorchy

Post by wvscorchy »

It takes some time to research similar names. Looking at just a few of the Vicenzo Lauri names..you need to see age of person/when they sailed/ where they were from/where they were going/who they were going to "stay with" in US,etc. Also, read the manifest through other parts to see who traveled from same originating city/who had similar name, etc. look at ages/description/marital staus/ "where from"/"where to" ... On the Roma (March 1906), he traveled with Marizmo Lauri; Corvaro, Enricol; and Capodarco, Pasquale ...all going to Thurmond, WV you just need to be checking details and trying to find the parts that support your idea that it may be the same person..it helps if you know their originating city in Italy and where they traveled to in the US. Some ship manifests are fairly easy to read, some are very difficult to read. Good luck! Have fun "sorting" the information from the ship manifest. If you read the entries from left to far right, you can see much more info about the person you are researching ....scars, etc
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

Thanks scortchy, what part of WV you are you in....I was born in Beckley, go back every summer. My great aunt just passed away last week so that ends my last living relative there. Kinda sad that I have no more connections to a place I have visited my entire life.

It looks like I am going to have to get really indepth in my searches since my family was so secretive. I wish I had asked more questions while they we all still alive.

- Jay
wvscorchy

Post by wvscorchy »

My family settled in northern West Virginia (Preston County)...Bretz, Masontown, Kingwood area. Some are in Morgantown. I live in Fairmont. Also, when you read the manifest...go across the row to read a physical description, occupation, hair/eye color, it is noted if individual could read/write, etc. It also lists originating city and destination, sometimes the relative in Italy(ie.father Antonio) and then name and address of place "going to" in US...you have to go to next page to finish reading all of the info ..... maybe you will find some relatives still living in WV :) From my research, I found that they did not usually "travel alone"...there were usually several traveling from same small community together on the ship...I would think that the one who traveled to Thurmond, WV is likely one of your relatives, since that is not far from Beckley area.
leftturnlady

Post by leftturnlady »

The building on Christian St in Phily was the Bank of Italy. Many of the immigrants went there to exchange money and to see the jobs posted across the county. Next door was and is Fiorelli's sausage shop which is still standing. Bank of Italy was replaced by a laundrymat then a warehouse before being torn down. Today the place is a vacant lot.
wvscorchy

Post by wvscorchy »

Thanks for the information. :)
marco.c83

Post by marco.c83 »

Hello everyone, my name is Marco Ciampanella, and my great-grandfather Carmine Ciampanella of Colle d'Arquata del Tronto born in 1870, arrived in America in 1913 to work in Philadelphia, went to his relative Peter Lalli after a train accident (I was working at the station in Philadelphia) where he was a leg amputated and was back in Italy. Can you help me to find some document about his life in America and related to his accident? thanks