Vincenzo v Charles

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
censcore

Vincenzo v Charles

Postby censcore » 19 Jun 2010, 22:34

Why are Italian men named and baptized Vincenzo (var. forms) called Charles or Charlie during their lives. Ive noticed this not only in my family's records but in others as well--generations of men.

nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Vincenzo v Charles

Postby nazca » 22 Jun 2010, 16:47

Hi,
i've a relative in my tree born Vincent (Vincenzo in italian )and died Charles, but i don't know why. I'm not sure but Charles was the second name and maybe they preferred the second name because more easy to say??

best regards

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

mozzie
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Vincenzo v Charles

Postby mozzie » 23 Jun 2010, 05:48

I think it could be a local idiom, I have a Giuseppe that was called Charlie (Charles) in my family. Most of the other names were changed to their english form eg. Vittorio - Victor, there was one example however that stands out an Enrico was known as Harry. None of these individuals had middle names.

David

Return to “Italian Genealogy”