What are the chances .. Italian Nobility

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

What are the chances .. Italian Nobility

Postby JamesBianco » 22 Jun 2010, 14:39

I recently hired a researcher (Joe diSimone) to go to the church where my great-great grandmother was born and try to get further back. The church allowed him in ( Crispano , Provincia Napoli ) and he was able to copy some amazing images of the registers regarding my ancestors.

One of the surnames he found in my direct line stuck out as unusual to me. Having been at this for a long time, I had not seen it before.

my newfound ancestor was

Caterina Loffredo she was born about 1745 in or immediately around the city of Naples. she married Pierto Pascale, and died in Crispano . Crispano is literally a stones throw away from Naples, and Loffredo is not a Crispano surname. It IS however a very illustrious Noble family from Naples, as this amazing website illustrates..

Loffredo of Naples

So here's the question for those of you who have experience with Italian Nobility. What is the likelihood my Caterina Loffredo descends from this family. My initial reaction is pretty good, as the name is not very common, and she is from Naples, as are they.

Now to sort out how to prove it!

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: What are the chances .. Italian Nobility

Postby maestra36 » 22 Jun 2010, 17:40

Thanks for sharing this info. My husband has Loffredo ancestry from the town of San Gregorio Matese which is in Caserta province. and about an hour and 40 mins or so from Naples. In going through the state civil records for that town, I never came across anything that would indicate that these ancestors were descendants of nobility, and I am back to the early 1700s with that surname. Also no Caterinas in my database with that surname. I haven't had a chance yet to study the info in your link, but I plan to do so.

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Postby aliza24 » 23 Jun 2010, 03:52

Maestra- we meet again! Good ole' San Gregorio Matese talk- I've done a lot of research in SGM and that whole area too. I've got people from towns all over there- a little NE of Napoli.

The Loffredo / Loffreda last name is common in those parts. And Maestra is right I haven't seen anything either that indicates any noble lines.

I don't know... you can always look into it but odds are usually pretty slim on the nobility thing. And usually there will be some type of notation in the records indicating they were a noble family. Did Joe see anything pointing in that direction?

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 23 Jun 2010, 10:04

Just for reference:
http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/gen ... &t=cognomi

The name isn't too uncommon.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”