Italiano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JamieT

Italiano

Postby JamieT » 23 Jun 2010, 03:42

Hello everyone!

I am writing on behalf of my friend, Sr. Frances Italiano, MSC who is looking for information regarding her family that might be in America.

Her father was Italian, who came to America as a boy and later returned to Italy where she was born. The family later emigrated to Australia because Mussolini would not let them go to America.

The last name of the family is Italiano.

Her father was Domenic Italiano, born March 4, 1889 in Delianova Reggio Colabria in Southern Italy. His wife was named Versace.

He had two brothers, Pasquale-born in 1879 and Giuseppe-born in 1891 who also came to America, and remained. Sr. Frances would like any information about these two brothers and any relation they may have still in America.

Her grandfather was Antonio Italiano, and her grandmother was Concetta (Tripodi) Italiano of the same village.

JamieT

Re: Italiano

Postby JamieT » 23 Jun 2010, 03:43

Also, I do not speak very much Italian at all, so answers that are in English are appreciated! Thank You!

Sr. Frances is aged member of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, so if that information is helpful, please let me know if I can provide anymore insight. Thanks!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Jun 2010, 10:12

First, Dominick -> Domenico.

Please click to visit the Australia National Archives website: http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Login.htm

Click "Guest" to login as such, then on the next page, enter "domenico italiano" (without the quotes) and change the "as All words" dropdown to "as Phrase".

Click "Search" and on the next page, click "Display".

Unfortunately, none of the records found are available online yet (it seems the archives is slowly scanning all documents so that you can simply click a link to view them). For any document that seems relevant, you click the link labeled "Control Symbol" for instructions on how to request copies.

PS: Searching for "pasquale italiano" turns up a record titled:

"ITALIANO Michelangelo - [Application for naturalisation including Application for Admission to Australia of Friend or Relative - VERSACE Giuseppe, PAPALIA Maria, ITALIANO Benincasa Giuseppina, Domenico, Francesco, Fortunato, ITALIANO Filippo, ITALIANO Pasquale, ITALIANO Giuseppe]"

Note: Application for Naturalisation for several members of the Italiano family including Pasquale, Domenico, and Giuseppe! Possibly Michelangelo was their father?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

JamieT

Postby JamieT » 23 Jun 2010, 12:54

I am not sure. Domenico went to Australia with his family during WWII, but Pasquale and Giuseppe went to America and stayed there. To my knowledge and Sr. Frances knowledge, the other two brothers never went to Australia. I can try those archives at a later date to see what I can find, but I am not altogether sure what will come of it.

Thanks for the link, however. It may come in handy.

Also, the birthdate for Pasquale would have been 1897, not 1879. Sorry! :)

The main interest in this search is to find any relations coming from Giusseppe and Pasquale. From my research, it seems as if Domenico came through Ellis Island and he was raised in Brooklyn. However, Sr. Frances remembers her father talking about New York and Pennsylvania. Perhaps there is some information in those areas that could be found.

I am hoping that this search proves fruitful as Sr. Frances would appreciate knowing if there are any cousins still alive that she could connect before thye become to old to stay in contact.
Thanks

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 23 Jun 2010, 14:37

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 23 Jun 2010, 14:43

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 23 Jun 2010, 14:47

JamieT

Postby JamieT » 05 Sep 2010, 17:12

Thank You and I will look into all of these links. I was away for a long time for personal reasons and I am resuming the search now. :)

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 05 Sep 2010, 17:38

Let us know how else we can help.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”