Nome "Onorio"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Nome "Onorio"

Postby johnnyonthespot » 29 Jun 2010, 14:25

Any thoughts on an anglicized version of given name "Onorio" would be appreciated.

Carmine
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Nome "Onorio"

Postby maestra36 » 29 Jun 2010, 16:54

I have never seen the first name Onorio and don't know for sure what the anglicized version of it would be, but I believe it would be Honor. You may already know the derivation of the name, but I am posting the following anyway:

Onorio - deriva dal soprannome poi nome latino "Honorius" che ha radice in "honos" che significa "onore, dignità. Il nome si lega al prestigio di vari papi omonimi. Si ricorda Flavio Onorio, imperatore romano d’Occidente fra il IV e V secolo. E’ comune, al femminile la variante Onorina.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 29 Jun 2010, 17:39

The female version is Honoria, which is more common in England than the US. I suppose the male version might be Honorio, which is not very common at all.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 29 Jun 2010, 18:53

I am thinking someone saddled with that name might simply opt for "John". :)

I have an Onorio Gallinelli in my family who married my paternal grandfather's sister - or possibly sister-in-law - Maria. I have found his WWI Draft Card and a 1904 manifest for him, but nothing else and nothing for Maria.

The draft card puts them at a spefic address in September, 1918 but less than two years later, the 1920 census shows no sign of them at that address nor in the surrounding ED.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”