travel in the 1900.s from italy to brazil and united states

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

travel in the 1900.s from italy to brazil and united states

Postby debbie365 » 05 Jul 2010, 12:32

i have records for my great grand mothershowing her coming to the usa 3 timesearly 1900,s also just found out my grand father was born in brazil. in 1903. was it expensive to travel back then? it confuses me because she lived in the town of ururi and from what my grand father said it was poor with dirt floors.also she had 3 children in tow.she eventually ended up in montreal. she must have had some money to do this i assume?

corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: travel in the 1900.s from italy to brazil and united sta

Postby corrado » 05 Jul 2010, 22:39

It was relativley expensive, to travel back and forth, but people did it anyway.
Perhaps she had some money as you say... I have found a lot of people came here didn't like it and went back. It was not unusual for a husband to come over stay for a year to get a nest egg and send money back for the passage of the family.

debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Re: travel in the 1900.s from italy to brazil and united sta

Postby debbie365 » 06 Jul 2010, 02:42

yes my great grand father came back and fourth 4 times also but 1914 he stayed in boston until his tragic death in boston 1918. iam just trying to understand my great grand mother i would have thought she would be in her home taking care of her kids and house. thanks for the input i tried to google it but didnt come up with much thanks again :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”