finding birth rec in pedula - general question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jazdrv

finding birth rec in pedula - general question

Postby jazdrv » 06 Jul 2010, 02:48

hello,

i'm wondering how to go about getting the required info
to get a birth cert for a relative born in padula around 1905 to 1910.

we know the name, the location. but that's all.

this person moved out of the country at a young age (not sure when). he had no kids in italy (or at least we're unaware of any). and as for the parents -- we don't know this either. nor do we know the birth date unfortunately.

as i understand, padula's population (in the province of salerno) is about 5000 currently. so i can't imagine sifting through the records would be too difficult!

is this information publicly available? would we need to go there? or are we pretty much screwed if we don't have the bdate?

the name is GUERRA if that helps...

thanks in advance...

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: finding birth rec in pedula - general question

Postby JohnArmellino » 06 Jul 2010, 03:05

The Registri dello stato civile of Padula (Salerno), 1866-1910, has been filmed by the LDS. The films can be rented and viewed at the Family History Centers operated by the LDS. Go to www.familysearch.com to view the film details (go to FamilyHistoryLibraryCatalog) and to find the nearest FHC. Based on your time period, you should be able to find the birth record in these films.
John Armellino

jazdrv

Postby jazdrv » 08 Jul 2010, 20:33

another question -- are the actual centers better than the web site? or is it pretty much the same information, same search engine? cuz i'm not finding anything nor any clues as to where to proceed next with familysearch.com that fits my profile. :(

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 08 Jul 2010, 20:39

The information that appears on familysearch.org is info that has been contributed by other researchers. Even those who have done research of the records in your town may not have contributed the info to the website. There is a lot of information to be learned about your ancestry by doing research of your town's microfilmed records. It can be tedious and difficult research, and also can get expensive, but it is the best way to really learn about your ancestry. So, if you have a family history center near where you live, you should definitely go there and rent some of your town's microfilmed records. Just don't overload yourself with a lot of microfilms at once.

michele68
Rookie
Rookie

Postby michele68 » 04 Oct 2010, 21:23

I am from Padula. In my search I found surname Guerra.
If you want you can write me.
GENEALOGY SERVICES in Campania, Basilicata, Calabria regions, Italy

Return to “Italian Genealogy”