Sicilian Ancestor Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Blakeb

Sicilian Ancestor Help

Postby Blakeb » 08 Jul 2010, 22:32

This may be a pipe dream but I have found a Sicilian ancestor from the 1500s and I could use some help finding out information on him. His name was Dominic Buschier (though i have seen various spellings) from Menfi. He was born in 1521. I believe he was a merchant, but that is not a definite. At some point he moved to Rouen and married Genevieve Clerke. The two of them found their way to London where he died in 1596 and she died in 1620. I have tried familysearch and ancestry.com but I think I am to the point I would have to get info straight from Sicily but I dont know Italian or who to contact. Any help would be appreciated.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian Ancestor Help

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Jul 2010, 22:39

dear Blake your going to research first 25 and then 43 BUSCHIER surnamed persons in the 1500's in Italy (Sicily mostly) at www.familysearch.org under ancestor search. Just put in the surname BUSCHIER and nothing else and click search. When the listings come up click at the bottom for Italy for the remaining 43 . Happy researching. =Peter=
~Peter~

Blakeb

Postby Blakeb » 08 Jul 2010, 22:45

Peter, Thanks. I had tried familysearch before and didn't find anything other than his wife, which I already knew. I went back again, after your suggestion, to make sure I didnt miss anything. I was just curious if there was a way to find anything else before he was married.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Jul 2010, 22:50

did you find what I described to you...you didn't say? =Peter=
~Peter~

Blakeb

Postby Blakeb » 09 Jul 2010, 12:34

Yes, I have been to familysearch several times and looked at every entry.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Jul 2010, 12:55

Now we are at the threshhold of 15th century research (went thru that exciting period myself) which will require an intense effort on your part. Perhaps heraldry sites may ferret out some Menfi connections and history

in 1559 thru 1713 Spain ruled most of Italy so this might have provided the impetus for your ancestor to journey North. Just a thought. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”