Foundlings in or around Rota Greca Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dianesato

Foundlings in or around Rota Greca Calabria

Postby dianesato » 10 Jul 2010, 23:52

I would like to know what the drop off areas were in 1887-1888 in the Calabria/Rota greca area. Were there orphanages or churchs that the mother could drop them off at? My grandmother was raised in this area. The family story was that she was a orphan. I have heard of the documents were called dozzier that I could really find out if she was really a foundling or not. Can you tell me more about this document and how do I ask for it.
Thank you for your time.
Diane

MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Foundlings in or around Rota Greca Calabria

Postby MaurizioPerrone » 11 Jul 2010, 19:03

There are many possibility, the baby can be born at the house of the mother from a midwife who bring the baby to the comune and declare the birth, the baby can be born at the orphanage and the official from the orphange bring the baby the the comune and declare the birth, the baby can be abandon at the door of some person in the town (maybe some person the mother know and has much trust), or the door of the orphanage and then the person who find the child bring the baby to the comune and declare the birth .... and many more possibility.

You must write to the comune of your grandmother birth and request l'estratto dell'atto di nascita (extract of the birth act). This document will give you the informations you search for the circumstances of the birth of your grandmother.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Foundlings in or around Rota Greca Calabria

Postby PeterTimber » 11 Jul 2010, 19:19

www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/81-rota-greca

Scroll down to MUNICIPIO for address of the Uffico di Stato Civile, Anagrafe (census). Documents are free of charge. www to the right is for tourist stuff.

If you need form letters in Italian langiage let us know. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”