Looking for Avattaneo, Benaudo, Eesta, Sola in Torino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jennschwab

Looking for Avattaneo, Benaudo, Eesta, Sola in Torino

Postby jennschwab » 11 Jul 2010, 23:43

Hi there, My great-grandfather Alberto Avattaneo was originally from Torino. Supposedly, he had two brothers but I don't know their names. One of them reportedly moved to France and the other to Argentina sometime during or after WWII. My great-grandmother's maiden name was Lucia Sola. Alberto was reportly disowned by his family for marrying Lucia because her family was very poor and his was very wealthy. Any info on any of the names Avattaneo, Benaudo, or Sola in the Piemonte region that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Filippo Avattaneo (b. Torino, Italy)
/
Alberto Avattaneo 1882-1966 (b. Chieri, Piemonte, Italy)
\
Annetta Bonaudo

Lorenzo Sola b. 1853- (b. Casalgrasso, Italy)
/
Lucia Sola 1879-abt1968 (b.Ruffia, Cuneo, Piemonte, Italy)
\
Vincenza Eesta b. 1851- (b. Sangano, Piemonte, Italy)

vj
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Avattaneo, Benaudo, Eesta, Sola in Torino

Postby vj » 12 Jul 2010, 13:26

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!
Many folks have had success learning about their family by writing to potential relatives.
Since you already know the correct comune(s), this may help you locate family currently living in Italy.
Valarie

White pages:
http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

If needed:
Form Letter to a Possible Relative

jennschwab

Postby jennschwab » 12 Jul 2010, 13:34

Thank you for the information, do you recommend including both the English and the Italian in the contact letter? I don't read or speak Italian, so it could be a problem if they reply in Italian only.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 12 Jul 2010, 13:43

I suppose, there's no reason not to include English with the Italian version of the letter.
(English is taught in Italian schools)

You may want to include a self addressed envelope (without stamps) and your email address.

When you get a response you can post it on the forum under "Italian language, handwriting , script & translations" for translation help

Valarie

jennschwab

Postby jennschwab » 12 Jul 2010, 13:44

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. This side of my family has been so hard to research.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Jul 2010, 13:45

Your sending a form letter in Italian and I am sure it will be no problem to have their response, if any, translated. We can direct your efforts at that point so don't fret. Where are you located anyway so that we can orient you accordingly. =Peter=
~Peter~

jennschwab

Postby jennschwab » 12 Jul 2010, 13:54

I'm near Cincinnati. There's a good Genealogy collection here but I've still be stumped on my grandfather's family. Some of them seemed to have disappeared when they came to America. But I've been unable to find death records on them either. I found a couple of city directories with them in the early 1900's after their arrival but the trail goes dead after that. No census records, nothing. But I'm more interested in following the trail back to Torino. The only documents I have are my grandfather's baptismal certificate and his parent's marriage document. But even with those, I've had little luck finding any Italian records online. Ancestry.com has been great for so many things, but not Italian records.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Jul 2010, 14:00

You might be better off sending form letters in Italian to the place of origin for your family members. Go to this website and just follow directions

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html

However is TORINO the actual place of origin (birth, marriage) or is a town or village in the Province of Torino which encompasses many towns and villages? In Italy most frecords are in the place of origin. Please let us know and we can give you the address. =Peter=
~Peter~

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 12 Jul 2010, 14:02

jennschwab wrote:I'm near Cincinnati. There's a good Genealogy collection here but I've still be stumped on my grandfather's family. Some of them seemed to have disappeared when they came to America. But I've been unable to find death records on them either. I found a couple of city directories with them in the early 1900's after their arrival but the trail goes dead after that. No census records, nothing. But I'm more interested in following the trail back to Torino. The only documents I have are my grandfather's baptismal certificate and his parent's marriage document. But even with those, I've had little luck finding any Italian records online. <a href="http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> has been great for so many things, but not Italian records.

We would be happy to help you track down your missing US records.
If you would like to post the information here or in a new post, we'll see what we can do to help.
For Italian records, have you tried the microfilm at your local Family History Center?
Just click 'Library' on the tool bar, 'Library Catalog, then 'Place Search' for available film:

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
You may want to call first to verify the hours they're open.
Most centers are staffed with very helpful volunteers.

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide

Valarie

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 12 Jul 2010, 14:07

Hi Val :D

Just for references, the 1913 arrival manifest:

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002

Laura

jennschwab

Postby jennschwab » 12 Jul 2010, 14:11

Peter, Torino may the actual place for at least one of the relatives but the limited information that I have on the others, suggests that they were born in those other towns. Also, I clicked your link but it took me to a page not found.

Valarie,
Thanks for the helpful information! I believe there is a Family History Center here at the National Underground Railroad museum. I've been meaning to go there but I haven't yet. I'll have to try to make the effort to block out some time and go. In the meantime, I'll definitely check the links you provided. Thanks!

jennschwab

Postby jennschwab » 12 Jul 2010, 14:13

Laura, Thanks for those links, I do have that manifest though. I've found that one and two others with Lucia Sola's parents arriving but then I lose track of them after a year in Toledo. I know even less about their family than I do about the Avattaneo's though.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Jul 2010, 14:16

Dear Jenn sorry for the typo.
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html

=Peter=
~Peter~

jennschwab

Postby jennschwab » 12 Jul 2010, 14:16

Thanks Peter!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Jul 2010, 14:37

Just a thought since TORINO is such a major city try sending an e-mail in simple english to their vital statistics office asking for whatever document you wish. e-mail address is SERVIZI.CIVICI@CERT.COMUNE.TORINO.IT

The street address for snail mail is UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE, 10122 VIA DELLA CONSOLATA 23, TORINO, ITALY =

=Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”