Royal blood in Calabria? Please help.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Carolann

Royal blood in Calabria? Please help.

Postby Carolann » 13 Jul 2010, 02:53

I am a first generation Italian American and as knowledgeable as I am about relatives names, birthdates etc.. there has been a family secret kept for decades. I am a college student and currently studying in Italy and will be for the next few weeks. My famiy origins (maternally) are Calabrese (Cosenza, in fact), from Fiumefreddo. Recently it has gotten out that my maternal great- grandfather was in fact adopted and his birth mother has been rumored to be a princess (or of some type of royal blood). His birthname is Eugenio, family name (to which he was adopted) Passolo. I do not have his exact birthdate on me but I am guessing he was born in the 1910's, possibly even earlier, as my grandmother was born in 1934 and is one of the youngest of 11. Any leads would be greatly appreciated, as Im in Italy currently,and are collaborating with mentors on research.

Grazie!

MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Royal blood in Calabria? Please help.

Postby MaurizioPerrone » 13 Jul 2010, 14:24

I think probably your great-grandfather was a trovatello, a foundling baby born illegitimate. The records in Italy are all very complete, so to find informations about your great-grandfather, you must simply write to the comune where he was born and request l'estratto dell'atto di nascita (birth act). This document will tell you some facts about his birth. If you are in Italy, perhaps you can go to the town and ask the official for permissions to consult the birth act of you great-grandfather?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Jul 2010, 14:32

If your in Italy and collaborating with mentors on your research what do you seek from any of us here in this forum? Please be specific. =Peter=
~Peter~

Carolann

Postby Carolann » 13 Jul 2010, 18:28

The story goes that apparently his birth mother, a supposed princess who at the time was merely 15 or 16 yrs old, knew the Passolo family, and in turn gave the child to them in a secret adoption, i dont believe there are any legal documents on it, which makes this even more difficult. If there is any way anyone could find the royal family in that region during that time in which he was born into it could help me link together my family's past.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Jul 2010, 19:53

Youy mean Nobility (like earl, dukes, barons etc?) rather than Royalty (kings, queens,prince and princess, heirs such as royal grandchildren?) =Peter=
~Peter~

MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MaurizioPerrone » 13 Jul 2010, 20:08

In genealogy searches, is very important to always work from known facts and work back in time. So for your purpose, what you must do to make a search of facts is contact the comune in the town of your great-grandfather birth and make request for his birth act (l'estratto dell'atto di nascita). This will give you the informations you need to find the situation of your great-grandfather birth.

Probably there is no secret adoptions, I believe is most probably that your great grandfather was a trovatello and is given to some local family to raise from when he is a baby. The surname Passolo probably given to him by the town official, was different name from the family who raises him. Is common situation in Italy, very very common. You find the birth act of your great grandfather and you will know the facts of his birth.

Carolann

Postby Carolann » 14 Jul 2010, 01:58

can someone send me the link for the richiesta per il documento di nascita, i searched the cosenza, calabria one as well as one on ancestry.com, and his name doesnt appear to be anywhere. grazie.

MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MaurizioPerrone » 14 Jul 2010, 13:17

What is the name of the town where your great-grandfather is born? Not the town where he is raise with the family, but the town where he is born. We can give you the contact informations if you tell us the name of the town.

I think probably these records are not online, most town in Italy do not have no records online to do searches, so you must write to the comune.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 14 Jul 2010, 14:01

The Mormon church family history library has microfilms of the civil records for many many cities,towns and villages (all COMUNE!) whichare not on the internet but canbe rented in a library neafrest your home for about $5.00 and have all births,marrigages and deaths listed. Go to www.familysearch.org for their location. =Peter=
~Peter~

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Postby Joannsalvo » 15 Jul 2010, 00:28

There is a family tree that has an eugenio Passolo on ancestry.com from
st. baizi, cosenza born 1900.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Jul 2010, 01:48

Purchase borrow compan ion book for Mormon church microfilms Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson. =Peter=
~Peter~

jcaputo

Postby jcaputo » 20 Sep 2010, 15:30

CarolAnn, my Great Grandfather on my mother's side was also Eugenio Passolo from Fiumefreddo Bruzio, Calabria. His wife was Carolina Curatola. Could it be that we're related? We heard he was adopted too. As far as I know, the family who adopted him are now in Brazil. Wish I knew more. My Grandmother is their firstborn of 11, Fortunata Passolo Frangella.

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Postby Joannsalvo » 24 Sep 2010, 22:56

Have you tried:

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.fac ... AB8E.node1

To register is free.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”