DiMarco, Casale near Picinisco.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DiMarco

DiMarco, Casale near Picinisco.

Postby DiMarco » 03 May 2004, 16:18

Can anybody help me find information on the Dimarco family from Casale (I think!), near Picinisco. My grandfather, Angelo, came over to Maidstone in Kent from Italy. The family ran an Ice Cream parlour in the town. I would be grateful for any information.
Thanks
Richard
My grandfather was Angelo DiMarco who came with his parents from a hamlet near Picinisco to Maidstone, in Kent. They ran an Ice Cream Parlour in the town. I am trying to find out more information on the family.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: DiMarco, Casale near Picinisco.

Postby suanj » 03 May 2004, 18:00

DiMarco wrote:Can anybody help me find information on the Dimarco family from Casale (I think!), near Picinisco. My grandfather, Angelo, came over to Maidstone in Kent from Italy. The family ran an Ice Cream parlour in the town. I would be grateful for any information.
Thanks
Richard

HI: Casale is an little fraction of Picinisco town(Frosinone province-Lazio region)..currently not are Di Marco persons living in Casale , but in Picinisco are only 1 person ..

http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... co&x=0&y=0

Di Marco surname is very diffused in all Frosinone province, but in the past also in Picinisco.. an Di Marco Michele (born in 1890 in Picinisco)is listed between died persons of "Arandora Star" http://gallery.quotidiano.net/documenti ... 51-200.htm
regards, suanj

DeMarco

Postby DeMarco » 02 Sep 2004, 21:52

I can't tell you much about your family specifically but I can tell you about Casale. It's a collection of a few houses strung out along a dried up river bed. Its nearest hamlet is San Gennaro (near where my family, DeMarco, comes from) which overlooks Casale in the valley below. I think Casale may still have a few people living there but not many...Of course, if you've been there, then all of this is nothing new.

My father also opened up an ice cream parlour, but in Battersea, London.

Ciao

Neil

lendag

Postby lendag » 03 Sep 2004, 23:23

Neil,
A Good omen. The day I register wth Italian Genealogy the first message I read is of great interest to me. First my grand father Eugenio emigrated to Edinburgh from Immoglie ( just down the hill from Picinisco) and that is just a short walk from your San Gennaro and Casale. His birth cert. atually says Di Agostino so it must have been easier to say D'Agostino when he came to UK.

My great grand father Angelantonio De Marco and his wife Maria Carmela Crolla left Picinisco around 1884. Also to Edinburgh. Do we have a connection? He had a house in Picinisco. I know who his parents were in fact I have his line going back to 1642. Does anyone else have a Picinisco DeMarco or D'Agostino. I'm aware there are other varations Di Marco etc.
This is a nice website
Ciao
Leonard D'Agostino

DeMarco

Postby DeMarco » 05 Sep 2004, 13:19

Hello Leonard

You've obviously done a lot more research about your family than I have been able to do on mine! How did you manage to trace your family back to 1642? I used parish records from the church in Picinisco but drew a blank at about 1850. I couldn't go further back without knowing the date of birth of the parents of my great grandfather...

Speaking of Crolla: just below San Gennaro is a cluster of houses called Le Chiuselle (I think) which was populated by Crollas - my father had a friend there called Sammy Crolla (from Glasgow - which is where my grandparents' families emigrated to) whom we used to visit when I was a lad on holiday there

My sister lives in Edinburgh. She's married to Carlo deFelice but he doesn't know any D'Agostino family members.

Ciao

Neil

Xavier

Postby Xavier » 06 Nov 2004, 00:24

My Grandfather Agostino De Marco (Dimarco) came originally from the Casale as did his brother and his cousins. They started Ice Cream Parlours in several English south coast towns, although my grandfather returned for a time to Picinisco where he built house and also started a photographic studio. He took many photos around Picinisco in the 1920's before returning to England prior to WW2. As aliens, my grandparents were interned in a camp in the Isle of Man, I still have the Piccolo Manuale di Preghiere issued to the internees. Dated 1941, it's flyleaf reads - I Missionari Italiani Al Loro Connazionali Compagni di Internamento. My father, being of dual nationality was at first fired from his job as an air raid warden because he was Italian, then perversely conscripted into the British army as he also had a British passport.

I visited Picinisco in the late 1950's, my grandparents had returned to live there. Picinisco was much more primitive then. The road from the valley was made from broken limestone rocks but few cars made the journey. The old walled town was full of donkeys bringing impossible loads of wood from the mountains and their smell and flies were everywhere in the narrow streets. Most houses had no water and relied on the local well, the girls carried the water on their heads using a headscarf as a cushion.

My father and uncle were keen film makers and I still a large box of their 16mm films (and the Kodak clockwork cine camera they used) many taken in Picinisco mainly featuring relatives also on holiday. Im going on too much now... so I'll stop.

lendag

Postby lendag » 29 Nov 2004, 08:01

Xavier wrote:My Grandfather Agostino De Marco (Dimarco) came originally from the Casale as did his brother and his cousins. They started Ice Cream Parlours in several English south coast towns, although my grandfather returned for a time to Picinisco where he built house and also started a photographic studio. He took many photos around Picinisco in the 1920's before returning to England prior to WW2. As aliens, my grandparents were interned in a camp in the Isle of Man, I still have the Piccolo Manuale di Preghiere issued to the internees. Dated 1941, it's flyleaf reads - I Missionari Italiani Al Loro Connazionali Compagni di Internamento. My father, being of dual nationality was at first fired from his job as an air raid warden because he was Italian, then perversely conscripted into the British army as he also had a British passport.

I visited Picinisco in the late 1950's, my grandparents had returned to live there. Picinisco was much more primitive then. The road from the valley was made from broken limestone rocks but few cars made the journey. The old walled town was full of donkeys bringing impossible loads of wood from the mountains and their smell and flies were everywhere in the narrow streets. Most houses had no water and relied on the local well, the girls carried the water on their heads using a headscarf as a cushion.

My father and uncle were keen film makers and I still a large box of their 16mm films (and the Kodak clockwork cine camera they used) many taken in Picinisco mainly featuring relatives also on holiday. Im going on too much now... so I'll stop.

howars01
Rookie
Rookie

Postby howars01 » 21 Jan 2007, 18:19

Hello Xavier,

I know your original post was a long time ago, but I live in Maidstone and I remember the DiMarco parlour very well, it was extremely popular.

I attach an article that may be of interest to you.

My great-uncle, Luigi Minchella, was also interned in the Isle of Man in 1940.

Susan

howars01
Rookie
Rookie

Postby howars01 » 21 Jan 2007, 18:26

Sorry, can't seem to post the attachment - I'll have to ask the moderator why!

Susan

Xavier

Postby Xavier » 21 Jan 2007, 19:14

Hi howars01

My name is Agostino De Marco and I have a website about Picinisco and my family at www.voluta.co.uk. I have a page with photos about internment - you can go to it directly at http://www.voluta.co.uk/sitedata/uk/internme.htm
In addition to my grandfather, my fathers two cousins Alfonso and Alessandro De Marco were also interned there. I would be glad to hear from you, there is also an email contact address on my website if you can't post on here. Anyway, I would be very glad to hear from you.

Xavier (Agostino)

howars01
Rookie
Rookie

Postby howars01 » 21 Jan 2007, 19:37

Would you believe it! The information I was trying to send you was from your own website! Very interesting pictures and info about internees.

My great-uncle Luigi Minchella was not heard from again after World War II. He was believed to have been sent to Australia and I have found two Luigi Minchellas in the Australian archives but both from Scotland, not Kent. I have found a third 'mystery' Luigi Minchella but there is no index card on the site to give any details of where he lived. Oh, well, I'll have to keep on trying!

Anyway, my family has very fond memories of DiMarco's fabulous ice-cream!

Susan

Merano

Postby Merano » 17 May 2007, 16:52

We're doing our family history and have discovered this interesting forum. We are interested in a particular Crolla family (even though there are lots of them!), We'd like to find info regarding Maria Carmella Crolla, born in London 1877, and whose parents names were Antonio Crolla and Antonia Chuicc ?? (originating from Picinisco area).

Maria Carmella married Giovanni (John) DeMarco (or other spelling). They had two children (?) - Maria Justina (married in Manchester to a man surname Iseppe) and son called Luigi who we think lived his life in Edinburgh. It's possible Maria Carmella Crolla lived in Manchester and moved to Scotland running either ice cream or fish and chip shops.

Can anyone help! Grazie!

Carnie

Postby Carnie » 17 May 2007, 23:42

My Grandmother Angela Rosa De Marco was from Picinisco born 2/8/1886 her parents were Antonino & Nunziata nee Pesce who were married on the 17/2/1877. My Grandmother married Francesco Carnevale from Pico in 1904 in England. I have relatives in Edinburgh cousens, whose mother was Maria Crolla before she married my uncle Salvatorie Carnevale in 1934. I have a 5 generation family tree of De Marco's. On the other forum I am seeking information on my Grandfather but so far with no luck. Hope this information helps.

Mike.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”