great great great grandpa's occupation

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
italianashville

great great great grandpa's occupation

Postby italianashville » 19 Jul 2010, 02:23

If a birth record from Agnone, Campobasso from 1812 records the father's occupation as cannavaro, what was he doing for a living?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: great great great grandpa's occupation

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Jul 2010, 02:33

Are you quite certain of the spelling?

List of occupations: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ngocc.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Jul 2010, 02:39

Actually, a cannavaro appears to be a rope maker or possibly hemp farmer.

From this site, http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 003can.htm the Italain surname Cannavaro is listed as "Molto raro è tipico del napoletano, dovrebbe derivare da un soprannome dialettale relativo al mestiere del cordaio, ma è pure possibile una correlazione con l'attività del coltivatore di canapa." which Google translates to "Very rare is typical of the Neapolitan dialect should be caused by a nickname on the craft of rope maker, but is also a possible correlation with the activity of hemp grower."
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 19 Jul 2010, 09:26

Cannavaro ( from "cannava" dialect spell=canapa italian spell) is the dialectal word of "canaparo", abt the hemp/canvas work..
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”