Delayed Birth Certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CeruleanOcean

Re: Delayed Birth Certificate

Post by CeruleanOcean »

Yes, I spoke directly with the Social Security Administration (SSA), both the main office and the branch back in Florida and both told me the same thing. No SS# without a birth certificate, period.

Somewhere, someone has no idea of what is going on. If what the SSA said is indeed true, then a birth certificate for my GF exists. Marriage and Death records indicate NYC as place of birth, but they have no record. So either NYC has a birth certificate for my grandfather and just can't find it, or the SSA issued a social security number without a birth certificate. Perhaps back then they had a way of getting around that issue since NYC reports that 25% of births there, were not recorded. If there was a way around this issue, no one at the SSA seems to know.
CeruleanOcean

Post by CeruleanOcean »

Sorry the Florida reference may be confusing. While my GF was born in NYC, his SS # was issued when he lived in Florida. Which is why I contacted the local Florida branch.
TruEstCst

Post by TruEstCst »

Have you had any luck. My story is exactly the same. I'm missing my grandfathers birth record from 1911 from NYC and they won't give me a delayed record because he is deceased. I have his baptism record, marriage, death, census, his parents arrival records. I had no problem with the Italy records and thought it would be a breeze now I'm stuck. Im building a case based on some prior cases. The extra hope you have that I don't is the option to search record by record at the municipal archives. Births after 1910 you can't do that. Let me know what's transpired in the last year.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

The fact that someone has a SS number is not proof positive that they had a birth certificate. In fact a birth certificate is not even required today (it makes life a whole lot easier) see SSA website on the documents required.

I would go back and do a thorough search of the municipal archives (if you can get there in person, the staff is very helpful) and also search online at sites like Italian Genealogy.org and familysearch. The record keeping in the early part of the 1900's is not the best but many errors were caused by the individuals (mostly midwives) who filed the reports of births as many of the immigrants they assisted could not read or write or in some cases speak English. When I received my GF BC, I was amazed at his first name which was not even close to the name he was given. All it takes if for someone to make an error in the last name and you will have difficulty finding it.
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Italia1963 »

While doing a genealogy search for birth certificates of my great aunts and uncles the Municipal Archives could not find the document of my great uncle. I kept paying for them to search different years until this past week, I went to the archives and did my own search, finding him with the original date I had provided...the only difference is that his birth certificate lists his last name with the first letter P instead of F, even though ever other detail I provided to the Archives was the same and they kept coming back saying the record did not exist.
Remember, you are dealing with civil servants (I can say that as I am one myself). Like any job, you have people who do the bare minimum and those who will go that extra step. If possible, if you can hire someone to search the records for you, you may find your relatives record right where it is suppose to be.
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by momdotts »

I also have a delayed birth certificate question!

I have a copy of a SS application that was completed in 1944. On the application - it has a number next to his date of birth. It almost looks like a birth certificate #. BUT... his birth is not in the NY index for 1880 (or 1881). Is there anyway to locate a delayed birth certificate in 1944 to look to see if it may be there?

I cannot find anything on either him or his brother - NO birth records... nor a death record for the father (who may have died within a year or so of his birth)...

Things like this - drive me nuts!

Thanks!