Census 1930 error?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Census 1930 error?

Postby carmine1917 » 20 Jul 2010, 02:02

So there is a daughter listed on my grandparents census record and my 2 uncles. My father was born in 1936, knew nothing about a sister.

We all know so many errors on the census. My cousins father is listed as a girl, etc.

But the person at the archives room in NYC said that there naturization number was listed, it has to be correct. I can't find anything and am not in NY to go through the NY Public libraries to search through the birth index that I keep telling everyone to do, LOL!!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Census 1930 error?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 Jul 2010, 05:05

There is a Yes/No column in the 1930 census forms, "Whether able to speak English" - what does it say for your grandparents?

I have found that census errors are most severe in those cases where the head of household and/or spouse did not speak English. It is possible that the girl was actually a niece who was temporarilly living with your grandparents.

How old was the girl? How old were your uncles? Certainly another possibility is that she was a daughter who died tragically and was "never spoken of" thereafter, but it seems unlikely that your father would not have caught wind of this sooner or later.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 20 Jul 2010, 10:56

My uncles ages are correct. My father was a later in life baby. Born in 1936 and his mother was gone soon after. His father died in 1953. I can definitely tell you my father did not know much about his family or just never talked about it.

Actually I just checked the census and I do not see what the girl at the genealogy room at the NY Public saw, where it list my grandfathers naturalization number, LOL!!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 Jul 2010, 11:07

micheles wrote:Actually I just checked the census and I do not see what the girl at the genealogy room at the NY Public saw, where it list my grandfathers naturalization number, LOL!!

I have never seen naturalization numbers of any kind on a census. The 1920 and 1930 censuses both have columns for Year of Immigration and citizenship status (blank, PA, or NA). The 1920 census has an additional column Year of Naturalization which is filled in or left blank as appropriate.

Is it even remotely possible that she was looking at a passenger manifest? The ones after 1912'ish (?) have numeric and date notations made on them when a Certificatte of Arrival is prepared as part of the Declaration of Intent. The presence of such notations on a manifest indicates that the person at the very least began the process of naturalization, although he/she may not have followed through until completion.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 20 Jul 2010, 13:53

Thank you Johnny, I appreciate your help.

My grandfather came in 1911. I have his citizenship papers, he started them in the late teens and became a citizen in 1921. i will check out his manifest.

I guess I will have to see if Vital Records in NYC can find anything for me.

I did see similar names, different spelling of last name in the birth index book in the NY Public library. but I am in pain from a bad surgery and do not know where I even wrote the birth index numbers and am in no position to get to 42nd street.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”