I am lost - any suggestions?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

I am lost - any suggestions?

Postby dixiecricket13 » 21 Jul 2010, 20:57

Hi -

I am trying find out information (any information) on a Francesca Salvaggio who was married to a Joe/Joseph/Guiseppe Tortorice.

They supposedly met on the boat over to the US and married here. I have found where they had their children in Louisiana and subsequently moved to Birmingham, AL, but I can find no information about their arrival, their marriage, or even their existence in Bisacquino. I have been through the baptismal records half a dozen times and can find nothing on either of them.

According to Francesca's death certificate, her parents were listed as Bernard Salvaggio and Mary Romano. I can find no record of their marriage in Biscaquino.

Any ideas or any help would be greatly appreciated. You can check out my problems at Naro family tree in Ancestry, if you wish.

Thanks in advance.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: I am lost - any suggestions?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Jul 2010, 20:59

I see several Francesca Salvaggio passenger manifests on ancestry . com. Can you give me a birth year for she and for Giuseppe (note: "iu", not "ui") so that I might find the correct one?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 21 Jul 2010, 21:05

Sorry for my typos - quick fingers and no proof reading.

According to her death certificate, she was born approx. 1885 and died in Alabama in 1962. Giuseppe/Joe was born in 1886 and died in Alabama in 1976.

Incidentally, I have been told that she was brought over with her family; but again I can find no records of their entry and or their existence in the US as I have their names so I am not sure if this fact is correct.

Also according to a 1910 or 1920 census, they both arrived in the US approx. 1903.

Thanks again.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Jul 2010, 21:55

Giuseppe's WWI Draft Registration Card?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Guiseppi Tortorici
Name: Guiseppi Tortorici
City: Birmingham
County: Jefferson
State: Alabama
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 17 Dec 1886
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1509357
DraftBoard: 4

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... ftcard.jpg

Info on how to possibly get a better copy: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15686/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 21 Jul 2010, 22:01

Hi -

Yes that appears to be his draft card. I am assuming that the X on the signature line is his signature because he couldn't write? I'm just guessing about that.

Please let me know if you find anything else about their whereabouts, marriage, parents, etc...

Thank you.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Jul 2010, 22:14

I found the 1910 census on ancestry . com; I can give you a link for it if you would like.

Is that your family tree on ancestry? If not, then someone else is doing the same family.

The 1920 census says both Giuseppe and Francesca have filed thier First Papers ("Pa") for naturalization and by 1930 they report being US citizens ("Na"). You might want to try getting copies of their naturalization docs; there is almost always lots of useful information on them, including when and how (date, port, ship) they arrived in the US.

You can try the National Archives first as they are generally less expensive and much faster that the USCIS.

National Archives: General info: http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/natur ... ation.html

To order, go to https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

Click "Order Reproductions", then "Immigration and Naturalization Records". On the next page, click "Naturalization Records" If they don't find anything, they will send a letter or email to that effect.
Carmine

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 22 Jul 2010, 01:15

Hi -

Thanks for the tip. Yes, that is my tree on ancestry; I thought I had mentioned that in my first post. You can see I've made a lot of headway with most of the tree but a few branches are totally frustrating me.

Please let me know if you come across anything else or hae any other ideas.

Thanks!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 22 Jul 2010, 02:51

Giuseppe's social security application record:

Name: JOE TORTORICE
Born: 17 Dec 1886
Died: Aug 1976 Age 89
Last residence: Birmingham, Jefferson, AL
Card issued: Alabama
SS# 417-48-5011

With this information, you can order a copy of the original social security card application. On this document, you will find:

• Full name
• Full name at birth, including maiden name
• Present mailing address
• Age at last birthday
• Date of birth
• Place of birth (city, county, State)
• Father's full name
• Mother's full name, including maiden name
• Sex
• Race as indicated by the applicant
• Whether the applicant ever applied for Social Security or Railroad Retirement before
• Current employer's name and address
• Date signed
• Applicant's signature

The information is generally fairly accurate as the applicant filled in the application himself and his parent's were usually still living thus a source of accurate information.

I would suggest you consider ordering a copy of his application. Information on how to do so can be found here: http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm
Carmine

Return to “Italian Genealogy”