D'Alesandro - Bono - Alessi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vmdavis52

D'Alesandro - Bono - Alessi

Postby vmdavis52 » 25 Jul 2010, 14:43

Hello- I just found this forum and am hoping it may lead me in the right direction.
I've been researching free sites to find my Italian ancestors and was successful for one family member (maternal grandfather- Elia Fierro from Montella, Avellino) back to the 1600's, but have hit a dead end for the others. Is this the right place or are there certain forums I should be posting to for questions and hints where else to look for information? I've been looking at Castle Garden, Ellis Island, Family Search, RootWeb and a few other sites with free records. I am hesitant to pay for other sites when I may find no other helpful information, so I thought I should ask here to see what other leads I might find.
My family names are Francesco Bono (grandfather)- uncertain from where but I've always been told one side of the family was from the Calabria region, Raffaella Fierro (grandmother) who's name ended up being Elizabeth or Lizzie in the US (she was married to Elia Fierro, as above). I have traced my grandmother's family back to Montella, her mother Rosa D'Alesandro (variations of both first and last name in the records), and Valentine Alessi (my father) who I know absolutely nothing about his family except they are Sicilian. My family is from Rural Valley PA (the Bono-Fierro side) and the Fierro was changed to Fear, and my mother met Val Alessi in Rochester, NY - I think he had brothers in Rochester. Any ideas where to search next?
Thank you!

vj
Master
Master

Re: D'Alesandro - Bono - Alessi

Postby vj » 25 Jul 2010, 15:06

Welcome to the Forum :D !
Have you tried these two FamilySearch sites?
If you would like us to help you search, could you tell us which records you are still looking for? (so we don't duplicate your work)
Thank you, Valarie

FamilySearch Pilot
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... html#start

FamilySearch Beta
http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records
---
Two additional general sites for searches by state
Vital records:
http://www.deathindexes.com/
Naturalizations:
http://www.germanroots.com/naturalization.html

vmdavis52

Postby vmdavis52 » 25 Jul 2010, 16:27

Thank you for the fast response! I have looked on the Family Search (regular and Beta) sites, and several others, and the problem is, there is very limited info for the Frank (Francesco) Bono - like US 1920 census- Frank Bono/wife Lizzie, and locality when he died, but that's as far as I can go with his info. I'd like to find out when and from where he emigrated from Italy, and/or any siblings names, and then possibly I could trace his family back. I can find several Francesco Bono's on passenger lists and manifests, but I have no idea which is him, there are several who have ages near what his would be at time of arrival in the US.
Regarding my father, Val Alessi, I have no info other than I he was born 1915, but his family came from Italy/Sicily. His story will be more difficult to trace.

If I could find marriage records, baptismal records, when my grandmother and grandfather came to US, those sort of things, that would be helpful. I hesitated posting to this forum because the info I have makes it a long post. But here is the summary to help not duplicate what I've already found out:

1- My maternal grandfather: I'd like to find about more about him-
Frank Bono (Francesco): Born in Italy around 1889, lived in Rural Valley, PA from ? till aourn 1920, went to Ohio with his wife and children for a short time, then to Rochester, NY, Died in Monroe County (Rochester), NY in 1944. Married Raffaela Fierro (aka Lizzie or Elizabeth - and what is on her headstone), he may have married her while in Italy but not sure about that. Some family members this he came to the US earlier, while still quite young. I don't know where in Italy he was from, who his family was, or when h, others say he came here around 1909. His marriage certificate or baptismal certificate would be great to find.

2- My maternal grandmother:
Raffaela Fierro (aka Lizzie or Elizabeth) - born around 1894-1896 in Montella, Avellino, Italy. Died in 1928 in Monroe County, NY. Lived in Rural Valley from ? till around 1920 when she moved to Ohio and then Monroe Cty, NY with her husband and children. She had 10 children, all born in the US. She was probably married at age 14, first baby at age 15 1/2 (Guiseppe aka Joseph Bono, dob 2/13/1910). So she was here in the US by 1910 - don't know where or when she married, or when she came to the US. I can't find any records from Ellis Island who match her name(s) or age at time of arrival.

3- My maternal Great-grandmother:
Rose Fear, born as Rosalina Salvatrice D'Alessandro (but there are variations of her name - Deallesandra, Rosina, etc) b. 6/24/1871 in Montella, Avellino, married sometime around or after 1892 in Montella, Avellino, died 6/8/1967 in Rural Valley, PA; I traced 1-2 generations earlier on her (Lewis Dealessandra f. b<1845, Angela Morenro? b. <1847) and her father's parents, Ralph Dealessandra b.<1819, and mother Nina Mary Debottsi or Debottis b. < 1823) - all from Montella, Avellino, Italy. I can't find when she or her Italian born (Montella) children immigrated to US. Of her 15 births, 11 lived, two of them born in Italy - Francesco Guiseppe Fierro (b. 3/14/93) and Raffaela Maria Antonia Fierro (b. 8/28/1895? - other records have her birth as 1884 and 1886), the rest of her children born in Rural Valley, PA.

4-My maternal great-grandfather: (I've found the most info on him)
Elia Fierro (aka Allie Sr or Alex Fear), married in Italy to Rose.
b.1/22/1868 (Montella, Avellino) d. 5/26/1921 (Rural Valley, PA). Immigrated on ship Britannia July 1898 (name not on Ellis Island passenger list, but is on Castle Garden, and is on the actual manifest). I don't see that any of his children were on that manifest. I'm wondering when his wife and my grandmother (Raffaela/Elizabeth) and his other child who were born in Italy came to the US. His family names traced back are: Fierro, Di Marco, Ciociola, DeBottis, Delli, ranging back to abt 1698.

5- Valentine J Alessi - Sicilian, not sure where born but probably US, lived in Rochester, NY, had family there, including a brother Paul, b. 8 Nov 1915 died 6 Nov 1994 in Louisiana.

Thank you!
Valerie

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 25 Jul 2010, 21:31

Thank you for the very detailed response.
We'll see what we can do to help
(traffic is usually pretty slow on the forum on weekends)
Valarie

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 25 Jul 2010, 21:46

ALESSI

vmdavis52 wrote:5- Valentine J Alessi - Sicilian, not sure where born but probably US, lived in Rochester, NY, had family there, including a brother Paul, b. 8 Nov 1915 died 6 Nov 1994 in Louisiana.

If we aren't successful finding records for your father, you may want to order his SS Application to get his parent's names - including his mother's maiden name ($27)

Name: Val J. Alessi
SSN: 121-12-xxxx
Last Residence: 70427 Bogalusa, Washington, Louisiana
Born: 8 Nov 1915 Died: 6 Nov 1994
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

Social Security Application SS-5

His SS# is available here if you don’t already have it:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true

About the SS Application:
http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm
The SS-5, or Application for Social Security Number is a great resource for learning more about individuals who died after about 1960, and generally includes the following:
- Full name
- Full name at birth, including maiden name
- Present mailing address
- Age at last birthday
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Father's full name
- Mother's full name, including maiden name

- Sex
- Race as indicated by the applicant
- Whether the applicant ever applied for Social Security or Railroad Retirement before
- Current employer's name and address
- Date signed
- Applicant's signature

Order form SSA-711 (can be done online):
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm
---

possible 1930 census
http://a.imageshack.us/img85/1296/1930m.jpg

Home in 1930:
191 Clifford Ave, owns
Rochester, Monroe, New York

head Angelo Alessi 53, abt 1877 IT
- married age 24, abt 1901
- immig 1902, Na (naturalized citizen)
- salesman, retail fruit store, working on own account
wife Lucile Alessi 48, abt 1882 IT
- immig 1903
son Joseph Alessi 23, abt 1907 NY
daughter Anna Alessi 19, abt 1911 NY
son Paul Alessi 16, abt 1914 NY
son Valentine Alessi 14, abt 1916 NY
daughter Angeline Alessi 10, abt 1920 NY
daughter Lucile Alessi 6 8/12, abt 1923 NY
---

possible 1920 census
http://a.imageshack.us/img208/3060/1920m.jpg

Home in 1920:
937 Clinton Ave North, owns with mortgage
Rochester Ward 17, Monroe, New York

head Angelo Ollis 45, abt 1875 IT
- immig 1902, Na 1907
- retail merchant, fruit store
wife Lucy Ollis 37, abt 1883 IT
- immig 1903
daughter Mary A Ollis 15, abt 1905 NY
son Joseph J Ollis 13, abt 1907 NY
daughter Genevieve E Ollis 11, abt 1909 NY
daughter Anna Ollis 8, abt 1912 NY
son Paul Ollis 6, abt 1914 NY
son Valentine Ollis 4 1/12, abt 1915 NY
daughter Angelina Ollis 2, abt 1918 NY
---

1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
http://a.imageshack.us/img213/5880/1918w.jpg

(signed) Angelo Alessi 43
937 Clinton Rd, Roch, Monroe, NY
born 20 Aug 1875
naturalized citizen
Fruit Dealer, self-employed at 937 Clinton
Nearest relative Lucy Allesi at same address
---

possible 1910 census
http://a.imageshack.us/img806/2561/1910.jpg

Home in 1910:
765 Clinton Ave North, rents house
Rochester Ward 17, Monroe, New York

head Angelo Olles 33, abt 1877 IT
- married once, 10 yrs, abt 1900
- immig 1902, Na
- store keeper, fruit store
wife Louis Olles 27, abt 1883 IT
- 3 children
- immig 1903
daughter Mary Olles 6, abt 1904 NY
son Joseph Olles 3, abt 1907 NY
daughter Jennie Olles 1 5/12, abt 1908 NY

vmdavis52

Postby vmdavis52 » 25 Jul 2010, 22:34

That's amazing how you found that so quickly- yes, that census sheet is correct, and there's so much information on that! I have a starting point now!
I'll order the SS info once I figure out if there are others who I need to order that same info for.
Would my grandfather's census information be obtainable? He was called Frank Bono shortly after he immigrated to the US, from what I'm told and by 1930 I think he lived on Hawkins Street in Rochester, NY (Monroe County). At very least I know he lived in Monroe county from about 1920 on. If you can find that census sheet, it might have the year he immigrated here, as the sheet you supplied for Valentine Alessi does. Frank lived in Rochester from sometime in the 1920's through his death in 1944, with a brief move to California sometime after 1933, but returned to the same city of Rochester again shortly after. His wife (my grandmother), Elizabeth aka Lizzie lived in Rochester NY, Monroe County from sometime in the early 1920's until her death in 1928, only months after her youngest was born. The 10 children were split up after her death as so many of them were young and couldn't stay with him do there may look like inconsistencies in the household due to deaths, relocations, returns of the some of the children from foster care, etc.

I'm so happy that you found that census sheet!! I really appreciate your help in putting the pieces together for me.
Valerie

vmdavis52

Postby vmdavis52 » 25 Jul 2010, 22:55

I just realized I didn't see all you posted below the first 1930's census info. Very interesting. I'm as confused as much as some of this might make sense. I wonder what their actual last names were, Ollis of Alessi? My mom told me a few times as I was growing up (who knows if this is even remotely true) that the Alessi side of the family had a couple "criminal" types in it, and they were in so much trouble, they changed their last name to Ollis...but she was talking about the brothers of Valentine, when they were in their 30's or so, not the parents. She said the father owned a bar, and there was shooting that went on that she witnessed. She divorced him shortly after I was born, and never had much to say about him, which is why I don't know much about him.

I wonder if I should be searching the old records for Ollis rather than Alessi...and I wonder if I'm not actually and Alessi...after all these years of thinking I was! It's sort of shocking to see all these details. But how interesting!!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 25 Jul 2010, 23:00

vmdavis52 wrote:... yes, that census sheet is correct, and there's so much information on that! I have a starting point now!
I'll order the SS info once I figure out if there are others who I need to order that same info for...

Valerie,

I'm glad we found the correct Alessi family
I'm guessing the census is incorrect - not at all unusual for the enumerator to sound out a name

This may help check the spelling and find news of your family :wink:
Here is a really neat free website that should have newspaper articles on your family in Rochester (the search gets some getting used to, can be slow to load)
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Valarie

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 25 Jul 2010, 23:04

BONO/FIERRO

vmdavis52 wrote:...1- My maternal grandfather: I'd like to find about more about him-
Frank Bono (Francesco): Born in Italy around 1889, lived in Rural Valley, PA from ? till aourn 1920, went to Ohio with his wife and children for a short time, then to Rochester, NY, Died in Monroe County (Rochester), NY in 1944...

---

a note on census records: information will only be as accurate as the knowledge or memory of the person answering the enumerator's questions - this could have been anyone in the household (or even a neighbor)

possible 1930 census
http://a.imageshack.us/img121/1852/193001.jpg

Home in 1930:
22 Albow Place, rents $24
Rochester, Monroe, New York

head Frank Bono 43, abt 1887 IT
- widowed
- immig 1901, Na
- laborer, building construction
daughter Angelena Bono 18, abt 1912 PA
- dry goods clerk, dept store
daughter Rose Bono 16, abt 1914 PA
daughter Teressa Bono 14, abt 1916 PA
son Frank Bono 12, abt 1918 PA
daughter Stella Bono 10, abt 1920 PA
---

for reference, the 1920 census that you've already found
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/963/1920.jpg
---

1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
http://a.imageshack.us/img409/9420/1917.jpg

Francesco Bono 29
Rural Valley, Armstrong, PA
born Dec 1887
in Ferruzzano(?), Reggio Calabria, Calabria
naturalized citizen
coal miner for Cowanshannock Coal and Coke Company in Yatesboro
---

living with in-laws

possible 1910 census
http://a.imageshack.us/img245/5545/1910x.jpg

Home in 1910:
106 Main Street, owns house with a mortgage
Rural Valley, Armstrong, Pennsylvania

head Allie Fear Sr. 42, abt 1868 IT
- married 19 yrs, abt 1891
- immig 1898, Pa (filed 1st papers for naturalization)
- laborer, coal mine
wife Rosie Fear 42, abt 1868 IT
- 7 children
- immig 1902
son Frank Fear 17, abt 1893 IT
- immig 1902
- laborer, coal mine
son Allie Fear Jr. 12, abt 1898 IT
- immig 1902
daughter Auglina Fear 6, abt 1904 PA
son Louie Fear 4, abt 1906 PA
son Joe Fear 3, abt 1907 PA
son Sam Fear 1 6/12, abt 1908 PA

son-in-law Frank Bono 23, abt 1887 IT
- married 1 yr, abt 1909
- immig 1902, Pa
- laborer, coal mine
daughter Lizzie Bono 15, abt 1895 IT
- 1 child
- immig 1902
grandson Joseph Bono 2/12

boarders
Frank Mascarelle 18
Jim Mirens 25
Carlo Devino 25
Tam Cocci 31

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 26 Jul 2010, 00:45

FIERRO/D`ALESSANDRO

vmdavis52 wrote:2- My maternal grandmother:
Raffaela Fierro (aka Lizzie or Elizabeth) - born around 1894-1896 in Montella, Avellino, Italy....I can't find any records from Ellis Island who match her name(s) or age at time of arrival.

3- My maternal Great-grandmother:
Rose Fear, born as Rosalina Salvatrice D'Alessandro (but there are variations of her name - Deallesandra, Rosina, etc) b. 6/24/1871 in Montella, Avellino... I can't find when she or her Italian born (Montella) children immigrated to US...

damaged 1902 manifest for Rosa D`Alessandro and three (Fierro) children

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0020

edit: added
the manifest isn't much clearer on ancestry
http://a.imageshack.us/img529/5701/190201.jpg

03 Dec 1902, SS Victoria, Naples to NY
lines 20-23

vmdavis52

Postby vmdavis52 » 26 Jul 2010, 00:48

Valarie-

I'm speechless - this is all such great information. I only posted today and already you've provided me with so much more than I have found after weeks/months of looking!

I can't thank you enough! Where are you finding all this so quickly? I'm so grateful.

Thank you,
Valerie

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 26 Jul 2010, 00:52

Valerie
You're very welcome!
We all enjoy helping folks with their research :D
Your census and WWI registration cards are from ancestry. com
Ancestry used to offer a free trial period (be sure to cancel on time!)
I'm not sure if it's 7 or 14 days
Ancestry also has a library version available on-site at many libraries.
Valarie

vmdavis52

Postby vmdavis52 » 26 Jul 2010, 01:11

Well, I very much appreciate it! I was going to try Ancestry.com, but worried I'd pay and find nothing much more than what I had. So many subscription based sites in other areas do that...draw someone in to pay, then don't end up being very useful. Guess I was wrong about Ancestry. I'll join when I have some time to really make use of it. The information you provided is enormously helpful to help springboard me to other information.
Does Ancestry have Italian records, too, like church documents, marriage information, and those sort of things to help me trace Rosa and Francesco back in their home land, as well as the Alessi side? That would make it even more attractive to join.

I'm sharing all this with my Mom, who's 95 yrs old (she's the one listed as Teressa on the census, really Theresa, b. 1915). Although she could tell me parts of the story, there were many holes she couldn't fill in, much of what I'm finding and what you've shared with me. You are helping make an old woman happy to finally learn more about her parents, grandparents. So many kids were raised to be "less Italian" due to prejudices back then and other pressures, and lost a lot of their heritage. She's always been proud to be an Italian and is thrilled to learn about all this new information.
:-)

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 26 Jul 2010, 01:25

Valerie, ancestry world edition has these Italian records:

Alessandria and Asti, Piedmont, Italy: Civil registration records, 1866-1938 (in Italian)
Como and Lecco, Lombardy, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1936 (in Italian)
Falerna, Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy, Civil Registration, 1810-1936 (in Italian)
Lodi, Lombardy, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1936 (in Italian)
Palermo, Sicily, Italy, Birth Records Index, 1876-1885 (in Italian) - Free Index
Pavia, Lombardy, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1866-1937 (in Italian)
Potenza, Basilicata, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1861-1938 (in Italian) - New/Updated
Siena, Tuscany, Italy: Civil Registration Records, 1866-1937 (in Italian)
Varese, Lombardy, Italy: Civil Registration, 1866-1937 (in Italian)
Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Piedmont, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1870-1937 (in Italian)

Most folks find that renting microfilm for their towns of origin at $5.50 a roll/mo is a great way to conduct their research
We can check to see if your towns have been microfilmed if you're interested

It's great that your mother is enjoying this :D .
If she has any questions, like where was xx in 1930 - let us know and we can look.

Valarie

vmdavis52

Postby vmdavis52 » 26 Jul 2010, 01:33

Valarie

More good information.
If I pin down the towns, how do I go about renting the microfilm? I saw mention of that on the LDS Family Search site, but it looked like I needed to either be in a town where they have centers (which I'm no where near) or rent them for quite a bit of money (I seem to recall it being over $40 or $50). Is there another way?
Valerie

Return to “Italian Genealogy”