Did he or didn't he immigrate????????

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Did he or didn't he immigrate????????

Postby lilbees » 27 Jul 2010, 14:39

I have a dilemma. I have been unable to locate a death record for my great uncle Alfonso Rescigno. He was married to Liberata Brancaccio in 1877. They had two children, one born 1878 and the other born 1880. They both died as infants, the last one in 1881.

Liberata remarried in Sep 1882 saying her husband Alfonso was dead. In the marriage record there is no notation of a death record for him being submitted prior to her second marriage.

My belief is that he immigrated to the U.S. in 1890 (I have the ships record) but was soon institionalized in Connecticutt showing up on the 1900 census and the 1910 census. The birthdate of the individual is in the 1850's (he was born 1852).

I have written for a death record for him from Connecticutt and from Castellammare di Stabia to see which one is he.

My question is, if a husband abandoned the wife and immigrated could they still marry without of proof of death or something? My sense is that he left Italy and immigrated but waiting for some kind of proof. Since the institution in Connecticutt may not have any information on him other than his presence there I just don't know???

Would love to hear some opinions please. This is something really new for me in my searches.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Did he or didn't he immigrate????????

Postby PeterTimber » 27 Jul 2010, 14:48

Many Italian immigrants immigrated and abandoned their family in Italy and started a new one without having to present any specific document. Some married and some just set up a home. Getting married in tthe USA,particularly in earlier time was easy since the Italian government began requiring young SINGLE draft age men to obtain INTERNAL passports tol move within Italy, however, the USA andmany other countries did not require passsports so many Italians left Italy without an official passport. =Peter=
~Peter~

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 27 Jul 2010, 14:54

Thanks Peter. I was more concerned about his wife. How would she go about marrying again in Italy without a death record for her husband?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 27 Jul 2010, 15:00

Does her passport say she is widowed or single? If single she is home free since she is truly single. If a death certificate is needded maybe you can find out where he is buried. Try www.worldvitalrecords.com. and just put in his name since I think you canget a freebie this month. =Peter=
~Peter~

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 27 Jul 2010, 15:07

The wife never left Italy. She was marrying another individual in Naples.

lilbees

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 27 Jul 2010, 15:25

his name ....his name so we can look it up under website or find a grave. =Peter=
~Peter~

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 27 Jul 2010, 15:34

Name given in my original post, Alphonso Rescigno b. 1852 Roccapiemonte, married in Castellammare di Stabia 1877, last child dies 1881, wife Liberata remarries with Andrea Anastasio Sep 1882, Castellammare di Stabia.

I cannot find where Connecticutt lists death records in that state for Alfonso.

lilbees

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 27 Jul 2010, 20:53

I put this back up because my question was never answered regarding a 2nd marriage.

As I said earlier, if a man immigrated to the U.S. leaving a wife behind in Italy, could she assume he is dead and remarry? If so, what proof would she need at the time of her 2nd marriage.

lilbees

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 28 Jul 2010, 03:57

This is a legal question. why not call or e-mail the nearest Italian consulate and ask them how do you get the answer. Also try google.com and see what comes up. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”