carlile, carli, carlyle??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jode

carlile, carli, carlyle??

Postby jode » 09 May 2004, 19:24

I've just started researching my great grandmother Lillian Bradley who's maiden name was Carlile, carli, (or something along those lines.) I found a birth certificate for her daughter that posted the birthplace of mother was Italy. According to her funeral registry I know she lived in New Orleans on Randolph street. Her father's name was Michael ? and mother's Mary.

The story goes from my mother that she was once married to a Cavanaugh (?) some shipping guy, who had an affair and she divorced him and married my great grandfather later. Apparently she was excummunicated from the catholic church for the divorce. All of this was around the 1860's- 1880's.

I've written to the orleans parish for any records with no results. I have pictures of her and I'm curious about her.

I'd like to know where I should start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D Jode

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: carlile, carli, carlyle??

Postby Essgee » 09 May 2004, 20:48

jode wrote:I've just started researching my great grandmother Lillian Bradley who's maiden name was Carlile, carli, (or something along those lines.) I found a birth certificate for her daughter that posted the birthplace of mother was Italy. According to her funeral registry I know she lived in New Orleans on Randolph street. Her father's name was Michael ? and mother's Mary.

The story goes from my mother that she was once married to a Cavanaugh (?) some shipping guy, who had an affair and she divorced him and married my great grandfather later. Apparently she was excummunicated from the catholic church for the divorce. All of this was around the 1860's- 1880's.

I've written to the orleans parish for any records with no results. I have pictures of her and I'm curious about her.

I'd like to know where I should start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D Jode

You must first start with what you know as fact, and them move back from there.

1. What year did your great grandmother die? How old was she? What city did she live in? What was her name at the time?

2. What was the name of your grandmother? When was she born? Where was she born?

3. What is the full name of your grandfather? Do you have the first and last name of your great grandfather? About when was he born?

The little clues you have will help establish some of the family history...but the documented facts are what you seek. Let us know the above info and we will see if we can find them in the census. So far, only found one Michael Graviel who was born in Italy and lived in N.O. Nothing on any Carlisle or variation so far.

Let us know.

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 09 May 2004, 21:01

Get her entry data thru two sources. 1. Go to NARA and file form 81 since you can calulate her birthyear from the birth certificate. Go to www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm and send the form to NARA, 501 West felix Street, Bldg. 1, Fort Worth Texas, 76115-3405 since they cover Lousiana. You can also go to the Family Histopry Library of the Mormon church for NARA micorfilm T-618-4 which is FHL 1412577# as well. This should start you off wioth her vitals upon entgry presupposing she enetered Louisana from Italy. Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 09 May 2004, 21:03

Michael in Italian is MICHELE and Mary is MARIA should she have entered with ther parents atr NO. Please bear in mind to follow the fatrhers' surname since ZItal;ian Woman never lose their maiden name and she would be listed under another surname. Peter

elizurla

Postby elizurla » 07 Aug 2010, 11:55

Hi I'm Elisa, i from Italy and i seach my parents in Clinton Indiana. The surname is Carli.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 07 Aug 2010, 12:26

Hi Elisa
Hello and welcome to this forum.

Please post your inquiry again by clicking on the button for "new topic" on the lower left. Although it is possible that you will find a connection between your ancestors with the Carli surname and person who started this thread about their ancestors with that name, it is best to keep your information separate from theirs, especially since your ancestors lived in a different part of the country. If you want help with your ancestry, please give us specific names, dates you have, and some information you know about them. Do you have any records for them? passenger lists, if they were born in Italy, census records, etc. Then those of us on the forum will do our best to help you research your ancestry.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”