I guess every family has one

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

I guess every family has one

Postby KMaryP » 09 Aug 2010, 02:00

I searched for a brother-in-law my ggrandfather referenced on a ship manifest. His name is Serafino Bombiani in Marstellar, PA.

All I found was a 1910 census indexing a Serafino "Ronbioni" (bad transcription - it's definitely Bombiani) born ~1890. Unfortunately, he's an inmate in the Western Pennsylvania Penitentiary. :oops: It's the only Serafino Bombiani I can find on Ancestry.

I looked in the area I thought he resided in (Cambria County, PA) and found a 1930 census for a Michael Bonbonio. The age is right but the name is so different I don't know if it's him.

Can someone please help me find a manifest for him to gather more clues? The Bonbonio census said he immigrated in 1901. My ggrandfather's manifest in which he references him is dated 1909. I suspect he's my ggrandmother's brother and she's from Patrica.

Any help is appreciated.

misbris
Master
Master

Re: I guess every family has one

Postby misbris » 09 Aug 2010, 02:48

What was the town of origin?

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 09 Aug 2010, 02:53

Here is a manifest, but it says he was here previously.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003

KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KMaryP » 09 Aug 2010, 03:02

I think he's from Patrica since that's where his sister was born. The only Bompianis I've been able to find (other than my ggmother) are from Supino.

I think I just found his WW1 draft registration, but all I can read is birth: 4? Aug 1888 and he's from Patrica. I can't read much of the manifest in the post above either. Can anyone make out the name of his relative or where he's been/going to?

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 09 Aug 2010, 06:01

In the ellis island manifest posted above, the location could be Swampscott Mass? There was another individual several lines down (#5) that listed the same location, but a line was drawn through and it is marked Boston. I am not good at lining up who belongs to who in the last column. Anyone else?

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Aug 2010, 11:06

misbris wrote:Here is a manifest, but it says he was here previously.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003

Hi misbris,
I believe that is the correct second trip of Serafino; by the 1910 census he declaring that arrived in USA in 1901, so the second trip matching:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Serafino Ronebiani
Name: Serafino Ronebiani
[Serafino Bombiani]
Age in 1910: 20
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Ot
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Pittsburgh Ward 27, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1901

inmate...

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Serafino Bonpiani
Name: Serafino Bonpiani
County: Indiana
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 7 Aug 1888
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1893239
DraftBoard: 1

Nearest Relative:

Height/Build:

Color of Eyes/Hair:

Signature: View

born in Patrica
miner profession
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Aug 2010, 11:54

KMaryP wrote:All I found was a 1910 census indexing a Serafino "Ronbioni" (bad transcription - it's definitely Bombiani) born ~1890. Unfortunately, he's an inmate in the Western Pennsylvania Penitentiary. :oops: It's the only Serafino Bombiani I can find on Ancestry.

My grandfather spent time in Maine State Prison; five years of a life sentence for murder before he was given a full pardon - so I have developed some skills in this type of research. :)

From this Google book result http://books.google.com/books?id=b5clAQ ... ni&f=false

"Serafino Bombiani, Cambria county, murder, second degree. Sentenced September 16, 1909, to undergo imprisonment in the Western Penitentiary for from five years to twenty years. Paroled September 16, 1914"

Also, from http://news.rootsweb.com/th/read/PACAMB ... 1266030180

"Serafino Bombiani pleaded guilty in court Thursday of the murder at Mosscreek Feb. 21 last of Joseph Berti. The court fixed the crime at the second degree and sentenced him (Bombiani) to pay the costs, a fine of $1 and to serve ten years in the Western Penitentiary. This sentence can be reduced to six years and five months by good behavior on the part of the murderer."

I like the $1 fine part. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Aug 2010, 12:07

KMaryP wrote:I think I just found his WW1 draft registration, but all I can read is birth: 4? Aug 1888 and he's from Patrica.

This tip may be useful: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15686/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Aug 2010, 12:49

Great find Carmine!
Gratulations!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Aug 2010, 13:20

suanj wrote:Great find Carmine!
Gratulations!
suanj

Thanks, Raffaella; it's is always nice to be recognized by an expert in the field. :)

To KMaryP, keep in mind that in many cases like this, a condition of parole was that the convicted person leave the US (under his own power or through deportation). If you cannot find him beyond 1914, that may be the reason.

When my grandfather applied for a pardon, his attorney offered that he (my grandfather) would leave the country if so ordered. Ultimately, he was granted a "full and free pardon" upon convincing the governor's pardon commitee that he was not a party to the murder and that he did not have adequate representation at trial.
Carmine

KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KMaryP » 09 Aug 2010, 13:49

Thank you for all of the great info, Carmine! I guess before I get too caught up about having a murderer in the family, I need to find out if this truly is my relative.

I've found two Serafino Bombianis; one born 1888 and the other 1890. More research is in order. Would love to find Serafino's manifest from 1901...

Thank you all for your help. I'm so grateful that I found this website!

KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KMaryP » 09 Aug 2010, 21:02

Well, after futher research, it does appear that I have a murderer in the family. :oops:

My GGfather's 1909 ship manifest states he's going to see his brother-in-law Serafino Bompiani in Marsteller, PA. It turns out that Marsteller and Moss Creek, where the murder occurred, are one in the same town. :cry:

I assume since this murderer has the same last name as my ggmother, that he's her brother. I suppose there's also the possibility that my ggf had a sister who married a Bompiani.

What's the best way to determine if my ggparents' had any siblings, and if so, what their names and dates of birth are? I wrote to their city of origin requesting birth certificates. Would older siblings be shown there?

Thanks again for all of the help!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Aug 2010, 04:13

Hi, maybe helpful for your search:
Luigi Bombiani from Patrica made some trip in USA; in the trip of 1920 he declared that joining at son Serafino in 825 10th st Ambridge, PA
nearest relative in Patrica: brother Vincenzo , Via Savonarola 10, Patrica
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Luigi Bombiani
Name: Luigi Bombiani
Arrival Date: 17 Dec 1920
Birth Year: abt 1863
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: patrica
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Giuseppe Verdi

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Postby KMaryP » 10 Aug 2010, 13:49

Great lead, suanj! I'll look into it.

tednjodi

Postby tednjodi » 27 Nov 2014, 04:57

I believe you are talking about my great grandfather Serafino Bombiani! From what I was told, he murdered someone in self defense and went to West Penn. My great grandmother's name was Frances.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”