Scalise - Puccio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PScalise

Scalise - Puccio

Post by PScalise »

I am trying to search back for a link in Nicasto (or that area) for Filippo Scalise born about 1866 and married Teadora Puccio (Pucci) around 1891 or 1892 in Italy (in Catanzaro region). Teadora was born in Feroleto Antico in 1862. Her parents were Agostino Puccio and Mariangela Cosentino. Filippo and Teadora Scalise came to America (Utica, New York) about 1892, and their two children Louis (Emilio Luigi) and Nellie (Concettina) were born here. Filippo Scalise died suddenly in New York somewhere near Coxsackie on the family's travel to go back to Italy around 1900. Any help with this would be great. Thank you ahead of time!
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: Scalise - Puccio

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Did Filippo travel with his sister Maria and Mother Rosa in 1893?
If so, i have found a record of a Filippo born around 1859 in Serrastretta, Cantanzaro, which is 18km from Nicastro.

Click link then enlarge manifest

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0000160091

Line 571/572/573
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
PScalise

Post by PScalise »

Thank you - Jamie Capaldi (yes?) I had looked through the Ellis Island website, and I have found my grandmother. Plus, I did find this entry for Filippo; however, from family stories, I don't think this is the correct one. Filippo was raised by his aunt who was a teacher in Italy because his parents had died. Her last name was Villela-Scalise, and no family stories tell of Filippo having any siblings. Again, from old family stories, Filippo and his wife came over together on their honeymoon - mostly being ordered to do so by his wife's family who didn't want Filippo to be enlisted or conscripted into an army. As the story goes, the wife got pregnant on the boat, and my grandfather was born in Utica, New York on March 1, 1893 - which is earlier than the May 12, 1893 arrival date on this ship's manifest. But thank you for your help and connection. I am thinking the next venue might be to find the addresses for records in Nicastro and Feroleto Antico - and then get help with reading & writing in Italian! Thank you.
RizRich

Post by RizRich »

Jamie:

In reading your post, maybe you hooked in to my family.

There are Scalesi's in my family, from Serrastretta. Angelina Scalesi, born around 1870, died Nov. 1944. She married Peter Molinaro. Angelena had a sister Filomena & a brother Natale.

Angelina & Peter had Filomena (my grandmother) born 1900, Natale born 1894, Antonio, & Mary.

Also, somewhere along the line, although I do not know where, there is a link to Aiello.

I have hit a dead end here. I don't know what happened to Peter. I have information on their children.
PScalise

Post by PScalise »

Hi - This is Paul Scalise here. I believe it was Jamie Capaldi who replied to my very first post. I'm also hitting dead ends - (-_-) - and the names you gave - Angelina Scalesi, Peter Molinaro, and Filomena Molinaro - don't link up to any names that I've heard from family stories. If you can link to an Aiello, then I have more name information that might help there - and that's what intrigues me. The Scalise side married into the Aiello side, and my grandmother (born in 1903 in Feroleto Antico, Catanzaro, Italy) came to the US through Ellis Island. She knew a lot of family names, and I knew her parents (my great grandparents) on the Aiello side. So, tell me more of the what you know about the Aiello link in your family, and I'll see what I can do to help you! (^_^) By the way, the word "Aiello" comes from an Old Latin base-word which means "field." And Scalise comes from the base-word "scala" meaning steps or ladder.
RizRich

Post by RizRich »

Hi Paul:

Here is the info I have on the Aiellos. Angelina Scalesi had a sister named Filomena. Filomena Scalesi married Natale Aeillo. Natale & Filomena had 4 children:
Joseph - dob March 3, 1904 - Married Carol Santo 6-26-1926. Died 12-18-83
Peter - dob 1-15-1906 - married & Divorced Thelma - Died 3-5-1983
Michelina - dob 8-17-1913 - married Albert Bruno - Died 5-3-1989
Theresa - dob 4-25-1915 in Phila. - Married Maron george (I think he was a professional Boxer, but I don't remember the name) - No information on death.

In 1913 Filomena Molinaro, along with her mother Angela Scalese, emigrated to Phila. and stayed with Natale Scalese, at 1137 Federal St., Phila., PA. Also, in 1913.

I know some of these people lived in the Phila. area.

Angelina's mother was named Theresa, that's all I have on her.

Since we have these last names in common, we could be on different branches of the tree. I have been using Roots Magic to keep track of all this information. There is so much information that sometimes I don't remember who is who.

I also have information on the children of the Aiello's listed above. I can give you the info you want it.
PScalise

Post by PScalise »

Hi, again - Is your nickname "Riz" (^_^). The names are not matching direct links to me ... yet! And in your message you mixed Natale Aiello saying Natale Scalise, but I easily found Natalie Aiello with his wife Filomena in the 1920 & 1910 Censuses for Philadelphia. Info on Natalie -- born abt 1873-75 in Italy, with immigration in 1900 (says the 1920 census) or 1890 (according to the 1910 census). In checking naturalization records, Natale's petition was in 1896, so the 1890 immigration is more accurate. He was listed as a proprietor for a grocery store in 1910. Married to Filomena (born abt 1879-80 in Italy, who was listed as the immigration year in 1904 (1920 census) but 1894 in the 1910 census. Their children were all born in Pennsylvania - Joseph (born abt 1906), Peter (born abt 1908), Michealine (born abt 1909, but must have died before the 1920 census), Margaret (born abt 1914), & Theresa (born abt 1916). Angela/Angelina was not listed under Natale's household in either 1910 or 1920 Philadelphia. However, I found them all on the Philadelphia passenger listing for July 3, 1913. Natale, Filomena (maiden name Scalise), with their two oldest sons Joseph (Guiseppe) and Peter (Petro) were all listed as US citizens. Angela Scalise was listed on the passenger list right above Natale. Angela was listed with her two younger daughters, Francesca and a different Filomena. So, it's sounding like Angela & Filomena were sisters, and Angela named one of her daughters after her sister. Okay, no links to me directly yet, but for this side of the family I'm just getting started. I actually found your links so quickly, and mine are "mired in mystery"!!
RizRich

Post by RizRich »

Hi Paul:

Yes, my nickname was Riz, in high school.

I found alot of Natale's in my family tree. Everybody named their kids after somebody else and they all have the same names. I have a copy of the ship manifest for the Taomorina arriving in Phila. on 7-13-1913. I thought I had the right record, but now I am not sure.

BTW, In my records there is a Natale Scalesi, Natale Aiello, & Natale Molinaro.

Angelina Scalesi had a brother named Natale Scalesi & a son named Natale Molinaro. Are you sure I mixed up my Natales?

Also, I have Micheline's death in 1989. And I don't have a Margaret.

Karen
PScalise

Post by PScalise »

Hi, Karen - but I like Riz, too! I think you are fine. I just used the info you gave me, and basically I was able to confirm what you said by checking on-line records (census, naturalization, & passenger lists) - all pretty much confirming your info with differences in dates but not substance. For example - yes the ship for July 13, 1913, was Taormina (that's the spelling on the ship's manifest). You have a copy of the same ship manifest that I viewed online. So check & note that across the line for Angela Scalise with her two daughers, under the column that says "The name and complete address of nearest relative or friend in country..." -- it lists "no one." And on the same manifest, you'll see below Angela Scalise, Natale & Filomena Aiello with their two oldest boys - they are listed as US Citizens. So certainly, Angela Scalise with her two girls (Francesca, and the younger one named Filomena) could have lived with Natale Scalise in Phili, but I just couldn't find that Natale Scalise confirm on my census and other online searches. As for the Michealine & Margaret issue - if you are able to check the census records on line you'll see the name difference. It could be a transcription error. When you say "records" I know you have copies of actual documents (like the Taormina manifest). So if your records are 1st line (manifests, birth/death/marriage ceritificates) then go with those rather than the census. If not, check the online census & other document records. I'll keep checking back in on this Scalise-Aiello link because my father's parents are Scalise-Aiello. We're linked just not sure exactly how, and when I have more time to research I'll be sure to get back to you!!

Always,
Paul
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Just as a point of interest, I have scanned hundreds of pages of civil marriages from 1810 to 1860 for Serrastretta, and Cathy N. has them all uploaded on her website here:

Serrastretta Civil Records

When you get that far back I am sure they will be of use to you.

I am stuck on my Scalise great-grandmother (the name Scalisi does not exist in Serrastretta) so can't yet connect to these records yet.
PScalise

Post by PScalise »

Thank you, James! What a great connection when I can get that far back. I might get to 1866 when I can find/confirm my great-grandfather's death & burial. Thank you for your help. Who was your great-grandmother Scalise? Maybe I can help you in all my "meanderings" and searches. ~Paul
walshtomj

Post by walshtomj »

Hi Paul,

My family (Fazio) came to the Utica area to be with the Scalise family who they were great friends with in Serrastretta. I also have Scalises further back in my family history. Even to this day the two most popular names in Serrastretta are Fazio and Scalise. Also a cousin of mine has several half brother and sisters who are Scalises from Utica. His father Frank Marasco married Isabella Janone Scalise after her first husband Joseph Scalise died in 1923 after saving a drowning man from the canal in the dead of winter. Isabella and Joseph had six children (John, Fannie, Anne, Joseph, Vito and Theodora).
PScalise

Post by PScalise »

Hi, and thank you for the posting! (You're Tom? Yes?)

You gave me some great name links. I can't say that I know of any that you gave, though! My father - Valentine Scalise - was born in Utica in 1927, and his father - Louis (Luigi) Scalise - was born there in 1893, and got married in 1923 to Genevieve (Giovanina) Aiello. Do any of those names make more direct links for you?

Again, thank you for posting - and I'll definitely check any Fazio connections through my relatives.

Always,
Paul
walshtomj

Post by walshtomj »

Hi Paul,

I have many Aiellos in my family from Serrastretta too. I think many people from the Cantazaro area settled in central NY. The Scalise name is not all that common so my guess is that our two lines either meet in Utica or further back in Calabria. Do you have your line traced back any further? I have access to the Serrastretta records and can look up anyone born before 1860 there to see if your line came from the town. BTW, the town of Serrastretta was founded by five families: Scalise, Fazio, Aiello, Bruni and Gallo. So most anyone from that town has most or all five of these names in their family history.

-Tom
PScalise

Post by PScalise »

Thank you, Tom, for the offer about Serrastretta, but as you've probably guessed I can only go back to 1862 (Teadora Puccio-Scalise) and circa 1866 (Filippo Scalise). I may work 7 days a week, but I'm nevertheless quite relentless. Right now I'm trying to find the NY church records for Filippo's death and burial (all unknown and a family mystery for 110 years - but possibly one of the St. Patrick churches either in Athens or Catskills, NY). I'm thinking that will give me back another generation.

You really are amazingly helpful with such interesting bits such as the founding of Serrastretta!

Thank you for your insights and offers for help, and I'll keep in touch as I can and as I find out that next generation back.

Always,
Paul