Previously Italian but now Croatian region - Where to start?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
amatetic

Previously Italian but now Croatian region - Where to start?

Post by amatetic »

I am trying to find information on a WWII Italian soldier who would have been Italian prior to WWII. But after WWII, this region became part of Yugoslavia and now Croatia.

From family oral tradition, this soldier was in Greece and after the capitulation, was left on the Island by Germans to just fend for themselves.

I have read the history of the Kephalonia and Corfu massacres. I do not know if he was a survivor on these events or was on another island. My guess was he was one of the later islands where soldiers, instead of being killed, were given a choice that included forced labor camp.

The only information that seems definite was he was on an Island and it was in Greece.

How would I go about finding his military records? I have a few town names in Croatia such as Opatija and Rijeka. And Trieste Italy is another possibility.

Is there one database for all Italian soldiers in WWII?

I would be grateful for any help - thanks!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Previously Italian but now Croatian region - Where to st

Post by wldspirit »

You may have already seen this site, it is for those who lost their life in wars 1 & 2:

http://www.difesa.it/Ministro/Commissar ... olture.htm

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
amatetic

Re: Previously Italian but now Croatian region - Where to st

Post by amatetic »

thank you for the information. I've bookmarked it for reference. However, this person did survive the war. I would just like to find out more about his service. The family must have been a lucky one - two grandfathers served in the Italian army. And both survived.