Joseph (Giuseppe?) MARELLO b 1811 Genoa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kasey132

Joseph (Giuseppe?) MARELLO b 1811 Genoa

Postby kasey132 » 12 Aug 2010, 15:55

Looking for help in how to start the search for a birth record of ancestor Joseph Marello who married in Inverness, Scotland in 1845. He is shown on census returns as from Genoa and is a basket manufacturer. Can anyone point the way to tracking down a birth record?
Thanks

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Joseph (Giuseppe?) MARELLO b 1811 Genoa

Postby Seraphina » 13 Aug 2010, 11:08

Hi,

Was Giuseppe born in the city of Genoa or a town/village/district near Genoa?
It does make a difference when trying to find birth records.
The good thing is that you know the year of his birth, but do you know the actual date?

Marello is not a common name in the Genoa region - in fact there are only a handful of people in the current pagine bianche (telephone book) in the areas around Genoa.

Seraphina

kasey132

Postby kasey132 » 13 Aug 2010, 13:35

Hello Seraphina

Thanks for your response, I have nothing to go on except Scottish census returns where he has given his place of birth as Genoa, Italy. He married before registration was introduced in Scotland so there is no marriage certificate. I don't have a date of birth only the year 1811. Looks as if it could be a difficult one. If they followed naming traditions with their children, his parents were Giuseppe and Maria.

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 13 Aug 2010, 17:02

He married Margaret Strachan on the 10th July 1845.
You can get his certificate on Scotlands People for a small fee, Instantly!

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

kasey132

Postby kasey132 » 13 Aug 2010, 20:09

Yes, I have that already but unfortunately it is not a proper marriage certificate only a church register entry which doesn't contain any place of origin information. Thanks anyway.

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Seraphina » 14 Aug 2010, 14:07

Hi Kasey,

have you looked on the Mormon's film for the name & birth year for Genoa? If not, I think that would have to be your next move. Look on their website to see if they have that year on film for Genoa, and you can order it from your nearest Mormon family history centre.

Good luck.

Seraphina

kasey132

Postby kasey132 » 14 Aug 2010, 19:24

Sadly they don't hold any records on film for Genoa for the time period. Do you know if church baptism records are held centrally or in individual churches? Thanks

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Seraphina » 15 Aug 2010, 07:29

Hi Kasey

I can only suggest you write to the Registrar in Genoa for a copy of Giuseppe's birth certificate. They might search, even though there is no date. The thing in your favour is that the surname is not common.

You have to make your request in Italian. Don't send any money (I have always received certs free of charge), but include your email address - just in case.

The address is:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Genova,
Palazzo Tursi,
Via Garibaldi 9,
16124 GENOVA,
Italy.

Good luck.

Seraphina

Return to “Italian Genealogy”