Help to get Ficarra Sicily Church Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Help to get Ficarra Sicily Church Records

Postby Lili2 » 28 Aug 2010, 00:37

Hi everyone,
Im after some help getting Church Records from Ficarra Sicilia. I have traced part of my family from Fiumefreddo di Sicilia to Ficarra. I have been researching the Civil Registration records from Ficarra available via the Latter Day Saints Family History Library. The Civil Reg records go back to 1820 but there are no Church records available for this town via the Latter Day saints FHL. I plan to try the Census records but there are big jumps in the dates available eg 1815 then 1758. So not sure I'll be able to make sense of them.
Does anyone know if Church records are available to the public in these little towns?
I tried emailing the Comune for suggestions but no response yet.
Any suggestions regarding the best way forward (or should I say backward) from here?
Regards, Liliana
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Help to get Ficarra Sicily Church Records

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 01:07

There is only one parish currently listed in the Italian yellow pages for the town of Ficarra. You can search in the Italian yellow pages at:
http://www.paginegialle.it/

Where is says "cosa" type in chiese cattoliche and where it says "dove" type in the name of your town.

Parrocchia Maria SS. Assunta (abitazione del parroco)
4, VIA MADRE CHIESA
98062 Ficarra (ME)
Italia

tel: 0941 582077

To help you write to the parish in Italian, you can refer to the following website:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lili2 » 28 Aug 2010, 05:07

Thanks for the address, thats great......so is it OK to just write to them? Ive not done that before. Has anyone else?
I didnt think anyone would actually help at the Church?
I was hoping to go there myself at some stage in the future but wasnt sure if I would be allowed to look at the very old records. However if I can write to them for info I will.
Regards, Lili
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 10:22

If you are planning to visit there at some point, you should write to the parish in advance, make sure that your ancestors' records are in that parish's registers or books, and give the dates when you will be visiting and would like to view the records. It is my understanding that you will not be permitted to view the parish books by yourself-that someone will stay with you at all times. Also there could be a problem if the parish priest tends to more than one parish. With the shortage of priests, it is not uncommon for priests in Italy to administer to multiple parishes in different locations. So you must communicate with the parish in advance. I would even see if the parish has a website online. I have a cousin for whom I found an ancestral parish online. She communicated first with the priest via email and told him what records she needed. When she was then in Italy some months later, she met him and he gave her record copies he had gathered from his own parish and some neighboring ones, plus he had a dinner for her and husband with some 200 people attending, all of whom he told her were in some related to her ancestry. So you just never know. I also don't know if the parish in the current phonebook is the same parish that existed when your ancestors were alive there, so you should see if your ancestors are in the parish books there by sending a letter inquiring.

Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lili2 » 28 Aug 2010, 13:00

Thanks again Maestra for your guidance. Im pleased to hear about your cousins experience. My sister (who speaks fluent Italian) is going to phone the Church for me and find out when the priest visits and if we can look at the records OR if they can assist by mail. I will also try and find out if they have a website for the Church.
My plans to visit Sicily are vague at this point but Im still hopeful.
Lili

Return to “Italian Genealogy”