just a quick question!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

just a quick question!

Postby scannavino » 28 Aug 2010, 01:52

So..I was able to find out that my great great grandfather, Giovanni Scannavino, had a younger sister Santa Scannavino.... When I checked Ellis Island, I figured out that she came to New Jersey in 1911 when she was 15. I know for sure she was born in Ragusa, Sicily. ...I went on Familysearch.org and couldn't find anything for a Santa Scannavino. I did find other family members though....Does anyone know what/where I should go to find more information on Santa?

If I went to a family history library would I find her info there?

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: just a quick question!

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 02:25

You could rent microfilmed records for Ragusa at a local family history center. Go to www.familysearch.org and search under library across the top and then go to second option in drop down box under that category to find the closest center to your home and its hours of operation. All centers are staffed by volunteers and their hours and days of operation therefore vary. It costs about $5.50 to rent a roll of microfilm which is mailed to your local center from the main Mormon library in Salt Lake City. It normally takes 2 to 3 weeks for your film to come in.

For Ragusa, there are currently microfilmed records for the years 1820-1899. Since you have her date of birth estimated at 1896, you could rent one of the following rolls of microfilm:

Nati 1891-1896 FHL INTL Film 1546690
Nati 1896-1899 Nati (proietti) 1862-1865 FHL INTL Film 1546691 Items 1-4

Unfortunately the 1896 births are separated on two rolls of microfilm and there is no way to know which roll of film the record might be on, if the year of birth is, in fact, 1896. You may want to just rent the first roll and see if you get lucky with that one before trying to rent the second roll of film. Also the estimate might actually be earlier than 1896, so I would try the 1891 to 1896 film first. If you have never before researched microfilmed records, don't overwhelm yourself when first starting out. Hopefully the names will be in the margins and make that easy for you. There also may or may not be indexes or ones which are legible. You just never know, as each roll of film can be different.

scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

Postby scannavino » 28 Aug 2010, 02:53

Maestra36! Thank you! I just realized that I was I made a stupid mistake...She was actually born in 1884! This will be easier now, right?

This is what happened....

I went on ellisisland and found a Santa Scannavino (there was two of them) obviously I picked the one from RAGUSA, not palermo...I know when she married, her new name became La Terra. So just for the heck of it, I typed in Santa La Terra.....I found that she was actually 27 on age of arrival.....It was weird because the Santa Scannavino and Santa La Terra had the exact same record....Like, it was the same ship, that arrived on the same day..I'm not quite sure why they would put her record under twice..
..But just a note----under the Santa Scannavino profile it said DETAINED. I don't know what that means..

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 02:59

Okay, I am not sure I completely understand what you are saying. Even married women often traveled under their maiden names on the Ellis Island records, but you now believe that your ancestor did travel under her married and not maiden name? also are you now saying that her place of birth was Palermo and not Ragusa? I see we now have her age at 27 and a new estimated year of birth. Also Palermo is both a province and a city and, if Palermo, we would need to know which one.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 03:02

as to why individuals were detained at Ellis Island-sometimes they had to telephone a relative for money to get to their final destination. My grandmother, for example, was only 8 and traveled to the U.S. with a 20 year old cousin. Her parents were in Hartford Ct at that the time and she had to phone her father for money to take a train there. Sometimes they had to wait for a relative to come and get them.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 03:04

On the detainee list for your particular ancestor, you should see an explanation as to why that person was detained.

scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

Postby scannavino » 28 Aug 2010, 03:18

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you!!! :(

Let's see...this is what I'm saying...

There were two records for the same person. One record was her with her maiden name and the other record was her with her married name. I was just wondering why there would be two records for the same person :) The record with her maiden name, SANTA SCANNAVINO said DETAINED..the other record with her married name, SANTA LA TERRA is normal.

And yes, it's definitely Ragusa, not Palermo...

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 13:05

Okay, I finally found both the original manifest and the detainee list with your Santa on it. She arrived on March 27, 1911 aboard the Duca degli Abruzzi. The original manifest is on pages 0774 and 0775 on the Ellis Island website. If you type in the name Giovanna Lo Terra, spelled as I did, you will see the original manifest that goes with the detainee list. Santa's last name on the manifest was originally Scannavino and that was crossed out and La Terra was written over that probably because she was traveling with the children with the La Terra surname. Her father Francesco was in Ragusa. The Santa Scannavino that comes up when you search the name on the April 1, 1911 ship for the Verona was 16 and single and is not the same person. You have to understand that there could have been a number of people in the town with the same first and last name. They may or may not have been related. If I type in Santa Scannavino or Santa La Terra in doing a search, I cannot get to the original page of her manifest that goes with the detainee page. She was detained because of her husband who was probably not there to meet her and the children.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 28 Aug 2010, 13:12

maestra36 wrote:Okay, I finally found both the original manifest and the detainee list with your Santa on it. She arrived on March 27, 1911 aboard the Duca degli Abruzzi...

Hi!
Just for everyone's reference, the detainee page
http://a.imageshack.us/img715/647/1911i.jpg

and the same manifest (with children)
lines 21-23
page 1
http://a.imageshack.us/img819/1251/191101.jpg
page 2
http://a.imageshack.us/img839/4813/191102.jpg

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 13:17

Hi Valarie
Thanks for uploading the images.
Peg

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 28 Aug 2010, 13:20

Hi Peg :D !
Interesting surname revision note from 1935. Perhaps for naturalization purposes?
Valarie

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Aug 2010, 13:27

scannavino wrote:The record with her maiden name, SANTA SCANNAVINO said DETAINED..the other record with her married name, SANTA LA TERRA is normal.

For what it is worth, the list of Detainees usually comprises people whose papers/visa required that they be picked up at the port by someone, usually a husband or father.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 13:57

Carmine
I know that passports were not originally required by the U.S. for Italian immigrants and that quota visas were not required until 1924. So were their any kind of visas which Italian immigrants in 1911 would have had? I am not familiar with those.
Peg

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 28 Aug 2010, 13:58

meant to type "were there any kind of visas"

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Aug 2010, 14:07

maestra36 wrote:Carmine
I know that passports were not originally required by the U.S. for Italian immigrants and that quota visas were not required until 1924. So were their any kind of visas which Italian immigrants in 1911 would have had? I am not familiar with those.
Peg

Peg, you are correct.

Here is a better explanation:

The most commonly detained immigrants were women traveling alone (or with her children), destined to a husband, fiance, or male relative. These women could not be admitted without assurance that someone would care for and protect them. A woman may have been held to wait for her husband to come collect her, or to wait until a response was received to a telegram informing her husband or relative of her arrival. Once it was known someone expected her, she could be sent forward via rail to her destination. The "Cause of Detention" in these cases usually reads "to husb[and]," or to father, mother, sister, brother, brother-in-law (b-i-l), uncle, etc. Then, in the "Disposition" column, one will read the name and address of the person to whom the immigrant was released, even if that person is at an address far from Ellis Island. If this information is preceded by the initials "R.R.," it means the passenger was sent forward via rail.

http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/Manifests/detained/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”