Looking for info on Prato

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Looking for info on Prato

Post by nuccia »

Nice find suanj - I thought the 1930 Census was interesting. Ok, so now Bobbi needs us to trace the family back to Vincenzo PRATO and Francesca MORABITO. I need to go through my remaining films to see if I have any of their births..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Nuccia your finding helped so much! What I cannot understand why he declared himself single... and why abandoned the children... however no doubt that is the right person... Thanks for your very helpful input!
Hugs,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bobbi1261

Post by bobbi1261 »

Suanj and Nuccia,
I cannot thank you both enough, the information you provided tied up the disjointed information I already had and I now have a complete picture of what happened after my great grandmothers death. I was not aware that my great grandfather and great great uncle were both Enricos... Enrico Giuseppe (Henry Joseph) and Enrico Felice (Henry Felix). Knowing that and with the other records you gave me here is what happened... My great grandfather Enrico Giuseppe thought my great grandmother was having an affair with a greek border of theirs named Saavoroia Bereno at 6:30 am on 31 Jul 1917 he entered the house and shot my greatgrandmother (killing her instantly) and her alleged lover, Bereno (wounding him). he then according to the newspaper article "escaped, running from the house and over the hillside leading in the direction of Hopewell Twp. The police did not start to look for him until sometime after 10 am. According to family lore they did not try very hard to catch him. Which leads me to think that she may have been a adultress. The problem was her family was looking for him.
He evidently (the information you provided seems to confirm this) fled south into Alabama. Meanwhile at least 3 of his brothers were still in Woodlawn, Pa. On the orphanage records that I have they list a relative Henry Prato, an Uncle residing at 77 Sheffield Ave. Woodlawn, Pa. Again, because of the information you so graciously provided, I now realize that this is Enrico Felice or Henry Felix. Later on Felix settled around Hialeah, FL. At some point henry Joseph made his way there also and is listed in that 1930 cesus as living with his brother, until his death by drowning in 1936. There is some question as to how he died it is listed as drowning and Felix made the id, but I have heard that their may have been foul play involved. I am trying to see if I can get news accounts of the drowning to see what they say.
As to your question about declaring himself single and abandoning the children. At the time of the draft registration he was wanted for murder in PA. He supposedly was also wanted by Katherines family. So I'm sure using Henry instead of Joseph (after the murder he never uses Giuseppe or Joseph again) and leaving the children were all to protect him. He still had family in PA looking out for them and eventualy they were all removed from the orphanage and into various family members homes.He went to the oldest brother who would be the Cappa of the family here in the US.
bobbi1261

Post by bobbi1261 »

Now, again with the information you all provided I can hopefully start to find some roots in Italy. I am simply amazed in less then 48 hours you both have provided me with more info then I have been able to dig up in a year. I cannot thank you enough!!!!! I have been able to trace my other 3 grandparents back to the at least the 17th century and earlier but have always ran into a wall with the Prato branch. So I am so excited to be making progress at last. Thank you both again!!!

All Smiles!
Bobbi Prato
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

happy of help you!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

suanj wrote:Hi Nuccia your finding helped so much! What I cannot understand why he declared himself single... and why abandoned the children... however no doubt that is the right person... Thanks for your very helpful input!
Hugs,
suanj
We're a team here - when we work together we can accomplish much! :)

Becki - wow! What a story. I would love to see that newspaper article! Now, if I am not mistaken, the two sons had slightly different first names. Enrico Giuseppe and Errico Felice - These names, as well as Ferdinando, and the others were quite common in Ardore. Many times women were called Maria and then Concetta, Antonia, Catarina, Rosa, etc. At home the second names were used or "soppranome" but in the US it varied.

I'm going to follow your family since following the people of Ardore has become my hobby. They were an interesting bunch I can tell you! Many have interesting stories. The Prato's seem to be related on two sides in my tree (thanks to your information).

You can look though the Ardore site at:

http://www.calabriaexchange.com/Ardore/index.html

I will be adding to it as I find info and perhaps something will help you with your search.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

I'm from Beaver County in Pennsylvania originally. In case you need to know, here's a little history. Aliquippa - in 1928 - merged with a much larger town nearby named Woodlawn. The name of the new town became Aliquippa.

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

donnawright wrote:I'm from Beaver County in Pennsylvania originally. In case you need to know, here's a little history. Aliquippa - in 1928 - merged with a much larger town nearby named Woodlawn. The name of the new town became Aliquippa.

Donna
Good to know- thanks!

More about Errico Felice (or could be Errigo... I need to find the birth act to confirm) -- looks like Domenico went back to Ardore to pick a wife for Felix. On Oct 12, 1920, Domenico, along with his wife, Maria Rosa and son Trento Antonio traveled to the USA with Maria Rosa CHIRICOSTA daughter of Saverio and Maria Trimboli and born on 18 Jan 1895 in Ardore- who is listed as promised to Errico Felice, 77 Sheffield.

Maria Rosa Birth Act

This Maria Rosa is a distant ancestor of mine.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaryMena »

Hi Bobbi. My ancestors are all from Ardore. My great-great-grandmother was Maria Prato' (the 2 or 3 certificates that I've seen with this name seem to have an accent on the "o"). I haven't done too much research on this branch, but I know that she married Saverio Nobile (born c1804).

The Morabito surname comes up quite often in my ancestry. Although I don't know of anyone from the Prato' branch having moved to the US, I had several members of another branch, connected to Morabito's, who went to PA (Du Bois, Windber) in the early 1900's and later to Ohio and New Jersey.

I will resume my research in Ardore in the spring. Let me know if there is anything specific you would like me to look for.

Nuccia, it's good to see you posting again.

Mary
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Mary. At least this post caught my attention. My great Uncle Giuseppe Angilletta married a Prato and they lived in Ohio and PA. And now I see this other relative marrying one.

I didn't know you had the name in your tree - send me the info when you have time. How have things been with you? You're going to Ardore? Very nice!

I found the birth act of one of Saverio Nobile and Maria Prato's kids on my site - but you have probably seen it already! ;)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Sheffield..... Sheffield is another term associated with Aliquippa. There are all kinds of Sheffields ... Sheffield Terrace (a housing area), Sheffield Avenue, and probably others. Wonder if Sheffield was a town later merged with Aliquippa like Woodlawn was.

Is it possible that Prato became Pratte?
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaryMena »

Nuccia,

No, unfortunately, I'm not going to Ardore. I meant resume my search through microfilms.

I found three of their children in your records.
It's amazing how many of the same names you and I have in our ancestry. We're bound to find a connection one of these days. I don't know much more about this branch other than the direct line to me. Their son Francesco Rosario married Antonia Zappavigna.

Mary
bobbi1261

Post by bobbi1261 »

donnawright wrote:Sheffield..... Sheffield is another term associated with Aliquippa. There are all kinds of Sheffields ... Sheffield Terrace (a housing area), Sheffield Avenue, and probably others. Wonder if Sheffield was a town later merged with Aliquippa like Woodlawn was.

Is it possible that Prato became Pratte?
Donna I knew that Aliquippa and Woodlawn merged. I never checked into anything concerning Sheffield, outside of the fact that my family owned a home at 77 Sheffield Avenue. I imagine if they name occurs that frequently that it was most likely the name of an early settler in the area.
As far as Prato becoming Pratte it is posible I know immigration and sometimes the people themselves tried to anglasize their names. In my family it has always been Prato and is still my surname. The difference I find is some pronounce it with stress on the first syllable and with a long "A" so it comes out as pray-toe. My branch has always slightly rolled the "r" and stress on the second syllable... Prrah-toe.

Bobbi
bobbi1261

Post by bobbi1261 »

MaryMena wrote:Hi Bobbi. My ancestors are all from Ardore. My great-great-grandmother was Maria Prato' (the 2 or 3 certificates that I've seen with this name seem to have an accent on the "o"). I haven't done too much research on this branch, but I know that she married Saverio Nobile (born c1804).

The Morabito surname comes up quite often in my ancestry. Although I don't know of anyone from the Prato' branch having moved to the US, I had several members of another branch, connected to Morabito's, who went to PA (Du Bois, Windber) in the early 1900's and later to Ohio and New Jersey.

I will resume my research in Ardore in the spring. Let me know if there is anything specific you would like me to look for.

Nuccia, it's good to see you posting again.

Mary
Mary it's nice to meet you. The Morabito in my tree was my great-great grandmother. As far as I know she never came to the USA, all of her sons did and originally settled in western PA. The next generation my grandfathers wound up in Little Italy in Baltimore, and a good number of their descendents still live in and around there.
I also noticed Nuccia using the accent on the "o" and you mentioning it. I had never noticed thaton any of my research on Prato's in the U.S. So I assume it was dropped probly when they entered the country. Maybe I'll start to use it again.

Bobbi
bobbi1261

Post by bobbi1261 »

nuccia wrote:More about Errico Felice (or could be Errigo... I need to find the birth act to confirm) -- looks like Domenico went back to Ardore to pick a wife for Felix. On Oct 12, 1920, Domenico, along with his wife, Maria Rosa and son Trento Antonio traveled to the USA with Maria Rosa CHIRICOSTA daughter of Saverio and Maria Trimboli and born on 18 Jan 1895 in Ardore- who is listed as promised to Errico Felice, 77 Sheffield.
Maria Rosa Birth Act
This Maria Rosa is a distant ancestor of mine.
Maria Rosa Chiricosta did marry Errico Felice on arriving in the U.S. they lived in Woodlawn, PA and there first two children were born there, daughter Frances was born 13 Sep 1921 and son Fred was born 13 Oct 1922. They had three more daughters altough I'm not sure of their birthplace. Mary was born about 1923, Carmela born 1925, and Angelene born 1928. Some where between November 1922 and 1930 the moved the 1930 census shows the living in Hialeah, Dade Co. Florida. They lived in that area until their deaths, Maria Rosa on 3 Jan 1979 and Errico on 15 Jan 1991.