Tarsitano - Father & Son - Need Help finding lineage

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sp70

Tarsitano - Father & Son - Need Help finding lineage

Postby sp70 » 30 Aug 2010, 06:03

Hello,
New user here. I've hit a dead end in other sources while attempting to go further back. I've been working on one line of my family. Hoping to get some information that points to the origins in Italy where I can pick up the trail.

I'm looking for as much info as possible for the following individual, and especially his father, and mother, grand parents, etc.

Name at time of Birth = Pantaleo Vincanto Tarsitano
Alternative spelling: Panteleone Vincanto Tarsitano
Born: 24 Jul 1889
Name at time of Death = Thomas Vincent Pantle
Died: 18 Aug 1961

Here's some of the information I've collected over the years:

Went by the name "Tom Pantle"
Thomas Vincent Pantle - naturalized name possibly changed in Oregon
birth name was Tarsitano (The spelling of the last name I am actually not certain of based on how the signature appears on the Ellis Island 1902 Manifest on lines 17 & 18:

[url=http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=/cgi-bin/tif2gif.exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\IMAGES\\T715-0278\\T715-02780379.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=102758060377&name=Francesco%26nbsp;Tarsitano&doa=May+23,+1902&port=Naples&line=0017]Spartan Prince 1902 Manifest - Ellis Island New York[/url]

I am having a great deal of difficulty deciphering the signature on lines 17 & 18 as the letter 'S' in Tarsitano actually appears to be the letter 'F'. But I'm no expert. According to the translation of the ship manifest, the father's name was translated to be 'Francesco Tarsitano'.
Again, the first name does not appear to be 'Francesco', but that's how it was translated.

The only date and location I've dug up on Francesco (which I'm not 100% certain about the name) is:
Birth: Abt. 1853 in Faguano Castello, Italy

The father may have made more than one trip to and from the United States when attempting to bring other relatives from Italy to the United States.

According to the World War I Draft Registration Cards for the years 1917-1918, Thomas departed Naples Italy on 6 May 1902 and arrived on May 20th 1902, which is close to the arrival date of May 23rd Manifest date on the Ellis Island manifest.

Thomas came from Italy with father on the Spartan Prince worked on railroad in California and worked his way north stopping in Portland, Oregon, USA

Father died in home town Faguano Castello, Italy (southern Italy south of Naples)

It was mentioned that Thomas first come over and lived in New Jersey

Thomas was married to Bessy Blanche Stein out of Jefferson Missouri

Bessy's brother Ed - he had a farm possibly near Corvallis, Oregon

Thomas possibly had a brother named Edwardo

From the EllisIsland.org manifest:
Italy, So. Italian (Country of origin)
Fagnano is the indicated City of origin in Italy
May 23, 1902 (arrival date)
12 years of age on arrival.
boat Spartan Prince
Naples, Campania, Italy (port of departure)

Looking for family information, proper spelling, date corrections, siblings, lineage, anything and everything to help put the pieces together for this rather difficult line in my family's history.

Much thanks for your time. (Please forgive the poor organization / presentation of this information if it comes across confusing).

Shad

Michael31
Master
Master

Re: Tarsitano - Father & Son - Need Help finding lineage

Postby Michael31 » 30 Aug 2010, 12:42

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 30 Aug 2010, 13:37

sp70 wrote:...I'm looking for as much info as possible for the following individual, and especially his father, and mother, grand parents, etc.

Name at time of Birth = Pantaleo Vincanto Tarsitano
Alternative spelling: Panteleone Vincanto Tarsitano
Born: 24 Jul 1889
Name at time of Death = Thomas Vincent Pantle
Died: 18 Aug 1961

Here's some of the information I've collected over the years:

Went by the name "Tom Pantle"
Thomas Vincent Pantle - naturalized name possibly changed in Oregon
birth name was Tarsitano (The spelling of the last name I am actually not certain of based on how the signature appears on the Ellis Island 1902 Manifest on lines 17 & 18:

[url=http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=/cgi-bin/tif2gif.exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\IMAGES\\T715-0278\\T715-02780379.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=102758060377&name=Francesco%26nbsp;Tarsitano&doa=May+23,+1902&port=Naples&line=0017]Spartan Prince 1902 Manifest - Ellis Island New York[/url]

I am having a great deal of difficulty deciphering the signature on lines 17 & 18 as the letter 'S' in Tarsitano actually appears to be the letter 'F'. But I'm no expert. According to the translation of the ship manifest, the father's name was translated to be 'Francesco Tarsitano'.
Again, the first name does not appear to be 'Francesco', but that's how it was translated...

Shad,
Welcome to the Forum
Best guess, it appears that Pantaleone's father is Vincenzo
Do you have all of your US census records? They may help sort out these relationships.
Valarie

line 17
Francesco Tarsitano 58, abt 1844
- married
- last residence Fagnano
- destination New York (may be) Newark NJ
- joining brother Vincenzo

line 18
nephew Pantaleone Tarsitano 12, abt 1890
- single
- last residence Fagnano
- destination New York (may be) Newark NJ
- joining father Vincenzo
---

1902 manifest
Detained passenger page from ancestry. com
http://a.imageshack.us/img827/3310/1902dp.jpg

line 109
Tarsitano, Fco (Francesco) and neph (nephew)
to brother (joining brother)
(released to/ met by) Nephew & Coz (cousin) Angela/o Quintieri/o at 193 Mully (Mulberry Street) NY
Released 25 May at 12:15
---

manifest markings guide
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/
===

For everyone's reference, your 1917 WWI Card
http://a.imageshack.us/img291/8189/1917es.jpg

sp70

Postby sp70 » 30 Aug 2010, 17:12

[quote=Valerie]Shad,
Welcome to the Forum
Best guess, it appears that Pantaleone's father is Vincenzo
Do you have all of your US census records? They may help sort out these relationships.
Valarie[/quote]

Valerie,
Thank you for the VERY helpful info. This contributes to explaining the multiple trips by Francesco.

Currently, the only census records that I have come across are the 1920 & 1930 records on ancestry.com. By that time he was already married and living in Portland.

I also have the World War I draft registration card & the World War II draft registration card.

I also have the Oregon Death Index.

All of these records are ONLY for Panteleone (and with the variations of the spelling of his name, I'm still wondering what his name actually was).

A family legend passed down suggests that Thomas was involved with the mafia, and went into hiding - thus changing his name. I don't know if this was perhaps a witness protection plan sponsored change. I wouldn't begin to know where to look for help on this outside of contacting any number of county court houses to find the actual name change paperwork. Up to this point, everything I've listened to has just been stories.

sp70

Postby sp70 » 30 Aug 2010, 17:14

Michael31,

Thank you for the very helpful information!

Now it's a matter of what office to contact and which route to take.

Thanks again!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 30 Aug 2010, 18:26

Now it's a matter of what office to contact and which route to take

If you would like to write to Fagnano Castello for Pantaleone's birth record:

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Or other helpful form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Address:

Comune di Fagnano Castello
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Garibaldi
87013 Fagnano Castello CS
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/36-fagnano-castello/
---

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 30 Aug 2010, 18:51

The Lds has microfilmed records of civil registration, which include Births, marriages, banns, marriage documents, and deaths.
Dates covered are 1809 thru 1910.

Microfilm

These can be rented and viewed at a local family history center.

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 30 Aug 2010, 18:59

Hi wldspirit :D !

sp70

Postby sp70 » 30 Aug 2010, 19:56

WOW! I am very impressed with the resources all of you are sharing here! All of you are wonderful! This is tremendously helpful!!!

Thank you!!!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 30 Aug 2010, 22:26

Shad
I'm so glad we could help :D .
Valarie
---

Here's Pantaleone's father Vincenzo in 1906

17 May 1906, SS Bulgaria, Naples to NY
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003

line 3
Vincenzo Torsitano (Tarsitano) 45, abt 1861
- last residence Fagnano
- destination Portland Org
- joining son Pantali (Pantaleone) at 666 Court(?) St
---

note: it appears that both Paterson NJ and Portland OR were favored destinations for many folks from Fagnano
---

a couple of sites that may help with original names

surnames (allows partial searches by region):
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

given names:
http://web.archive.org/web/200711100041 ... ename.html

peej

Postby peej » 16 Nov 2010, 07:58

My grandmother was a Tarsitano from Fagnano Castello. The man you're speaking of lived just doors away from her. I have run into his name before and wondered if he was in Portland and living near my grandmother because he was related to her. I am also now connected with a man in Paterson, NJ, who is connected to Tarsitanos from Fagnano Castello. He's going to be doing some FHC research soon (has ordered a film that neither of us had previously looked at) and will pull out all the info that looks like a connection to our Tarsitano family. I'll ask him to keep his eye open for any sign of Panteleone. I know a fair amount about our Tarsitanos, as does he, but we don't yet know anything about Panteleone. Please keep in touch if you learn anything, and we'll do the same. And the correct spelling is Tarsitano, I'm sure, as Fagnano is loaded with people with that last name, and that's how my grandmother's family spells the name. We still have Tarsitano relatives living there and some residing there part time and the rest of the time in Naples. I solved another family mystery (my grandfather Amato in Portland) and would love to find out if there's a connection and learn about this relative of yours. Maybe I can be of assistance.

peej

Postby peej » 16 Nov 2010, 08:01

Sorry, it's late and I'm tired. After reading my post I don't know if I made it clear that my grandmother lived in Portland, Oregon. That's why Panteleone's name caught my attention in the first place. There were not many Tarsitanos in Oregon--ever.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”