Searching for information about General Francesco Grano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Searching for information about General Francesco Grano

Postby siskojnash » 01 Sep 2010, 01:44

Like the subject says, I am searching for information about Francesco Grano, who was a general in the Italian army, according to my fiancee's grandmother. Unfortunately, I don't have a birth or death date for him. I know he ended up emigrating to the United States.
I have information about his children, though. His daughter, Giuseppina (Josephine) Grano was born on July 19, 1885 in Naples. She died on Feb 8, 1973 in Brooklyn, NY. Her brother, Luigi Grano, was born on 9/3/1895 in Naples and died on 2/1976 in Brooklyn, NY. Her other brother, Vincenzo Grano, was born on 9/12/1897 in Naples and died on 2/1976 in Brooklyn, NY.
There's another relative, but I'm not certain I placed him in the tree correctly. I have him as a brother. His name is Ignagio Grano and he was born in 1877 in Italy. Is there some sort of listing for generals in Italy's armies? Since he was so high up, I would think it's at least possible to find out about him and his family. I would like any information I can find about him. I know a bit about the children I mentioned. Also about their descendents. Thank you.

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Re: Searching for information about General Francesco Grano

Postby siskojnash » 03 Sep 2010, 17:57

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I don't know where to even begin with this one. Do military records exist for Italian armies?

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 03 Sep 2010, 20:05

Hi,
I found a Francesco Grano, born in Palermo, residing in Naples, going in 1913 from Angela Mormone wife in NY:New York Passenger

Lists, 1820-1957 about Francesco Grano
Name: Francesco Grano
Arrival Date: 12 Sep 1913
Birth Year: abt 1848
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: Palermo

Ethnicity/Race¬/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Hamburg

pag 1 http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4065 ... grano1.jpg

pag 2 http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9348/francescograno2.jpg

Angela MORMONE arrived in USA with children Luigi (b. 1895) and Vincenzo ( b. 1897) GRANO in the 1911;

Angela left the mother Filomena in Naples and joining at daughter Giuseppina Grano in 175 Mulberry st New York, NY; Angela Grano nee Mormone as a well the children was born in Naples:

pag 1 http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9792/a ... rmone1.jpg

pag 2 http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2235/a ... rmone2.jpg

the probable 1920 census:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Frank Grono
Name: Frank Grono
[Frank Grosso] ( NO: it is FRANK GRANO)
Home in 1920: Manhattan Assembly District 8, New York, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1848
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Angelina Grono
[Josephine Franconeri]
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1914
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Grono 72
Angelina Grono 60
John Grono 30 ( Giovanni son)
Louie Grono 24 (Luigi son)
Jimmy Grono 22 (Vincenzo son)
Joseph Franconeri 40
Josephine Franconeri 35 ( Giuseppina daughter)
Michaline Franconeri 6
Angelena Franconeri 5
Angelo Franconeri 3
[3 4/12]
Rossina Franconeri 1
[1 10/12]
Alfredo Franconeri 0
[4/12]

abt Giovanni Grano son of Francesco Grano and Angela Mormone:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Giovanni Grano
Name: Giovanni Grano
City: Manhattan
County: New York
State: New York
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 7 Jun 1889
FHL Roll Number: 1766137
DraftBoard: 117
born in Naples, address:[b] 544 E 12th st, NY; [/b]single; father and mother supporter

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about John Grano
Name: John Grano
Birth Date: 5 Jun 1889
Birth Place:
Residence: Kings, New York
Roll: WW2_2369713

next of kin: Josephine Franconeri/o

Francesco Grano death:

Grano Francesco 80 y May 12 1928 11051 (1928) Kings 1847 - 1848

it is the Francesco Grano that you are searching for???
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 03 Sep 2010, 20:29

abt Ignazio Grano maybe he was a nephew and not a son of Francesco Grano; he was born in Palermo;
the wife was Clotilde Caruso; the family came in USA in 1906 with children Rosalia, Filippo and Gaspare Grano; joining at brothers in law Francesco and Rodolfo Caruso in NY

the ship's manifest:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004
maybe you already have it
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Postby siskojnash » 06 Sep 2010, 00:52

Thank you so much for finding out all this. I do have the ellis island document for Ignazio Grano. Could you please post the WWI draft registration and WWII for Giovanni and John Grano? Could you please also post the 1920 census for Frank Grano? I just checked mine and realized I didn't have the page with their info on it. It must have been at the end of a page. I have the following page, though.
Do you think there would be any sort of documents about Francesco Grano's service with the Italian army as a general? Or anything like a census that might show who his parents or siblings might have been? The military must have been why he was apparently born in Palermo, yet ended up having a family in Naples.
Do you think there would be anything about Ignazio Grano before he emigrated in 1906? It seems likely that he would have been in the Naples area. I wonder exactly who he is. My fiancee's family doesn't really know much at all about this part of the family history. I am pretty much the one finding things out, for the most part, although the information that I've learned from my fiancee's grandmothers has been invaluable.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 06 Sep 2010, 08:41

Thank you so much for finding out all this. I do have the ellis island document for Ignazio Grano. Could you please post the WWI draft registration and WWII for Giovanni and John Grano? Could you please also post the 1920 census for Frank Grano? I just checked mine and realized I didn't have the page with their info on it. It must have been at the end of a page. I have the following page, though.
Do you think there would be any sort of documents about Francesco Grano's service with the Italian army as a general? Or anything like a census that might show who his parents or siblings might have been? The military must have been why he was apparently born in Palermo, yet ended up having a family in Naples.
Do you think there would be anything about Ignazio Grano before he emigrated in 1906? It seems likely that he would have been in the Naples area. I wonder exactly who he is. My fiancee's family doesn't really know much at all about this part of the family history. I am pretty much the one finding things out, for the most part, although the information that I've learned from my fiancee's grandmothers has been invaluable.

-WWI draft registration card of Giovanni Grano:
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4136/wwigrano.jpg

-WWII Draft Registration Cards, 1942 of John Grano:
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/7329/wwiigrano.jpg

-1920 census of Frank Grano:
pag 1 http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1376/1920grano.jpg
pag 2 http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2549/1920grano2.jpg

for military service of Francesco Grano they are in Palermo archive( birth province) but it need of to know the birthdate and the district because Palermo is a big town with many districts...
you sure that he was general.... ??? on the ship's manifest he is a farm laborer....
abt Ignazio I have no idea... he and wife and children coming from Palermo at emigration time, so I know not if he spent some time in Naples also...

however you can search abt the Granos in Palermo civil records , by LDS microfilms:
Registri dello stato civile di Palermo (Palermo), 1820-1908 Palermo (Palermo). Ufficio dello stato civile

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... di++Pale++
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Postby siskojnash » 06 Sep 2010, 21:31

Thank you very much for these documents. I just checked the 1920 Census for Frank Grano. I noticed that John Grano was naturalized in 1919. Do you think there would be naturalization documents available? I just tried searching on ancestry, but had no luck.
I just realized that there are two separate Louie Granos. One is in Frank Grano's household. He's 24 and a tailor. Two houses away, another Louie Grano was the head of household. He was also 24, but was a presser of shirts.
With the houses being that close to each other, they were likely two separate people, right? Particularly since they had two different occupations. I wonder how the second one is related, then. I thought that was Josephine's brother, but now I'm wondering about that.
This is the first time that I've come across two people with the same name, age, and residential area at the same exact time.

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Postby siskojnash » 07 Sep 2010, 21:15

Has anyone else come across a situation where you have two relatives with the same name, are the same age, and lived only two houses from each other?

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Postby siskojnash » 13 Sep 2010, 19:46

Do you think there would be naturalization documents for John (Giovanni) Grano? He was apparently naturalized in 1919, according to the census.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”