family history centers

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

family history centers

Postby scannavino » 02 Sep 2010, 20:26

So...are the family history centers very helpful? I'm planning on going to one tonight....What can you basically do there? can you order birth/death/marriage certificates and things like that?

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: family history centers

Postby maestra36 » 02 Sep 2010, 21:54

You can order microfilm for your ancestral town, if there are records available on microfilm. Sometimes someone else will have your town's records on permanent loan, in which instance you would be able to view them immediately. Otherwise you need to wait for the films to be sent from the main Mormon library in Salt Lake City Utah. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for your local center to get them once they have been ordered and paid for. Good luck.

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Postby Joannsalvo » 02 Sep 2010, 23:26

They also have computers that you can access (for free) ancestry.com,
footnote.com and some others.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 02 Sep 2010, 23:59

It is my understanding that there may no longer be free access to ancestry.com at the local family history centers. I heard that last week at my village genealogy club meeting from people who had attended a major genealogy conference at which there were reps from the Mormon church

Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Postby Joannsalvo » 03 Sep 2010, 00:04

At my FHC in New Jersey, the center pays for access to ancestry.com.
It is free to the patrons.
There is a charge to print out hard copies from the computers.
5-10 cents per page.
I would call before going to see what they offer.
Not all FHC's are the same.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Sep 2010, 00:08

That's correct. The family history centers do vary from location to location, so you need to contact your local center to see what they offer.

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 03 Sep 2010, 21:09

At my local FHC in Scotland we can no longer order films at the centre . You now have to order, and pay for them on-line and the cost of ordering the films have risen quite a bit. Once ordered they are then posted to your local FHCentre.
Emmy

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Sep 2010, 21:25

I find what you are saying very interesting, as I know the local centers I have been to in the U.S. have been against allowing patrons to order and pay for their microfilm rentals online, as then they feel they have no control over the inventory of microfilms that are being mailed to their local centers. I would think the process would expedite the amount of time it takes for your local center to receive your microfilms, especially since some local centers have limited days and hours of operation. I don't know why, however, it would add to the cost, as the price you pay for microfilm rental is supposed to include the cost of postage to your local center, and sometimes the cost of a phone call from them to you to let you know your microfilm has arrived. I would think the cost should not be affected by you vs them ordering the microfilm online.

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 03 Sep 2010, 23:03

I am also finding that the centers do vary from location to location.
My cousin ordered a film at his center in Italy. After waiting months, he asked me to try to get the film. I ordered it and received it within 3 weeks. I have scanned the record he was seeking and sent it to him. I believe he may still be waiting for the film at his center.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 04 Sep 2010, 22:27

I ordered microfilms for the first time at my local CT family history library. It took 3 weeks to get them. The library hours vary by location and I was disappointed this morning when I showed up only to find that it was closed for the holiday weekend. The microfilm readers are old and it is quite difficult to photograph records because they are the "down" projecting type, not the kind you look straight into.

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 05 Sep 2010, 00:48

Chris

Are you near a larger center where they may have a scanner? That is the easiest way to capture records from the microfilm.
I use the Hartford Stake Center which is in Bloomfield. I notice you are in CT. Are you close enough to Htfd.?
I understand there are other centers in CT that have scanners.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 06 Sep 2010, 20:18

maestra36

The cost per film at my FHC has gone from £4.50 to have one film ordered for indefinate loan to £18.00 per film. Because the FHC is only open on certain days I'm almost certain the films are sent directly to the person in charge of the FHC. and then when the film arrives they take the films to the centre when its open.
Emmy

Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lili2 » 07 Sep 2010, 23:34

I live in Australia and this year we were told that the microfilms are to be ordered online. That's been fine for me as I have a credit card and have worked out how to order. However I have noticed that older people come into the FHC and leave quite disappointed as they are not sure how to navigate the new system and do not necessarily have a credit card. Also the cost has gone up and the amount of time we have access to the films has gone down. It used to be 90 days from the date it is received, now its 60 days because they allow 30 days for it to arrive. If you get it before the 30 days you get a few days extra.
The enlargers are very old and at my centre there is only one lens that I can use to view my films. If someone else gets there first and uses that lens then I have to book in on another day which decreases the amount of time I can view the film. Generally its pretty frustrating.
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.

Petrojo

Postby Petrojo » 08 Sep 2010, 18:46

I really enjoy browsing the records but a times it can be frustrating. The FHC I visit has 1 scanner which was not working last weekend, and 1 machine with a printer. Those machines are usually taken. They have many overhead readers that project the image down.

I wonder why the microfilm records aren't put online. It would be convenient to access them through Ancestry even if you had to manually browse through them.

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 08 Sep 2010, 21:32

Hi Lili2
You can pay a bit extra and get the films sent out on indefinate loan and then you can take your time researching. I have all the films I've ordered on indefinate loan (some for over 2/3 years now) and they've even provided me with a drawer in the filing cabinet just for my films. I feel it pays to pay that bit extra because sometimes you find you really need to go back and recheck information. And they're always at hand if anyone else needs some help in the area you have the films for.
Although I know how to order on-line I would still prefer to order the films at the FHC.
Emmy

Return to “Italian Genealogy”