Santa Eufemia vs Caramonico

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Santa Eufemia vs Caramonico

Postby Andante » 07 Sep 2010, 22:42

Google has "A Brief History of Santa Eufemia" which is actually some 45 pages long and very interestng!
In this history the mayors of the town are mentioned from the 1940's.
One of those mentioned is Michele Liberatore. He is also mentioned a few other times in this work.

My Liberatore family comes from Caramonico, a town just next to Santa Eufemia. The youngest son was Michele Liberatore, born in 1906. Could this be the same person? If you have any knowledge of this man, please write.
Michele Liberatore emigrated to Toronto, Canada in the 1950's with his wife, Sylvia and two sons--John and Paul.

I've also been told that he fought with the Italian army in North Africa against the British during WWII and was taken prisoner and held in India for some years. That is why these two stories don't seem to fit together as the same man.

If you can shed any light on this mystery your efforts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Santa Eufemia vs Caramonico

Postby Italysearcher » 08 Sep 2010, 05:53

In my experience the people who emigrated were typically the uneducated farm labourers with no foreseeable future. A person who held the position of Mayor would be none of those things. He is more likely a landowner, educated and with no reason to leave Italy.
Ann Tatangelo
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. ... ly/7731505

Return to “Italian Genealogy”