Frustrating Immigration Search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Frustrating Immigration Search

Postby dixiecricket13 » 08 Sep 2010, 16:46

I need your help, or suggestions.

I have a family of Milazzo's that immigrated from Bisacquino, supposedly through New Orleans, to Alabama. Their census records are all over the place with regard to what year they immigrated. I h ave found the naturalization papers for 2 of the 3 sisters and they both indicate that they arrived in New Orleans, one says in 1881, the other says in July 1881. I cannot locate them on any manifest.

Family legend had it that one of the sisters told about how they butchered and misspelled her name when registering her. The family that came over was:

Giuseppe Milazzo - b.1846
Frances Milazzo - b.1851
Vincenza (or Vigenza as her naturalization papers state) - b.1873
Bernarda (or Bernice as her naturalization papers state) - b. 1877
Saveria - b. 1880

Any help or suggestions would be great.
-C

lilbees
Master
Master

Re: Frustrating Immigration Search

Postby lilbees » 09 Sep 2010, 19:23

Do you know the maiden name of Francesca Milazzo? The children may have traveled under her maiden name and not Milazzo.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 09 Sep 2010, 20:28

Her maiden name is an interesting subject. See if you can follow my trail of tears below:

1) I have found her 2 oldest daughter's baptismal records and she is listed as Benedicta Lanza and Francesca Lanza on those records (here and here)
2) Her marriage record lists her parents as unknown and gives no last name for her (here)
3) When her daughters (the 2 oldest) died here in the US, her name on their death certificates was listed as "Francis Destfina" and "Frances Destfano"
4) When she herself died in the US in 1920, her parents were listed on her death record as "malo Jeffres" and "Francis Connereila"

For a time I suspected that her husband had been married either before or after, so that I could account for the different last names, but on all of the census records, her birth year and their marriage year/length of marriage remains the same.

Any ideas on what is going on?

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 10 Sep 2010, 12:45

Without getting into any discussion or history about the maiden name try searching for the manifest under that name, the same with her daughters. Yes the children should have been Milazzo but that happens on some manifests.

Francesca Lanza

daughters:
Vincenza
Bernarda
Saveria

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 10 Sep 2010, 16:56

Yes, I have searched for their names under "Lanza" and "Distefano" and cannot find anything. The 2 oldest daughters state in their naturalization papers that they arrived in 1881.

According to all of the census accounts, I know that they arrived sometime between 1881-1886. I have searched all of these years and haven't found anything yet.

Do we know that all ship manifests are available online?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”