Several questions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fadippides
Rookie
Rookie

Several questions

Postby fadippides » 10 Sep 2010, 17:02

I found a birth record from 1825 which indicates my relatives lived in Montorio Nei Frentani before moving to Larino.

If it wasnt for a hunch that they were from that town I would have never found them; is there a way to trace movement between towns? They were born (and I presume married since they werent married in Larino)there.

The listed profession is Proprietario, is this basically owning a building or two and just renting them, perhaps a landlord? but on par with contadino (which all my other relatives were) as far as social status?

Two middle names, My ggg grandfather was listed as Adamo Nicola Pasquale (del Rosso). It is the first time I have seen two middle names, was this common?

and finally when he was born, the two witnesses were both Morielli's ( I am assuming brothers). He would later marry a Morielli and at some point move to Larino and have a few children. Was it common to marry neighboors/acquantiances for convience/arangements?

apiapibij

Re: Several questions

Postby apiapibij » 10 Sep 2010, 19:15

I do not know if I am qualified enough to answer your questions professionally, but this is what i think or experienced:
- As far as I know the only document in which you can trace down from where someone came in the period of 1825 is the marriage-act. When you are lucky you can occasionally find something in a death-act.
- A propretario is someone who has some more possessions (mosltly land) than his fellow-villagers. It also depends on the character of the person. So were al the ancestors of my wife massari (= more or less contadini), but her greatgrandfather listed himself as a proprietaio because, as everyone who has known him told me, he was a very proud person and likes to impress people.
-The use of middle names is, as far as I experienced, often local. I have seen registers where the use of more than one name was rare, but also registers in which almost everybody of the parrocchia (don't know the english word) had three names. F.e. the natives of the parrocchia Santa Maria d'Itria of Reggio Calabria in the register of 1750-1790 had almost all three names. While in the same period those of the village of Bagaladi, not too far away from Reggio had one or two names. Was it the influence of the priest?
- When the civil state started, in southern Italy in 1809, it was the use that the father and another familymember were the witnesses. After 1818 or so I have seen a change and mostly it were neighbours doing the job. As most (all?) marriages were arranged and economic factors dominated, I think we can concider it as normal that marriages between neighbours were common as their pieces of land were confining.

fadippides
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Several questions

Postby fadippides » 10 Sep 2010, 22:11

Thanks for the detailed answers, they provide a lot more context of what I am researching as I am still relatively new to examining the Italian records. In my case the marriage records arent in the town where they ended up having some (maybe all) of their kids but based on the two surnames appearing in montorio I checked for their birth records and they were there.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”