Does anyone have access to 'Famliysearch.com'?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Emmy
Master
Master

Does anyone have access to 'Famliysearch.com'?

Postby Emmy » 11 Sep 2010, 11:39

If someone does have a subscription to this site I would be grateful if you could look up a birth record for Giulietta Iuda (Italy)
Thanking you in advance
Emmy

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Does anyone have access to 'Famliysearch.com'

Postby maestra36 » 11 Sep 2010, 13:02

if you are referring to the Mormon website, www.familysearch.org, you do not need a subscription to view this site. There are some birth acts on their pilot site which you can access through this website, but there are only certain areas of Italy for which they currently have actual records online.

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 11 Sep 2010, 13:47

Thanks Maestra I made a mistake with the web site title I have looked at the Mormon site but the name didnt show up
Many thanks for replying to my post, much appreciated.
Emmy

bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bottino » 19 Sep 2010, 01:12

Maestra, I use this site a great deal, but they appear not to have anything new from the area my family came from, Forno Canavese. Do you know any way to find out if there are any new areas in Italy Family Search does have detailed information on. I do have access to a single microfilm from that area, but I have a void between 1850 and 1870. Also are there any other good sources of information from that period.
Thanks
Paul

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 19 Sep 2010, 02:58

Paul
I am not really sure what to tell you. My one suggestion would be to email the town's anagrafe or registry office and tell them that you are seeking records for family members for the years between 1850 and 1870 and ask them if these records would be available from this office. If not, then they should be able to direct you to the correct place (possibly at the province level) to secure these records. I need to check the LDS website to see if there are provincial records for this province that would include your town.

servizidemografici@comunefornocanavese.to.it (there should be no spaces in the email address)

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 19 Sep 2010, 03:07

I see province films for the province of Torino for the years of 1744 to 1813 listed, but I don't see any province films listed for the years you need. I also don't see any regional films listed that might have had the missing years for your town.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 19 Sep 2010, 03:24

Archivio di Stato
Provincia di Torino
Via S. Chiara, 40
10100 Torino, Italia

If contacting the town at the email address I gave you doesn't yield any information, then I would try the province level at the above address.

Any correspondence though would need to be in Italian.

bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bottino » 19 Sep 2010, 22:19

Thank you, I will try.
Otherwise I will have to come to Italy and try and look myself.
Paul

Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Irishinamerica » 11 Mar 2011, 06:31

Paul,

The FHS library does actually have the microfilms from that time period. I actually have them checked out to me right now. AND...I'm looking at the same surname as you are (Rolle).

I've found that if you click on the older familysearch website and then go into the catalog it shows up really on the older catalog.

But the name of the town changed at some point - try looking up Forno di Rivara.

bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bottino » 11 Mar 2011, 15:05

Thanks, I have noticed in some of my older records it is Forno Rivara. I have the LDS films from Forno Canavese, but I have been told by an Italian researcher there are no records from that parish between 1838 and 1910. I'm thinking this is going to be a problem for me. By the way there are lots of Rolle's in those films between 1800 and 1836.

Thanks again.

Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Irishinamerica » 12 Mar 2011, 16:52

Paul,

You're right there are a LOT of Rolle's in this micro films. I'm thinking about getting the state of family just to make it easier.

Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Does anyone have access to 'Famliysearch.com'?

Postby Irishinamerica » 23 Jun 2011, 23:46

Paul,

I just wanted to give you an update. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that your Italian researcher who told you that the parish does not have records from the period of 1838 to 1910 is incorrect.
But I found your solution! My great great grandfather, a Rolle, was born in Forno di Rivara/Forno Canavese in 1870 - and I was able to get his baptism record and those of his siblings (ranging from 1868 to 1884) by instead looking up Torino on the Familysearch catalog.

The baptisms are arranged by date and by parish. So when you look at the microfilms for Torino you need to look at the alpha- order and make sure you get the year that you are looking for, that covers F- in the alphabet for Forno Rivara/Canavese.

Hopes this helps!

BTW I am also researching Rolle's from that area!

bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bottino » 24 Jun 2011, 01:25

Thank you. I think I understand what you are saying. Am I right, look for a Torino film, and not a Forno Canavese film? I will have to check that out.
Thanks again
Paul

Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Irishinamerica » 24 Jun 2011, 02:38

Yes - that's exactly what I did. Here's the link to the Catholic Church records that I am referring to.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... m%2F414653

Most of the films are arranged by year, and there are multiple parishes per film. So you have to know the year, and find the film that would have Forno di Rivara/Forno Canavese on it.

I've only gone back to 1868 that way...so I assume that earlier records from Forno Rivara would be in there.

bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bottino » 24 Jun 2011, 04:52

It has taken me an hour or so to exactly digest what you are saying. I think that this may be a very useful tip for me. My grandparents were born in 1870 and 1869, so this may be how to find them. I have the Forno Canavese films that go back from 1838 back to 1800 and am almost done extracting the birth records of the entire parish. And yes there are lots of Rolles in there.
Lets stay in touch.
Paul

Return to “Italian Genealogy”