Francesco Lercara

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
svick

Francesco Lercara

Postby svick » 14 Sep 2010, 03:12

Could use a little guidance on my puzzle.

My GF came to the states in 1921. I have a record of him arriving on the SS Guglielmo Peirce, August 10, 1921. His father is listed as Fransceso Lercara (traveled with him) and his mother, Franscesca Barusso (she was not on the ship, only listed as Franscesco's wife on ship manifest). Both Salvatore and Franscesco are listed as being from Alia, Italy.

I wrote to the civil registration office in Italy and received a letter back today, however my mystery goes unsolved.
On the list are
Franscesco Lercara, born 08nov1872, Alia, Italy
Franscesco Borruso, born 06jan1878, Alia, Italy
Luciano Lercara, born 20oct1902, New Orleans
Giuseppe Lercara, born 30apr1918, Alia, Italy

My GF Salvatore Lercara, born 27feb1905, Alia, Italy is not listed. I know my GF had 2 brothers but I don't know their names (one was a judge and the other a lawyer). I am not sure if the family listed above is worth pursuing or if I should cross them off the list because he's not listed. What do you think?

I also know my GF and GGF (and my oldest brother) spent time in Hammond, LA during the late 50's and early 60s. Apparently, the family had a farm or worked on one. If anyone is searching for Lercara's in the Hammond, LA or the Chicago area I would be interested in hearing from you.

As for how to proceed with the information I have, I would appreciate your input.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Francesco Lercara

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Sep 2010, 15:19

Hello :-)

Here is a Naturalization Index record for Salvatore Lercara.
DoB is Feb. 27, 1905
Arrival NY on August 10, 1921.
It contains his Petition Number for Naturalization.
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7575 ... atcard.jpg

You can send for his naturalization papers which will have valuable information...
You will need to create an account (free) to order documents (small fee)
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Sep 2010, 15:23

Social Security Death Index for "Sam Lercara, Chicago, IL"

Social Security Death Index
about Sam B. Lercara
Name: Sam B. Lercara
SSN: 320-10-0194
Last Residence: 60626 Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States of America
Born: 27 Feb 1905
Died: 21 Sep 1997
State (Year) SSN issued: Illinois (Before 1951)

You can send for his Social Security Application which will have his parents' names and place of birth... if you need this.

http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Sep 2010, 15:35

You might want to check out your nearest LDS Family History Center. They have available microfilm of Civil Records for Alia, 1821 - 1910. Births (nati), deaths (morti) and marriages (matrimoni).
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... di++Alia++

the records are in Italian, but you can copy/scan them and post them here at the forum and someone will help you translate.

You will need to go to the Center to order and view films (small fee per month for rental). For the nearest center, enter your zip code.
www.familysearch.org

T.

svick

Postby svick » 14 Sep 2010, 17:55

Thanks for all the tips. I have many the docs you referenced. I have a film waiting for me at my local LDS for Alia. I haven't sent for his death records yet, but I think I will. the better one is his naturalization records. I didn't realize they could contain more valuable information other than what I see on his INS card. This is great!

Thanks for all your help. Will report back when I learn more. This forum has been invaluable for me.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Sep 2010, 19:29

Glad to help :-D

Looking forward to hearing what you've found...

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”