Vincenzo Messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Vincenzo Messina

Postby tonij16102 » 16 Sep 2010, 20:35

I have been here asking abt my great-grandfather before and was lucky enough to have had the questions answered, and am hoping the same now. Vincenzo was killed in Hillsville, Pennsylvania August 04,1904. I was lucky enough to find a Inquest and some articles abt him being killed at the quarry that he worked. Here is the problem I am having I can't find a death certificate for him. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks Toni

sannicae

Re: Vincenzo Messina

Postby sannicae » 19 Sep 2010, 02:58

tonij16102 wrote:I have been here asking abt my great-grandfather before and was lucky enough to have had the questions answered, and am hoping the same now. Vincenzo was killed in Hillsville, Pennsylvania August 04,1904. I was lucky enough to find a Inquest and some articles abt him being killed at the quarry that he worked. Here is the problem I am having I can't find a death certificate for him. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks Toni
Hi,

It looks like a small town on the border of Ohio/PA.

I'd do the standard stuff like look in state archives, then town halls, courts in that area. Actually, I know a lady from Pittsburg who is really good at genealogy and helped me a bit. If you want, I can maybe put you in touch with her. I met her at a Massachusetts Bureau of Vital Records and Statistics.

I guess the one twist for you may be that his death cert could be in Ohio, since its so close to the border. Maybe he lived there.

Hope that helped somewhat.

Ciao

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 19 Sep 2010, 15:58

Have you written to the county seat?

This info from Pennsylvania Vital Records website:

Event: Death

Dates: From January 1906

Cost of copy: $3.00

Comments: Access to death records in Pennsylvania is restricted to family members and legal representatives. With your request, include as much as you can of the following: the name on the death record being requested, date of death, place of death (city or county), your relationship to the person whose certificate is being requested, your purpose for needing the copy, your daytime telephone number with area code, your handwritten signature and complete return mailing address.
Application for death record

* For earlier records, write to Register of Wills, Orphans Court, in county seat of county where event occurred.

Hillsville is in Lawrence County.

T.

tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tonij16102 » 19 Sep 2010, 16:37

TYVM Tessa but the problem is he passed away before they started keeping Vital Records and I have been to the Courthouse for this. I did find the inquest into his death but wasn't lucky enough to find anything else on him

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 20 Sep 2010, 05:57

You might try writing to his town of birth in Italy. Often after the death of an Italian someone would notify the Italian Consulate who would forward the details back to town of origin.
I found two like this in Italy with more details than you would get on a death certificate.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Return to “Italian Genealogy”