I need help with reading birth records and surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vickig
Rookie
Rookie

I need help with reading birth records and surnames

Postby vickig » 17 Sep 2010, 00:06

I was able to get some birth records from the time my great-grandmother was born in Italy supposedly in 1891. They were really hard to read and very small print even with magnifying glass. I couldn't find her birth cert. Is there something that I may be overlooking say perhaps the surname. Do they use their mothers last name or the father's last name on the birth records?
I only have the film for another 10 days and I spent a good 3 hours looking it over twice.

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: I need help with reading birth records and surnames

Postby maestra36 » 17 Sep 2010, 00:27

She should be listed under her father's last name in the birth records. Did you check the years before 1891 and after 1891? The reason I say this is that my mother's father always celebrated his birth year as 1884, yet he wasn't in the records for that year. I found his record in 1883. So what you know may be off by a year or two. Also, if she was an abandoned child, her record would be in Part II of the records for that year, of if she had been born in some other town. Those records in Part II are normally completely handwritten.

Doesn't your family history center have a machine that magnifies the record? I know there were times when I couldn't get on such a machine and had to use a hand held magnifying glass. I know how difficult that can be.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 17 Sep 2010, 00:27

deleted - duplicate

vickig
Rookie
Rookie

Postby vickig » 17 Sep 2010, 22:03

Thank you.