New infor found...seeking more

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wmarsala
Rookie
Rookie

New infor found...seeking more

Post by wmarsala »

So I just recieved some new documents today and I am looking to find more. The information I came across was my great grandmother's birth certificate that I have been looking for. I have finally discovered her parents names and now I want information on them.

My great grandmother's name is Josephine Vaccaro, she was born Nov. 3, 1906 in what appears to be Roccapalumba, near Palermo. Her Father's name was Nicolo and her mother's name is (and I can't quite read the writing) appears to be Francesca and it Says "Urfo" before her name? I am not quite sure. I will see about uploading the file, I am looking for any information pertaining to these family members if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Other info is that my great grandmother was married to my great grandfather Phillip, Philip or Filipo (Marsala) on March 12, 1927. With witnesses Lena and Paul Marsala and had one son Victor. I know she had a sister named Theresa I believe and a brother Named Sam (I think that was his name). Not sure about any other siblings.

Thanks,
Wes Marsala
pink67
Master
Master

Re: New infor found...seeking more

Post by pink67 »

My great grandmother's name is Josephine Vaccaro, she was born Nov. 3, 1906 in what appears to be Roccapalumba, near Palermo. Her Father's name was Nicolo and her mother's name is (and I can't quite read the writing) appears to be Francesca and it Says "Urfo" before her name? I am not quite sure.
The correct spell is Urso....

Laura :D
wmarsala
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wmarsala »

Oh thanks, i have never heard of a name like that. So would her whole first name be Urso Francesca? Does that sound like a proper name?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Urso is a last name. In this document, the last name is written first and then the first name Francesca
wmarsala
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wmarsala »

So would that indicate that Nicolo and Francesca were not married at the time? Or was it custom to put down the mother's maiden name?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

women in Italy in the records are always under their maiden names, even married in their death records
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

meant to type "married women in their death records are also under their maiden names"
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Urso is a common Sicilian surname. I have seen it in other towns
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

It is assumed the parents were married since both parents are named
wmarsala
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wmarsala »

Great, thanks for the help. Is there any way I can get info on their birth dates, whether or not they had siblings, census info, immigration info etc...