Jacaruso relatives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Jacaruso relatives

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks, Biff, for finding the other thread on the same subject.
Penguini

Post by Penguini »

I did get my hands on a copy of Joseph's naturalization records but there isn't much info on them. The records give his name, his address as 62 Allen Street (the back of the property) in Stratford, CT and that he had previously applied for citizenship but it was denied. The reason listed on the back of the record was "Lack of Knowledge". Joseph was finally granted his citizenship on 5 February 1924. The records were filed in Bridgeport Superior Court. There is no mention of his parents names, his wife, his place of birth, date of birth, the ship he arrived at Ellis Island on, the date that he arrived or any relatives who sponsored him upon arriving in the U.S. I seems like the minimal amount of info allowed.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Is this the Naturalization record you refer to?
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/306/jacarussoindex.jpg

This is only the Index to Petitions File Card, not his "papers".
The card above his with "denied" may not be the back of his card at all...

You can request his Naturalization Papers from NARA
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.
Penguini

Post by Penguini »

Thanks, Tessa for your expertise. Yes, this is what I found. If it's only an index that explains why so little info is filled in. You're right about the card back above possibly not being part of Joseph's Index to Petitions File Card. What made me think that it might be is because on Joseph's WWI draft registration card the box Declarant Alien (#13) is checked as opposed to Non-declarant Alien possibly indicating his intention to become a citizen. I am now having a heck of a time trying to locate the NARA paperwork. When I go to the archives website the oldest date range on the form is 1963-1973. This date range is a required field and since I'm looking for 1924 this is a problem. When I go the United States District Court District of Connecticut website and click on Bridgeport, the site states that anyone searching to verify a naturalization date between 1906 and Oct. 1, 1991 has to go to a FRC (Federal Records Center) because that's where all the naturalization records were transferred to in 1984. I located a local FRC facility in Suitland, MD but when I visited this website there is no mention of naturalization records anywhere at the facility. I am going to try and call tomorrow but usually places like this aren't very helpful over the phone. Have you or anyone else had experience or success dealing with retrieval of naturalization records? :?:
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, I've used the link above to request naturalization papers. I used the petition number, and filled in the online request. The cost was $7.50 and within 2 weeks I received the Declaration of Intent, Certificate of Arrival, and Petition for Naturalization. I did not, however, receive the actual Naturalization Certificate with this request.

There is a wealth of information in the above documents...

On the NARA link above, you must register, but with no cost...

T.
Penguini

Post by Penguini »

Should I try and use the FRC in Suitland, MD or the one in Waltham, MA?. Does it matter which one you request the records from? It seems that CT records would be in MA not MD but when I went on the Waltham, MA site I encountered the same exact problem as with the NARA site in DC. The date range only goes back to 1973. Should I just put in the request for 1973 and in the notes field mention the actual date the naturalization was granted. Is this enough info?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hello, Penguini.

The National Archives is very limited in the naturalization records it holds, especially in regards to naturalizations which took place in state or county courts (as opposed to federal courts). If the dropdown box is only showing dates beginning in 1963, that would be because thos are the only documents held by NARA for the court which you selected in the previous box (sorry, I am working from memory, but you get the idea).

Although it will take a bit longer, your best bet by far is to order the documents from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service - USCIS; they are the official keepers of all Alien and Naturalization records dating from 1906 onwards. Looking at the index card previously linked, the box labelled "Certificate No", unfortunately, is not. Naturalization certificate numbers were 7 digits in length, so this must be the alternate "Volume & Page" number. If you had the actual certificate number, the USCIS search would be both faster and less expensive, but, ah well...

Anyway, you can start here https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov/ with an "Index Search Request". You give the best information you have regarding name, dates, addresses, etc, and USCIS comes back (hopefully) with a list of the files they locate. With that list in hand, you return to this webpage and order a "Record Request with Request Case ID".

The FRC seems to be just an extension of the National Archives, by the way.

PS: Regarding the earlier census images: There is a "Feeley Street" in Stratford, CT, but not a "Peeley". So, it seems clear that Joseph was living at #63 Feeley Street in 1920 and #62(?) in 1930.

Interestingly, 62 Allen Street (from the naturalization index card) is located exactly one block over and behind #63 Feeley Street. I was about to say that I wasn't comfortable that this index card represented your ancestor, but I see now that it probably does. It is even possible that Allen Street is the correct address but that the census enumerator used the home's back door and assumed that the legal address was Feeley. See http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 6&t=h&z=19
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Thanks Carmine :-D

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tessa78 wrote:Thanks Carmine :-D

T.
Happy to be of service. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Penguini

Post by Penguini »

Thanks Carmine for the explanation of how the naturalization recordation and storage process works. Can you tell this is my first experience in this area? It's mindboggling and frustrating at the same time. I will try your suggestion with the USCIS and let you know how it went. The deal with my grandfather, Joseph's, address is this. The front of the house (where the front door and porch is) is located at 75 Feeley Street Stratford, CT but the rear of the house (where the back door and mailbox are located) is 62 Allen Street. In fact on Joseph's WWII registration card which my own father filled out for him (I recognize his handwriting) lists 75 Feeley Street as the "place of residence" (Line #2) and 62 Allen Street as the "mailing address" (Line #3). I always have to check for both addresses since I never know which one might be used. Penguini
Penguini

Post by Penguini »

Keep you fingers crossed. I have requested a Index Search Request through the USCIS - United States Citizenship and Immigration Services - for Joseph Jacaruso following the instructions from "johnnyonthespot". It was pretty straightforward and logical for a change. In fact, I was at the very end of the application and had hit the enter key when Google Chrome crashed so I got to complete the process twice! Nevertheless, I have submitted the application and paid the $20.00 to receive a citation for each viable record on file. Unfortunately, the requests that USCIS are currently processing were received late March, early April 2010 so I have about a six month wait to find out anything. I didn't see any other option in retrieving the records without the correct certificate (file) number. The only number mentioned on the Index to Petitions File Card is #9362 and johnny stated that the certificate number is seven digits so this four digit number could be any combination of volume and page numbers and that could get pretty expensive at $20 a guess. Thank You So Much to the link to USCIS!!!
Penguini

Post by Penguini »

Does anyone know where I might locate a birth certificate/record for my grandmother, Lena (Lyons?) Jacaruso who was born on May 16, 1890 supposedly in Bridgeport, CT? I called up Bridgeport and their records only date back to 1897. Would I go to Hartford?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Penguini wrote:Does anyone know where I might locate a birth certificate/record for my grandmother, Lena (Lyons?) Jacaruso who was born on May 16, 1890 supposedly in Bridgeport, CT? I called up Bridgeport and their records only date back to 1897. Would I go to Hartford?
Perhaps this will help:
[align=center]Vital Records prior to 1897 – Connecticut State Library[/align]

For additional information on pre-1897 vital records, you may also contact the Connecticut State Library’s History and Genealogy Unit at http://www.cslib.org/handg.htm or by telephone at (860) 757-6580. At the state library, you will be able to access the Barbour Collection which includes most Connecticut Vital Records to about 1850. You may also access the collection of Connecticut vital records that have been microfilmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah which includes most Connecticut vital records to about 1900. The vital records microfilmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah may also be accessed at a Genealogical Society of Utah Family History Center. To find locations for a Family History Center near you, you may access http://www.cslib.org/ldsmicro.htm or refer to your local phone book.

http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=31 ... Nav=|46940|
Carmine

Penguini

Post by Penguini »

I thought the Barbour Collection only went to 1850 or so. I have already checked the Family History Center and there is no record of Lena's birth in their records. Any other places I should check?
Penguini

Post by Penguini »

I struck out with the Barbour Collection also.