Surname "Facarazzo"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Surname "Facarazzo"

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I have a surname Facarazzo in my family tree, through marriage to one of my mother's sisters.

A bit curious about this name: there are no Facarazzo's in the Italian telephone directory and just two passenger manifests on ancestry . com - both of them females, one from Bari and the other from nearby Palo del Colle. Both of which tie in with http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... &t=cognomi which shows 1-5 persons in the Bari area.

An extremely rare name, or a corruption of another Italian spelling? Any thoughts?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Surname "Facarazzo"

Post by maestra36 »

I find that if you spell the surname as Focarazzo, you get a lot of hits on virgilio.it
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

It seems there were focarazzi. I can't find what it means, but I see reference to it on some church sites.

"in Basilicata troviamo i “focarazziâ€
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

la vigilia di S. Giuseppe si accendono i 'focarazzi' falo' di fascine di ginestra che i ragazzi vanno 'rubando'.

http://www.gingen.org/tradizioni_popolari_lucane.htm
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Interesting that in both articles, "focarazzi" is in quotes...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

On this page is a video titled "Focarazzi!" and it is just 30 seconds of a seal (?) at a zoo or water park.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Bonfires? http://www.itchefs-gvci.com/index.php?o ... Itemid=300

[quote]
On the other hand, in the south on that evening “firesâ€
Carmine

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Interesting stuff you found about the word "focarazzi," Carmine.

Peg
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

maestra36 wrote:Interesting stuff you found about the word "focarazzi," Carmine.

Peg
Ha! You started it!

I still don't know if this guy's real name was Facarazzo. I have him getting married and divorced in Florida (he had four wives total; my mother's sister died young, two of the others were divorced.

No immigration record; no suitable census records (lived in NY), really not much at all.
Carmine

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Carmine,

One of my many backgrounds happens to be in the field of Linguistics, so I am very interested in the etymology of surnames and how they derived. Just can't help myself. Anyway, sorry the references I found to the word "focarazzi" didn't get you any further in your research of this particular individual. At least you now have an alternate spelling of the last name.

Peg
tmanahan

Post by tmanahan »

My maternal grandmother's maiden name was I think Focarazzo. Her first name was Angela. She married Dominick Cianciaruso. She had 3 sisters and one brother. They were from Palo del Colle, Bari. She and her sisters lived in Queens, NY. Their younger brother Gugliemo died after being run over by a horse and carriage. I hope that helps...maybe we are related. I know they had relatives in MA.
Toni