Looking for the death of Giovanni Mazzei

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DMazzie

Looking for the death of Giovanni Mazzei

Postby DMazzie » 10 Oct 2010, 06:57

Hi,

I know that my ancestor GIOVANNI MAZZEI was born on 1st August 1852 in the hamlet of Colgnora in Pescaglia, Lucca.

He was a Plaster Figure Maker and was the son of Luigi Mazzei and Rosa Lombardi.

On 15th August 1881 he married in Nantes, France to Evarestine Marie Lemen.

On 2nd August 1887, their only child Andrew John Louis Mazzei was born in Havre, France.

They moved to England in 1891 and they are on the 1901 Blackpool Census and the 1911 London Census.

Evarestine died in Holborn, London in 1912.

I have Andrew's naturalisation record from 1925 and it states that his mother is dead - his father is alive and resides in Southampton (Hampshire).

I have searched the death records on freebmd and Ancestry and their are no Giovanni (or John) Mazzei - or variant spellings dying in England and Wales after 1925 (his 74th year).

The trouble is he may have returned to France, or went back to Italy.

Can anybody search the death indexes for Lucca Province from 1925 onwards to find his death? I think that their are 10 yearly death indexes?

Thanks,

Darin, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Looking for the death of Giovanni Mazzei

Postby Tessa78 » 11 Oct 2010, 14:07

DMazzie wrote:

If he returned to Italy and died there, his death would most probably be noted on his birth act.

Why not write for a copy? Usually there is no cost...

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Roma, 2
55064 Pescaglia (LU)
ITALY

T.

DMazzie

Postby DMazzie » 11 Oct 2010, 16:48

Hi,

Thanks for that,

Would that office hold birth records for pre-1865?

I have the Stato di Famiglia for Luigi's family, and it mentions Giovanni's birth and his marriage, but not his death.

It also mentions his sister, Erminia Mazzei born 2.2.1849 but it does not give any marriage or death information for her.

Thanks,

Darin.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 11 Oct 2010, 17:27

Good question, Darin :-)

The LDS film notes say that they have the civil registrations for Pescaglia from 1886-1935...
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/toscan ... gnora.html

However, there is a note that reads...
"After 1851 the province of Lucca was made a part of the region of Toscana. Regional civil registration begins (for Pescaglia) in 1852 and includes 1852-1865. For film numbers see : Toscana (Italia : Regione). Ufficio dello stato civile / Estratti dei registri dello stato civile, 1745-1865."

FYI...
The village of Colognora (there are 3 o's) has a current population of 64!
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/toscan ... gnora.html

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 11 Oct 2010, 17:34

For film numbers see : Toscana (Italia : Regione). Ufficio dello stato civile / Estratti dei registri dello stato civile, 1745-1865.
"

Here are the films for the above...
They are listed alphabetical, male and female, by years, not by town/village...

Click on the "View Film Notes" on the upper right...

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

T.

Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Apples » 10 Nov 2010, 16:59

Hi this is slightly off the point but my great grandfather was also a plaster figure maker from the Lucca region.
There is a really interesting book which you can get through the inter library loan system called Italian Immigrants by Lucio Sponza which has a whole section on Plaster figure makers (figurinai) - here is a taster:-

"They never emigrated on their own but moved in groups of five to seven people under the leadership of a master, who would be the most experienced in the trade. ........................ . These small teams left the Tuscan hills towards the end of winter or in the early spring."

These groups seemed to travel from town to town throughout europe /**SPAM** their figurines. So Giovanni was probably travelling through France on his way to Britain. I found my great grandfather Samueli Roberti with other figure makers in Doncaster in 1861 before he settled down to marry in Swansea in 1862 so they certainly managed to get around!

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 22 Nov 2010, 09:19

DMazzie wrote:Hi,

I know that my ancestor GIOVANNI MAZZEI was born on 1st August 1852 in the hamlet of Colgnora in Pescaglia, Lucca.

He was a Plaster Figure Maker and was the son of Luigi Mazzei and Rosa Lombardi.

On 15th August 1881 he married in Nantes, France to Evarestine Marie Lemen.

On 2nd August 1887, their only child Andrew John Louis Mazzei was born in Havre, France.

They moved to England in 1891 and they are on the 1901 Blackpool Census and the 1911 London Census.

Evarestine died in Holborn, London in 1912.

I have Andrew's naturalisation record from 1925 and it states that his mother is dead - his father is alive and resides in Southampton (Hampshire).

I have searched the death records on freebmd and Ancestry and their are no Giovanni (or John) Mazzei - or variant spellings dying in England and Wales after 1925 (his 74th year).

Can anybody search the death indexes for Lucca Province from 1925 onwards to find his death? I think that their are 10 yearly death indexes?

Thanks,

Darin, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.

Hello Darin,
The closest match i can find is:

John Mazey died 1939 age 85 (birth 1854) in Bridgend, Wales.

What do you think, being alot of spellings are incorrect?

Jamie Capaldi
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 22 Nov 2010, 09:32

Sorry, Ignore that!
I just found:

John Mazey born Cardiff 1854
John Mazey born Bridgend 1855!

Your right, it doesn't look like he is in England, Wales or Scotland.

Sorry i could not be of any more help.

Jamie Capaldi
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

Return to “Italian Genealogy”