Need help finding Ospedale, Palermo, Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
1vinnie
Rookie
Rookie

Need help finding Ospedale, Palermo, Palermo

Postby 1vinnie » 13 Oct 2010, 15:46

Palermo, Palermo, Italy is the index i have been searching. I have come across various locations of where the record was recorded labeled osped or ospedale. I know it means hospital but I can't find any films at the LDS FHC labeled with Ospedale. Of course all the other courthouses are the like Molo and Santa Ninfa, but no sign of how I wouod find hospital records.

Any ideas?

nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Need help finding Ospedale, Palermo, Palermo

Postby nazca » 14 Oct 2010, 07:28

Hi,
Ospedale was the most important hospital in Palermo from 1432 to 1853. It was builded on 1330 by Matteo Sclafani, a duke, for himself. when he died "Sclafani Palace" was abandoned and only in 1432 was transformed in an hospital. After 1853 "scalfani Palace" was tranformed in a barrack. It is in the same square of "Palazzo Reale" . the area close the "Sclafani Palace" was named Ospedale but the courthouse (mandamento) is "Palazzo Reale" or "Santa Cristina". Take a look to : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_Sclafani or search "palazzo sclafani palermo" on google maps to view the palace.

Have a nice day.

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

defilip1
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need help finding Ospedale, Palermo, Palermo

Postby defilip1 » 17 May 2011, 14:28

Hi,

You may the following link of interest. It has a nice write-up for the Ospedale Grande e Nuovo (big and new) for Palermo. There are also links for other "Ospedale", hospitals, in Sicily. Best of luck. It is in Italian, but you can use "Google Translate" to get a good idea of what it says. Louis

http://www3.unict.it/aos/Province/Palermo/palermo.htm

Return to “Italian Genealogy”