Listi to Lester - help!!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Listi to Lester - help!!!

Postby tlisti » 19 Oct 2010, 04:30

My GGF came to New Orleans as Filippo Listi in 1888. His wife came as M. Rosa Spinella. They were married in Corleone, Italy...and I have copy of marriage cert. They came with their 9 mo old baby, Augustino Spinella.

They lived in Louisiana, then Bryan, TX, then Dibol, Tx, then on to Houston, Tx, where he shows up on the 1900-1930 census as Philip Lester, Rosa Lester, and Augustino Lester (along with other Lester children, one of which was my GF). I can find no other paperwork or info. on the name change.

He died in Houston, Texas (1940) as Philip Lester (I have the picture and obituary). His surviving wife, Rosa, then completed an alien registration in the name of Rosie Marie Listi, and I also have a copy of an insurance contract in the name of Mrs. Felippo Listi (1940). The obituary shows the same address as the one on Rosie's alien receipt.

What can I do to clean this up, and show that Filippo Listi and Philip Lester were the same people? Help!

oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Listi to Lester - help!!!

Postby oilman19 » 19 Oct 2010, 09:09

It sure sounds like your grandfather did not wish for his name to sound Italian. Life was pretty difficult for Italians in many areas during that time. Many people felt if their name did not sound Italian, they could make greater gains.
Why do you wish to "clean this up"? Unless you may be applying for a dual citizenship, the name changes are simply a part of your genealogical heritage. It seems you have found sufficient info to prove who your gggrandparents were.

For many of us, name changes are just a way of life in our pursuit of our ancestral history.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 Oct 2010, 10:29

tlisti wrote:ow that Filippo Listi and Philip Lester were the same people? Help!

You want to continue pursuing those naturalization papers (your other thread). If he naturalized in his later years (as has been suggested), then his naturalization documents will almost certainly reference both names: the name he was using at the time of naturalization and the name under which he entered the United States along with travel details (date of arrival, name of ship).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 19 Oct 2010, 13:11

I'm sorry. I hadn't seen your other thread.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 19 Oct 2010, 13:27

unfortunately on death record no parent's names and no italian birthplace, otherwise it was a good input for to demonstrate( by birth certificate of Filippo) that Philip Lester and Filippo Listi was the same person:
Name: Philip Lester
Death Date: 31 Mar 1940
Death Place: Houston, Harris, Texas
Race: White
Death Age: 81 years 9 months 2 days
Estimated Birth Date:
Birth Date: 29 Jun 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Place of Residence: Houston, Harris, Texas
Cemetery: St. Joseph's Cemetery
Burial Place: Houston, Texas
Burial Date: 02 Apr 1940
Additional Relatives: X
Film Number: 2138202
Digital Film Number: 4030503
Image Number: 1437
Reference Number: cn 70307
Collection: Texas Deaths, 1890-1976
so the better way is to follow johnnyonthespot advice... regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 19 Oct 2010, 13:35

You can amend the death record, using, as a proof, an international formato of hib birth certificate from Corleone, or from where he was born.
For sure, to amend the death record, you need to follow the rules of the state where the death occurred.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

tlisti wrote:My GGF came to New Orleans as Filippo Listi in 1888. His wife came as M. Rosa Spinella. They were married in Corleone, Italy...and I have copy of marriage cert. They came with their 9 mo old baby, Augustino Spinella.

They lived in Louisiana, then Bryan, TX, then Dibol, Tx, then on to Houston, Tx, where he shows up on the 1900-1930 census as Philip Lester, Rosa Lester, and Augustino Lester (along with other Lester children, one of which was my GF). I can find no other paperwork or info. on the name change.

He died in Houston, Texas (1940) as Philip Lester (I have the picture and obituary). His surviving wife, Rosa, then completed an alien registration in the name of Rosie Marie Listi, and I also have a copy of an insurance contract in the name of Mrs. Felippo Listi (1940). The obituary shows the same address as the one on Rosie's alien receipt.

What can I do to clean this up, and show that Filippo Listi and Philip Lester were the same people? Help!

tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tlisti » 19 Oct 2010, 14:04

Yes, that is the correct death record..., and yes, I want to apply for dual citizenship, which is why I want to show that Filippo and Philip were the same person. I have all birth certificates (Filippo and Rosa) from Italy, and their marriage license. I have found the ship manifest (Utopia, Oct. 17, 1888) where they entered the US at New Orleans. Since the 1890 census isn't available, I have no additional records until 1900 census, where he shows up as Philip Lester (1910 Philip Laster, 1930 Philip Last).

I also have her original alien registration receipt (Rosie Marie Listi), and an insurance policy (Mrs. Felipe Listi - which is why I keep spelling his name incorrectly - I've seen it spelled so many ways in this search). I'm concerned that, since she completed alien registration, he never really naturalized.

I probably need to find birth records of his children Carmela (Mary) born in Louisiana in 1892, Lucy, Lena, Sarah and Johnny - who were then born in Bryan and Dibol, respectively. I have a birth certificate for my GF, Sam Philip Lester, born in Houston to Philip Lester and Rosa Spinella (this birth certificate shows my GGF born in Sicily, Italy). I would post the birth certificate, but I don't know how. I have ordered index info. for both his naturalization and her alien registration to see if I can find more. Anything else you can suggest? Thanks for the help!

tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Postby tlisti » 19 Oct 2010, 14:49

Amending the death certificate? Thanks, that's a good suggestion! It makes sense, since he was never really Philip Lester. I'm meeting with all the older women in my family (80yrs.+) this Friday, all of whom I have never met before. They are bringing all documents they have, and I think they will support my endeavor, in the event I need additional proof to amend documents...

This is really all so bittersweet...proving all the stories I've heard all my life as true...yet finding out that my last name was really Listi instead of Lester (I was never really part of the Houston Italian community because my last name was Lester - and I didn't know why... till now). It's really exciting! Thanks for your help!

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 19 Oct 2010, 15:40

it was my pleasure
bye Riccardo

Return to “Italian Genealogy”