Fumarola from Martina Franca.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Fumarola from Martina Franca.

Postby jpetrelli » 21 Oct 2010, 22:12

I was hoping for assistance identifying more information about my GGM, Domenica Fumarola.

What I know about her is that:
-She was born ~1885
-She married Orazio Petrelli, I believe in Italy ~1908.
-She immigrated to the US (Rochester, NY) in July 1913.
      -Passenger Manifest, Pg 1
      -Passenger Manifest, Pg 2
-Her father and brother were named "Michele".
-I have found the readily identifiable Census and other material through Ancestry.com, etc. but cannot link it back any further.

Complicating this search, Fumarola seems to be a common Surname from Martina Franca. However, I do not know just how common the name is and so cannot determine if any of the "Fumarola" leads I have uncovered are credible and worth pursuing.

The Passenger Manifest I provided links to above also prompt a question perhaps others can shed some light on as well... Assuming she was married prior to this trip in 1913, which Census records corroborate and with the Manifest referring to her husband, why did she travel as "Fumarola" and not "Petrelli"? Would there be any significance in her not having taken her husband's name then, when she did later? Curious if there is any significance and if it might help with my search.

Thank you.
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)

jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Fumarola from Martina Franca.

Postby jpetrelli » 21 Oct 2010, 22:20

Also, the Family Search/LDS does not appear to have microfilm records for this area of Italy. Does anyone know if these records are included in the records for a surrounding city or if they have just not been filmed? Does anyone know how to access records from Martina Franca, having only limited details about the individual?
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 21 Oct 2010, 22:23

Traditionally, Italian women did not take their husband's names. In my own research, I have found that it was common for Italian women to use their husband's name in the US and their own (maiden) name in Italy, so for those that traveled back and forth (and there are a lot who did) between the two countries, there are multiple records scanning several decades of these women using both names.

EDIT: Note the couple on lines 10 & 11...and how the wife is traveling under her own name.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 21 Oct 2010, 22:39

Also, the Family Search/LDS does not appear to have microfilm records for this area of Italy. Does anyone know if these records are included in the records for a surrounding city or if they have just not been filmed? Does anyone know how to access records from Martina Franca, having only limited details about the individual?

The civil records for Martina Franca (formerly known as Martina) have been filmed but they only run through 1861. Therefore your connection (1885, I believe) postdates the films. You would have to write to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile for Martina Franca. In addition, the surname Fumarola is found throughout Puglia, as well as other parts of Italy in lesser numbers. Do you have any reason to believe that she originated in Martina Franca?
John Armellino

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 21 Oct 2010, 22:43

John, the passenger list posted gives the "last place of residence" as Martina Franca and also says she leaves her father, Michele, there.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 29 Dec 2011, 06:42

John, the passenger list posted gives the "last place of residence" as Martina Franca and also says she leaves her father, Michele, there.

In addition, Martina Franca has the greatest concentration of Fumarolas in Puglia and the surname Petrilli is also found in Martina. Finally, Page 2 of the Manifest lists her place of birth as Martina. That would seem to clinch it. Martina Franca appears to be the town of origin.

Last bumped by jpetrelli on 29 Dec 2011, 06:42.
John Armellino

Return to “Italian Genealogy”