Getting death records from California

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Getting death records from California

Postby DeFilippis78 » 25 Oct 2010, 14:11

I want copies of some death records for some ancestors from california. I dont need it for the consulate, just for my own personal genealogy. And from what I read on a website a few weeks ago, its VERY strict. Maybe I was looking in the wrong spot. It seems you cant get just a genealogical record. Its only certified copy and its very limited as to who can get it. I was under the impression as a G grand daughter I cant obtain anything. Anyone familiar with California and its laws?

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Getting death records from California

Postby DeFilippis78 » 25 Oct 2010, 22:00

Anybody?

carla370
Rookie
Rookie

Postby carla370 » 26 Oct 2010, 23:19

I may be able to get some information for you. If you PM the name(s) to me and their approximate dates of Death I will have a look to see what is available

Carla

sarah2710

Postby sarah2710 » 27 Oct 2010, 19:48

Hello,
Several years ago I obtained without trouble my great grandmother's death certificate from California. I just sent a request with the money and the certificate was sent back to me. It seems the rules have changed in the meantime, but I think it should still be possible for you.

Even if they won't give you an "authorized" copy (but they should, as you are a (great) granddaughter) then they will issue you an "informational copy," as explained here:

[color=darkblue]"If you cannot obtain an authorized copy under California law, you can obtain an informational copy. An informational copy contains the same information as an authorized copy, but will have a legend across the face with the statement "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY." Authorized and informational copies are both “certified copies.â€

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 27 Oct 2010, 19:58

Thanks for the link! Ill check it out right away!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”