The dilemma of proper citation in the internet age

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

The dilemma of proper citation in the internet age

Postby aliza24 » 26 Oct 2010, 17:25

Ciao Tutti:

I was hoping we could share our thoughts on the topic of recording place names in particular in the world of the internet.

As a genealogist, this is something that's been on my mind for a while. I'm curious to hear what all of you think about it.

Most genealogists will tell you to record information just as it's found in the record, right? And certainly if a name changes spelling or something that should be recorded as found.

But what about place name changes? Lots of places in Italy changed names- some more than once. And can any of us honestly say that if we post a query on a message board we say "I'm looking for X surname from the "Kingdom of Two Sicilies?" The area may have been called that then, but now we would just say "Italy", right? After all, no one is googling their great grandfather in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies!

So here's the real question: What about our online trees? How should we record the place there? People may be searching our online trees to see if there's a connection- but they certainly aren't searching for the Kingdom of Two Sicilies there either. If the place is recorded "as found" it won't show up as a match in the search results.

Therein lies the dilemma. Be a stickler for the rules and record everything 'as is' no matter what; or enter them in a way that makes the most sense for the age that we live in? Valid arguments can be made either way.

I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions on this. How do you record old place names?

Aliza

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: The dilemma of proper citation in the internet age

Postby jamiecapaldi » 26 Oct 2010, 18:43

I found my ggreat grandfathers birth certificate under 'San Germano' 1861. It's name then changed to Cassino after 1864ish. When i first found the record, i recorded the name 'san germano', but then thought about everyone who would try to match or search the same, and named it to Cassino.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Postby aliza24 » 26 Oct 2010, 19:06

I've had some of the same problems. Sometimes it's a tough call. I'll usually put a note in my tree if I update anything so that way I have both things recorded.

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 26 Oct 2010, 20:04

Good idea!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Postby aliza24 » 27 Oct 2010, 15:00

There's the same problem with provinces. The province of Caserta was once called Terrra di Lavoro. But here again, how many people are searching for Terra di Lavoro?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”