Munisteri Pino from Racalmuto, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
yankees7011

Munisteri Pino from Racalmuto, Sicily

Postby yankees7011 » 26 Oct 2010, 18:38

Hello,

I am rather new here. I just stumbled upon this site. I am in the process of getting my dual citizenship, here in Italy. I was wondering if anyone on here has heard of my families surname. It is Munisteri Pino from Ralcalmuto, Sicily. I did find some people on facebook. The person I hired to help me get my citizenship says that the name is rather rare and it is very likely I am related to those people on facebook. But I contacted them, and their English is not that good and I speak no Italian. I will travel to Sicily defiantly next year. From speaking to other relatives, my Great Grandfather, who was born in Racalmuto had like 7 or 8 siblings and 1 sister, so it is quite possible not all of them immigrated to the USA. Any help if you have heard of the surname would be great, thanks :)

Ciao!

Nick

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Munisteri Pino from Racalmuto, Sicily

Postby suanj » 04 Feb 2012, 04:52

Hi the right spelling is Munisteri Pinò ( with accent);
here the rilevance (%) of this surname in Racalmuto:
5.77 Racalmuto Ag Munisteri Pinò

here other spellings:
17.31 Racalmuto Ag Munisteri Pinò Pinò
5.77 Racalmuto Ag Alessi Munisteri

several peoples with Munisteri Pinò emigrated in USA...
hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 04 Feb 2012, 09:02

suanj wrote:Hi the right spelling is Munisteri Pinò ( with accent);
here the rilevance (%) of this surname in Racalmuto:
5.77 Racalmuto Ag Munisteri Pinò

here other spellings:
17.31 Racalmuto Ag Munisteri Pinò Pinò
5.77 Racalmuto Ag Alessi Munisteri

several peoples with Munisteri Pinò emigrated in USA...
hoping helpful,
suanj

That is strange..:
I no replied today or yesterday at this topic... :?
sab feb 04, 2012 1:52 pm ????
I replied in 2010..
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

rpino

Postby rpino » 12 Dec 2013, 20:17

I know some time has elapsed since these posts. My grandfather Salvatore Munisteri Pino was born in Racalmuto around 1888. He emigrated to the US between 1905 & 1910. He eventually graduated from NYU Law School and was the editor of Il Progresso in New York for many years. A dispute has arisen in our family concerning the pronunciation of our last name. Some say it should be pronounced like the French Pin-o and others the Italian version-Peno. I noted that in an earlier post suanj suggested that the name should really be PinA with an accent. I would appreciate some guidance and whether any one knows if the name indicates the origin of the family. If there are any Pinos from Racalmuto I would like to here from them. I visited the town a couple of years ago but did not have the courage to look up any possible relatives.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 16 Dec 2013, 19:26

rpino wrote:I know some time has elapsed since these posts. My grandfather Salvatore Munisteri Pino was born in Racalmuto around 1888. He emigrated to the US between 1905 & 1910. He eventually graduated from NYU Law School and was the editor of Il Progresso in New York for many years. A dispute has arisen in our family concerning the pronunciation of our last name. Some say it should be pronounced like the French Pin-o and others the Italian version-Peno. I noted that in an earlier post suanj suggested that the name should really be PinA with an accent. I would appreciate some guidance and whether any one knows if the name indicates the origin of the family. If there are any Pinos from Racalmuto I would like to here from them. I visited the town a couple of years ago but did not have the courage to look up any possible relatives.

I looked for Salvatore Munisteri Pino born around 1888 in Racalmuto didn't see him in the indexes of birth but I did see a Salvatore Munisteri Pino born 1888 in Naro a comune in the province of Agrigento are you sure you have the right birth town?

INDEX#241
1888 June 26th in the town of Naro birth of Salvatore Munisteri Pino son of Salvatore Munisteri Pino age 30 sulfur miner and Calogera Rizzo

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Salvatore M Pino who worked at Il Progresso in New York born in Naro I think this is him.

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 16 Dec 2013, 20:55

great find Marty!!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 16 Dec 2013, 21:04

A warm Christmas hug to you Suanj!!

HO HO HO!!
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 16 Dec 2013, 21:18

Merry Christmas Marty!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

crboris

Postby crboris » 13 Sep 2015, 05:26

Hello! My name is Chris Becker and I also stumbled upon this site. Lately I have been using Ancestry.com and I have to say there are so many Salvatore's it gets confusing! My Grandfather was Carmine M. Pino and he also worked at the Il Progresso. He lived in Fort Lee NJ for some time after moving there from Brooklyn. He was married to Olga Aversa and they had two kids, Robert and Diane. Robert is a retired Dr. still living in Fort Lee and Diane is my mom. She's in Florida (big surprise). Its a pleasure to "meet" you!

crboris

Postby crboris » 13 Sep 2015, 05:30

Oh, and Agrigento is correct. The pronunciation is tricky because Pinos were originally from France (way, way back). They were tradesmen and eventually made their way down the boot and to Sicily. Check out Domenico Pino in Wikipedia. He's related to you...

rpino

Postby rpino » 29 Sep 2015, 18:59

I am sorry but I have not checked this site in a while. My grandfather Salvatore was born in 1888 and we thought he was born in Racalmuto. You have now cleared that up with the birth record in Naro.

Chris: I knew your grandfather Carmine and Olga as he was the youngest in the family and I think he was born in the US after my Grandfather (I Think he would be your great uncle) brought over his father and mother to the house in Brooklyn. I also met Richard and your mother years ago at Family outings/funerals etc. I think they will remember me. I go by Vic. I am the first son of Rudolph Pino and Joan. He was the third and youngest son of Salvatore M. Pino and was a dentist. I grew up in North eastern connecticut
but now have a law firm in White Plains New York. My email is rpino@pinolaw.com.
As indicated I visited Sicily a couple of years ago and stopped in Racalmuto. I am still trying to get to the bottom of the pronunciation of our name and whether we are truly descendants of the Normans. Great to get in touch with you. Where in Florida is your mother??? I have a place in Florida as well.

rmpino

Postby rmpino » 08 Jan 2016, 22:28

Hi Everyone,
I just found this site. My father was Mario M. Pino, the brother of Salvatore and Rudolph. I last spoke to our cousin Jim and his sister Judy shortly after Uncle Sal died. Vic, your father was my godfather. I have been living in the Boston area for almost 25 years.
Attached is a picture my mother (almost 90 years old, living in Fl) sent me. It has our grandparents, parents, Jim, Judy, Adrian, and me. It has been a long time but I still remember the early years. My email is rpino@mgh.harvard.edu. Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”