Looking for information about my maternal grandmother

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
annapali

Looking for information about my maternal grandmother

Postby annapali » 27 Oct 2010, 19:54

My grandmother gave birth to my mother in Santissima Annunziata napoli orphanage where she was subsequently left by her mother. My mothers birth certificate shows Nunziata Caprio born 10th April 1935. The story goes that a few days after birth she was taken in by Teresa and Alfonzo Angora who lived and ran a cafe in Striano Napoli, however my mother was never given the Angora name. She lived with this family until she married my father Enrico Ciro Russo late 1950s. They then both but at different times migrated to Brisbane Australia,father 1958/9, mother 1961/2. I believe there is information at Communo de Napoli but for whatever reason not able to access info. I think my grandmother went on to marry and had other children, but not sure. I hope you can help, it would be wonderful to know something about my maternal roots and for my mothers life long search. Do you know what the freedom of information laws are in Italy in regards to adoption/foster children accessing information. Thanks again. Anna

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Looking for information about my maternal grandmother

Postby Italysearcher » 28 Oct 2010, 12:31

Most foundlings were not formally adopted and therefore never changed their name. In those times formula was not available and babies were 'farmed' out to women who could breastfeed them often because their own child had died at or shortly after birth. They were paid for this service. Many of these children remained with the foster family, others moved on when they were old enough to work.
When you request the birth record from Naples, be sure to use her birth name and indicate that she was 'genitori ignoti' as sometimes these records were kept separately.
Since this falls within the privacy area, you need to include your photo ID and indicate your relationship. If she is still alive she should do the request. If you wnat to know the story you need to request a 'fotocopia' dell'originale'
joeusa@tin.it might be able to advise you better.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

annapali

Postby annapali » 28 Oct 2010, 19:34

Italysearcher wrote:Most foundlings were not formally adopted and therefore never changed their name. In those times formula was not available and babies were 'farmed' out to women who could breastfeed them often because their own child had died at or shortly after birth. They were paid for this service. Many of these children remained with the foster family, others moved on when they were old enough to work.
When you request the birth record from Naples, be sure to use her birth name and indicate that she was 'genitori ignoti' as sometimes these records were kept separately.
Since this falls within the privacy area, you need to include your photo ID and indicate your relationship. If she is still alive she should do the request. If you wnat to know the story you need to request a 'fotocopia' dell'originale'
joeusa@tin.it might be able to advise you better.
Thankyou so much for your quick reply. What I didnt state in my initial enquiry was that my mother went to the communo in person about 20years ago and was told they couldnt give her the information because of the privacy, have the laws changed since then? My mother is now in the early stages of demetia, so should I try again via post as you mentioned or is there another way past the privacy act if its still in place? Would you have an address for birth records in Naples? Thanks again.
Anna

annapali

Postby annapali » 04 Nov 2010, 02:37

I have written to the email address that you suggested above, but no reply? Could you also clarify the above questions and any other in roads to this frustrating situation/decision that was put in place 75years ago. Your help would be much appreciated.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”