Piazza Genealogy Page

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Piazza Genealogy Page

Postby piazza16428 » 01 Nov 2010, 16:25

Just wanted to invite any Piazza Family members out there to join our site at http://piazzafamiglia.tribalpages.com.
We have been working very hard at linking the Piazza families from the New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania areas and at last count we had 659 names on our family tree starting with Gerolamo and Teresa (Lodoto) Piazza.
If you would like to become a member of the site please let us know through the invite tab located at the above site.

Thanks and have a great day
Sam Piazza 8O

Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: Piazza Genealogy Page

Postby Romano1970 » 21 Nov 2010, 17:44

I have a Marianna Piazza from Piazza Armerina in my family tree.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Postby piazza16428 » 22 Nov 2010, 14:03

It sounds like that you are a little further back than me, but I did get a message from a user on this site who indicated the following information, and it leads me to believe that we may have common ancestors. Vallelunga was founded in XVIII century and the first families came from the nearest villages and towns (expecially from the Madonie area and from Mussomeli). According to what Giuseppe Cipolla who compiled the book 'Le Famiglie di Vallelunga', "In Vallelunga there were 3 different families with the surname Piazza and he doesn`t indicate a common ancestor".

I also had a question regarding the use of Di-Piazza used on some of the records I was researching and I got a response of "In that time it was very usual to use "Di" (= of, from) for a toponymic surname. In fact your surname (Piazza) indicates the geographic origin of your family. Piazza, nowdays Piazza Armerina, is a very ancient Comune in province of Enna, Sicily". So this makes me believe that we may have a name in common. How far have you researched back?

Thanks again for any information that you can share.

Sam

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 11 Jan 2011, 20:42

Hi, my family comes from Piazza Armerina. The Armerina was added later on, I believe after the town was moved after a devastating earthquake in the 16th century. I am not sure if I have the correct dates I don't have my notes in front of me. My cousins wife is a Piazza and when I was in Sicily, I met so many people with the last name of Piazza. It is like saying Smith in America :)

piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Postby piazza16428 » 11 Jan 2011, 20:46

Yea that is pretty common and I hear that alot. In fact I have gotten as far back as 1758 to the village of Vallelunga Pratameno, Caltanissetta and a researcher has indicated that there were several Piazza families that originated in this area and they had no common ancestor.

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 11 Jan 2011, 20:49

My grandmother's last name was Giunta and that is common in Sicily also. I was told it was because there was a Tribe called Giunta.

I believe if you keep going back, you may eventually find a common ancestor :) And let me know, I love to hear stories like this. Have you been to the area yet? It is amazing!!!

piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Postby piazza16428 » 11 Jan 2011, 20:56

I have been to Italy a few times but have never been to Sicily. I am hoping to go next year. Oh you can check out the family tree we have created at www.piazzafamiglia.tribalpages.com also our family site at www.piazzafamiglia.com . Great to talk to you

carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Postby carmine1917 » 11 Jan 2011, 21:04

I hope to go back this summer, it truly is a wonderful island. I like your webpage.

piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Postby piazza16428 » 11 Jan 2011, 21:06

Thanks, working hard on it and it seems to take so much time, but a labor of love for sure.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”