Orazio Petrelli - Bolognano, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Orazio Petrelli - Bolognano, Italy

Postby jpetrelli » 01 Nov 2010, 18:38

I was hoping for some assistance in further researching my GGF, Orazio Petrelli.

What I know about Orazio:
    -He was born on November 07, 1883.
    -He was born in Bolognano, Pescara, Abruzzo, Italy.
    -He arrived in the US on May 04, 1910 and settled in Rochester, NY.
        *Passenger List Manifest, Pg. 1
        *Passenger List Manifest, Pg. 2
    -He married Domenica Fumarola in 1908 in Italy.
    -According to the 1930 census, he was Naturalized, but I have not been able to locate these records.
    -I have identified at least 2 additional trips back and forth between the US and Italy.

[hr]
Specific questions:
      1. Does anyone know where I can access Birth Records for Bolognano, Italy? I cannot identify microfilm resources for that area and I am not certain what larger nearby city may contain these records.

Regarding the Passenger List Manifest that I found.
      2. His Surname is listed as “Petrilliâ€
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Orazio Petrelli - Bolognano, Italy

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Nov 2010, 19:14

1) The FHL has films covering the period 1809 - 1865 ( http://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhl ... +Bolognano &columns=*,0,0 ). This 1865 cutoff seems common for many parts of Italy. You always have the option of contacting Bolognano directly. Write (in Italian) to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Bolognano
Viale dei Colli, 24
65020 Bolognano PE
ITALY

You can find sample letters here:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... grale.html

2) In the entire region of Pescara today, teh Italian telephone directly lists five Petrelli's and 18 Pitrelli's. Either is possible. http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... elli&dv=pe

3) Possibly "Wife Carmela"

4) Wow, that's a tough one...

Regarding naturalization: I am surprised to not see a certificate of arrival notation on the manifest. If you look at the first name on the previous page of the same sailing, you will see some numbers written above and to the right of the "Calling or Occupation". Anytime after 1912, when a person applied for US citizenship, he had to demonstrate that he entered the country legaly; this normally entailed a search of passenger manifests and notations such as the example were made.

You can contact the National Archives (faster; less expensive) or USCIS and request a search of naturalization records. See an earlier post of mine in this thread for details: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 19019.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Nov 2010, 19:30

The lack of C of A notation on the 1910 manifest may be an indication that there is a second manifest at a later date. Many of our ancestors came to the US then returned to Italy after one or two years only to return again to the US with family in tow.

Is that your Family Tree posted on Ancestry . com? There is a lot of info there, including what appears to be a 1912 manifest...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Nov 2010, 19:37

Looking again, I don't think your 1910 manifest is the correct one; the 1912 manifest of Orazio Petrilli defintely gives his wife's name as Domenica Fumarola. However, place of birth appears to be Martina Franca, of which there are two:

Comune di Martina Franca, Provincia di Taranto, Regione di Puglia

Comune di Martina Franca, Provincia di Bari, Regione di Puglia
Carmine

jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jpetrelli » 01 Nov 2010, 20:00

Carmine,

Thank you for looking into this with me.

[hr]
I will investigate further your thoughts about the Certificate of Arrival. I have multiple Passenger Manifests for Orazio, so perhaps one of those has that information.

His 1947 Passenger Manifest references his Passport Number, but I have not been able to figure out how to use that # to find more information.

[hr]
I was never positive about the Passenger Manifests, but thought the 1910 one looked correct, as the 1930 Census listed his immigration as in 1910. Strangely, I've not yet found the 1920 Census for any information it might offer.

That being said, his wife, Domenica and his son, Natalli, were born in Martina Franca. Although, prior to your information, I was not aware that there were two possible Martina Francas. I had presumed the town closer to Taranto up to this point. [Upon further review, the 1912 Passenger Manifest refers to his wife Domenica and Martina Franca, Taranto, Italy.]

[hr]
Yes, that is my tree on Ancestry. I am currently uploading the latest version of my material. Doubt there are any changes of significance, but I need to update the online material periodically anyway.

[hr]
Also, I forgot to mention that Orazio's father's name was "Natale". Perhaps a helpful piece of information.
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 01 Nov 2010, 20:04

Me too are positive abt your thought Carmine; in the ship's manifest of 1910 , Orazio declared already in USA from 1904 to 1909; instead in 1912 ship's manifest, he never in USA before; also the discrepancies abt wife first name, and abt the birthplace let us think, that most probably, they are two different persons..
In Martina Franca the similar surnames are: Petrelli and Petrella
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jpetrelli » 01 Nov 2010, 22:59

Carmine and Suanj,

I see your points and agree that the 1910 Passenger Manifest is not for my GGF. I never really looked at Column 17, "Whether if ever before in the US". Although, it is a strange coincidence that the 1910 Orazio appeared to be heading to Rochester, NY as well.

I now believe my GGF immigrated on June 6, 1912, as recorded in this Passenger Manifest (Page 1 and Page 2).

This suggests his place of birth was Martina Franca, which is also where his wife and eldest son were born. With this information, I should be able to retrieve their Birth and Wedding Records (if the 1908 reference in the 1930 Census is accurate). However, the LDS Microfilms for Martina Franca do not cover the desired birth or marriage years. Any suggestions for other means to access this information?
[hr]
suanj wrote:In Martina Franca the similar surnames are: Petrelli and Petrella
suanj

Suanj,
How did you determine this information? Did you perform a search similar to this?

[hr]
What about any other ideas for how to further pursue information about Orazio?

Thank you greatly for your help so far.

Joe
Researching Surnames:

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 02 Nov 2010, 03:49

jpetrelli wrote:Carmine and Suanj,

I see your points and agree that the 1910 Passenger Manifest is not for my GGF. I never really looked at Column 17, "Whether if ever before in the US". Although, it is a strange coincidence that the 1910 Orazio appeared to be heading to Rochester, NY as well.

I now believe my GGF immigrated on June 6, 1912, as recorded in this Passenger Manifest (Page 1 and Page 2).

This suggests his place of birth was Martina Franca, which is also where his wife and eldest son were born. With this information, I should be able to retrieve their Birth and Wedding Records (if the 1908 reference in the 1930 Census is accurate). However, the LDS Microfilms for Martina Franca do not cover the desired birth or marriage years. Any suggestions for other means to access this information?
[hr]
suanj wrote:In Martina Franca the similar surnames are: Petrelli and Petrella
suanj

Suanj,
How did you determine this information? Did you perform a search similar to this?

[hr]
What about any other ideas for how to further pursue information about Orazio?

Thank you greatly for your help so far.

Joe

Hi Joe,
by this website it are the 10 most popular surnames in Martina Franca, but
if you make the search by surname, needing almost the first 4 letters( Petr) and write Petr in the box, and you mark the "Inizia per" ( Start with/ for) you will have all surnames in Martina Franca starting with "Petr" and you can see that the more similar are: Petrelli and Petrella
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 02 Nov 2010, 03:55

abt the strange coincidence, personally I have experience for italians with same name, but coming from different italian places, immigrated in same USA town, and they was no related... just people with same names and emigrated in same town in USA...
that because some italian surname is very popular, and many towns of USA had a big italian immigration...
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Nov 2010, 10:54

Joe,

Use the information in my previous post to contact the comune and request birth and marriage certificates for both Orazio and Domenica. The contact information for Martina Franca in Taranto is below:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Martina Franca
Piazza Roma, Palazzo Ducale
74015 Martina Franca (TA)
ITALY

Email: anagrstatocivile.comunemartinafranca@pe ... .puglia.it (remove the spaces)

Stato Civile Telephone (from US): 011-39-080-4836236
General Fax Line: 011-39-080-4836399

Web: http://www.comune.martina-franca.ta.it/
Carmine

Return to “Italian Genealogy”