Seeking Information on Grandmother Domenica Maria Vaccaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JTV36

Seeking Information on Grandmother Domenica Maria Vaccaro

Post by JTV36 »

Would appreciate any information on Domenica Maria Vaccaro
Maiden name : Summa
DOB...1896 ???
Avigliano Italy
Estimate left Italy 1913-1916 for Port Chester NY USA to join husband Canio.
Would appreciate any information on date of departure, arrival in USA and most important any family information on Parents and Brothers and sisters..
Many Thanks jtv36
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Seeking Information on Grandmother Domenica Maria Vaccar

Post by johnnyonthespot »

JTV36 wrote:Would appreciate any information on Domenica Maria Vaccaro
Maiden name : Summa
DOB...1896 ???
Avigliano Italy
Estimate left Italy 1913-1916 for Port Chester NY USA to join husband Canio.
Would appreciate any information on date of departure, arrival in USA and most important any family information on Parents and Brothers and sisters..
Many Thanks jtv36
OMG!

I had an uncle who lived in Port Chester, NY/Greenwich, CT - Salvatore Vaccaro. He married my mother's sister, Pasqualina (Pauline) Di Iacovo (De Iacovo, D'Iacova, and so on - lots of variations). He was born in 1919; died 2008. Salvatore and Pasqualina had four children: John, Paula, Canio, and Maria.

Salvatore's parents were Canio (1895-1980) and Domenica Summa. Canio's parent's were Giuseppe and Maria.

I can put you in touch with John (Canio's grandson) if you would like.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Welcome to the forum :D

The (payment) site Ancestry.com has on.line the civil registrations for the town of Avigliano (Potenza Province - Basilicata region)...

This is the image of Canio's birth act:

http://postimage.org/image/25mf6aco4/

Canio Vaccaro was born in Avigliano on 22 july 1894, He was son of Gianbattista Vaccaro, age 32 and of Domenica Maria Paolucci?.

Do you know if these dates are correct for Maria Domenica?

Social Security Death Index about Maria Vaccaro
Name: Maria Vaccaro
SSN:
Last Residence: 10573 Port Chester, Westchester, New York, United States of America
Born: 17 Dec 1895
Died: Oct 1970
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1962

Laura
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Ha! I'll bet I don't have to put you in touch with John, because you are John. Right? :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

For reference, Canio Vaccaro arrived in US April 9, 1912. Line 1 on this manifest:

Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The Family History Library has an excellent selection of microfilms for Avigliano covering the period of interest. I bet it would not take very long to find Canio and Domenica's birth and marriage acts.

http://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhl ... +Avigliano++
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hey, everybody - turns out the original poster is my cousin John. Be nice to him.

John, did your dad have an older sister named Martha? I think hthis is the 1920 census for Canio ("James"), Domenica Maria ("Mary"), Martha, and Salvatore who, at 10/12 of a year or 10 months, would be the correct age for your dad.

Year of immigration for James is given as 1911; close enough to the 1912 manifest I posted earlier. But 1900 for Mary seems wrong; is it possible she was in this country and then returned to Italy where she met/married Canio?

Notice also the Summa family directly above the Vaccaro's on the census and living at the same address, 30 Beech Street. Possibly your grandmother's father or brother?

Click the thumbnail to enlarge then click again for maximum magnification
Carmine

pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

John,

if these records are correct for Canio:

Social Security Death Index about Canio Vaccaro
Name: Canio Vaccaro
SSN:
Last Residence: 10573 Port Chester, Westchester, New York, United States of America
Born: 22 Jul 1894
Died: Aug 1980
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Canico Vaccaro
Name: Canico Vaccaro
County: Westchester
State: New York
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 22 Jul 1894
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1819338
DraftBoard: 6

Then the birth act I found in the civil registrations of the town of Avigliano is correct... :D
This is the image of Canio's birth act:

http://postimage.org/image/25mf6aco4/

Canio Vaccaro was born in Avigliano on 22 july 1894, He was son of Gianbattista Vaccaro, age 32 and of Domenica Maria Paolucci?.
and... Carmine... com'è piccolo il mondo!

Laura :D
JTV36

Post by JTV36 »

Carmine
James is not my family...
My Aunt Mae..oldest sibling in fathers family was born Dec 18, 1914 so
Domenica / Maria must have arrived here late December 1913.
The Family did live on Beech street for a while then Sand Street
Antonio Vaccaro was my Grandfathers brother
The Summa family's Vito was my Grandmothers Brother
Still have not found record of Grandmother coming in to country and that would be link to finding out more on her parents and brothers/sisters...JTV36
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think that Domenica was not married when she arrived in the U.S. and that she married Canio here. I found in the Westchester County NY archives marriage index, the following:

Vaccaro Canio certificate #13867 1913
Mary Summa certificate #13867 1913

I think that instead of being Domenica Maria, the bride's name could have been Maria Domenica and that is why her name is just Mary in the index

http://www.westchestergov.com/wcarchives/

there is also information on the website about how to order a record found in the index
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I also think the following may be a passenger list of interest-

First Name: Domenica
Last Name: Seuma
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Cen..., Italy
Date of Arrival: May 24, 1912
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: San Giorgio
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0003

This person is the right age, but it looks like she was going to CT. It's a hard to read manifest and the original manifest is the wrong one on the Ellis Island website.

on the stevemorse.org website, I found it searching on the missing manifest option

Date May 25, 1912, Series T715, Roll 1868, Frames 60 and 61
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

maestra36 wrote:I think that Domenica was not married when she arrived in the U.S. and that she married Canio here. I found in the Westchester County NY archives marriage index, the following:

Vaccaro Canio certificate #13867 1913
Mary Summa certificate #13867 1913

I think that instead of being Domenica Maria, the bride's name could have been Maria Domenica and that is why her name is just Mary in the index

http://www.westchestergov.com/wcarchives/
Good find. There are just not that many Canio Vaccaro's in this world, so this record should be considered carefully along with the census I posted previously.

John, for what it is worth, I was told many things about my paternal grandfather and our shared maternal grandfather which turned out to be incorrect, including the "fact" that neither of them became naturalized US citizens (they both did).

Do you have your father's long-form birth certificate - the one that gives his parent's full names and ages (or birth dates)? That would help clear up some of these questions.
Carmine

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

She was not from Avigliano but I am having trouble making out the town and her father's name

Carmine
Can you look at that manifest I found and see if you can read any of the info on it concerning the town name and name of her father? Thanks
Peg
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

This person is the right age, but it looks like she was going to CT.
Peg, Port Chester, NY borders Greenwich, CT, where the extended family eventually ended up. Unless my memory is totally whacked out, as a kid I visited Uncle Sal and Aunt Pauline in their Greenwich home and Sal's father Canio lived in the same house (it was an up/down duplex, wasn't it John?).

I was young and it was sooo loonng ago... :)
Carmine

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Carmine
Even though I no longer live in the area, I'm from the Bronx/Yonkers area and know Westchester County and that Port Chester borders Greenwich, CT. Been up in that area many times in my lifetime. That passenger list looks like it says Hartford CT. Can you see the image? I really can't make out the father's first name and the address. Also I can't read the Italian town name. The mother was still in Italy.
Peg